Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: very old name carvings...(pic) Indian & Pioneer

Ki, that is a great find!

Ralph and I were working at the mine at our site yesterday. It was Ralph's first time there. He noticed immediately what I noticed the first day I found it - the worn areas where the miners would put there foot to get up to the second ledge to enter the mine. It is amazing how these worn areas in rock stand out. I guess there had to be several trips to wear out the rock like in your pic and at my site!

Keep us posted of your progress at your site. I find it very interesting. As you know yourself, many books on Swift mention Boone and hint at Boone and his crew also mining valuable ore somewhere!

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Great pics!!! keep'em coming! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR

My family's history ties in deep within the history of Kentucky over the past 250 years, in other woods my roots run deep. One of the oldest pieces of my family's history being in the above pictures. If you notice in the name carvings above over top the carvings of stoner, wilson, ect. there is a carved box, within that box is the name carving of "JA.S". In doing research, and researching history of early pioneers, and history of my family, i made this awesome discovery!
A couple years ago my aunt, and i where doing research of our family's descendants. We had found on my mothers side of the family that we were in fact kin to Daniel Boone. My grandmother being a Stuart before marrage are descendants of the same Stuarts that came through the cumberland gap with Boone and family. James Stuart (my descendant) was Boone's brother-in-law, He married Daniel Boone's sister, she being the first pioneer woman to enter the Kentucky wilderness with Boone and company. James Stuart, Boone, Stoner, and friends were known for looking for Swifts lost mines. It talks about James Stuart in some Swift books I've come across, He and Stoner being Daniel Boone's best friends. In a 1767 journal entry Swift tells about on his way to the mines while leaving from the Yadikin valley in North Carolina, that Boone and companions were very worrysome To Swift. Swift tells of trying to leave in secret, because Boone and others became aware of Swifts mining operations, and was curious of were Swift's wealth was coming from. It was this date as well that Swift took the largest pack train and supplies to the mines with him.
Now Theres two occasions were Swift, and Boone made the journey in to the Ky wilderness, around almost the same date. The first being in 1767 after Boone became aware of what Swift's operations could have been. The second being in 1769, The date of Swifts trip, and the date of Boone's trip into Ky are almost the same. Swift made his trip into Ky about 4 weeks before Boone, and company made theirs. This possably could have been why Swift decided to close his mining operations and hide or conceal his mines, because Boone was getting very close to the location of Swifts mines. This is one theory, of coarse there are many others
Now In my other post of the rock carving of JS, turkey tracks, and crew, i believe for them to be older than the name carvings of Stoner, Wilson, and James Stuart in these pictures......thank everyone for the feed back -Ki-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread