Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
    1 times

Re: very old carvings...pic(s) JS

There are a few story going around about how they found a cashe when putting the Mountain Parkway in, in the early 60's. Someone and also my uncle has made to light about the parkway being built over top the great cave. They said they had found a cave clearing for the way of the road, they claim that a dumptruck load of something was brought out of it, and then it was covered up and the road run just in front of it, it was suppost to be found just past the place where the rest area is going towards Wolfe co. on the right hand side. My uncles freind who had searched for Swifts mine for many years give up claiming the Mountain Parkway was built over the spot....
    I for one dont belive this, as the cave Swift spoke of was a old Shawnee burrial ground, if anything like this was found it would have stoped the work for a bit, and the find would have been known about, as its a historical place as well. I dont think they would have just destoyed it like that........If there are any other storys going around please take the time to share........ -Ki-
    "A picture can speak a thousand words"

us
    Feb 2008
    Pikeville, Ky
    Garrett Ace 250
    7 times
    Historical Artifact Preservation

Well Ki, that sometimes isn't the case. Here where I live, there were some indian caves I used to go to when I was a kid. Well, there was a mining company that stripped the land, and supposedly blasted the property where the caves were, against the wishes of the landowners. Because I guess legally they had the right. I haven't been able to get back in there for years, and with the change of the land, I don't know if I could ever find it again. Now that I think about it, kinda sounds familar, don't it?....lol

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

I totally agree...i cant even imagine how much things have changed around here, before the whole settlement rush.

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

On the last trip to RockBridge i did find a couple carvings, one being "WS" doubtfully a swift mark but still sparked my intrest about John Swifts name being William Swift, also heard some story's about Swifts brother being named William...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08-29-09 021.jpg 
Views:	1483 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	334755  

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    817 times

Thousands of acres of my childhood stomping grounds have been rent asunder by D9 Cats and greedy coal operators .
    It's frustrating to find markers on untouched ground and look back to a spoil bank and the same when you look forward . Like getting the Queen of Spades passed to you with no backers and there you sit......Gonna get your butt kicked .
    Wolfpack forever

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by truckinbutch
    Thousands of acres of my childhood stomping grounds have been rent asunder by D9 Cats and greedy coal operators .
    It's frustrating to find markers on untouched ground and look back to a spoil bank and the same when you look forward . Like getting the Queen of Spades passed to you with no backers and there you sit......Gonna get your butt kicked .
    LoL i see your point there....Id feel more comfortable sitting at the table holding a Ace king of spades....

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

truckinbutch
    you mention D9 cats and coal operators sounds like their tearing up the land around where you live, they gotta have that coal "money in their eyes" in other words destruction.... This is what i believe happened to many swift markers, in the time since swift, his marks on trees and rocks where destroyed by coal mining, the building of roads and other things we use in our everyday life......

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    817 times

Such is 'progress'.
    Wolfpack forever

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

deleted

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

also a carving of a face, circles, and C G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circle carvings.JPG 
Views:	1311 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	25568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circle carvings.JPG 
Views:	1283 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	335750  

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

After further study of this carving, I asked for the help of Mike Steely. I sent him a picture of this carving to get his opinion of what some of these marks could be. The picture is below. With his software he was able to find a faint "SWIFT" next to the JS...He also found a few others that i could not make out. The location of this rock and carving are exposed to weathering, I'm glad i got this picture before the wind and weather erased the carving for good.......Thanks for your help Mike.
    Here is what he found....

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

If you notice on the top right hand side there is a 1763, i have outlined in this picture. Also could be a 1768
    Also found a "Mundy"...

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

I know this was a ancient symbol before the nazi's adopted it. It looks to be one of the two i have outlined above, anyone have any clues to what this symbol could mean?

Jun 2007
    1328 times

I do see the one symbol... where the "arrow" is pointing; it is a SUN WHEEL, from INDIA (VERY OLD); however, the "ANCIENTS" had the arms pointing in a CLOCK-WISE
    direction, and the NAZI made it a SWASTIKA, by pointing the "arms" in the COUNTER CLOCK-WISE
    direction... STILL a POTENT "symbol" of protection. YOUR "symbol" is "incomplete"... MAY be MORE of a MAP, DUNNO. OTHER "symbols" look familar... gotta get out my "Symbols/Codes
    books" & files. Will try to get back to you, on such.

us
    Feb 2006
    VA
    MP 3 Pro Digital
    9 times

Ki, this is interesting. At a potential entrance to a cave system I believe might have been Swift's "storehouse", over a year ago, I found a Swastika carved near the entrance (I think only Ralph knew this before I posted it here). It was a very old carving and very deep - had moss growing inside it. Anyway, I was CERTAIN this was the way to get inside this cave system. However, there were some HUGE rocks in the way and I was unable to gain access - I don't know if this was from the large earthquake of 1811/12 or where, according to some journals, Mundy brought down this part of the cave on some members, or what, but they (these rocks) were definitely blocking the way deeper inside!

Ki, when you have time, e-mail me personally at joejackson1919@comcast.net. I have something private I would like to discuss with you that I don't want to post here. Thanks!
    REV 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsors