Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    us
    Having the time of my life!

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    20 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Indian waybill to Swift Mines (Revisited)

Here is one of the mines on Caney. I think they are Spanish. Do you want to see a Spanish Death trap? Its hanging right over my head. Let me know if you want to see it, I'll try to post a picture of it. If you can see a rock sitting on a shaft I thinkits the trigger to put that Volkswagen rock on your head. One other thing Mason did you see the small drilled holes near the mine in the picture? Been reading someone Else's posts on those drilled holes meaning something to the Spanyards.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    Whites Specta V3i; Garrett AT Pro
    112 times

Curtis, I saw the holes. I have been in that mine before and like you the large rock over my head makes me a little nervous. Like I told you in an email, my great grandfather used to own part of Caney and his father owned another part before they were bought out in the 1960s by the government. My great grandfather said that that rockhouse that you are in, had two mines in it or two different ways into the same mine. The hole you are in is one way, and if you go to the other side of the rockhouse there is supposed to be another way in. However, my great grandfather was roaming in those cliffs as a young boy probally in the 1920s, and I am sure the mine has caved in somewhat since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis
    Here is one of the mines on Caney. I think they are Spanish. Do you want to see a Spanish Death trap? Its hanging right over my head. Let me know if you want to see it, I'll try to post a picture of it. If you can see a rock sitting on a shaft I thinkits the trigger to put that Volkswagen rock on your head. One other thing Mason did you see the small drilled holes near the mine in the picture? Been reading someone Else's posts on those drilled holes meaning something to the Spanyards.

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    112 times

The first picture was taken about four years ago, and the second picture was taken when I was a boy probally around 1991 or so. Both pictures were taken on the main Caney Creek.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCA1961
    EC Mason,

Which Caney Creek were these taken on?
    What county?
    How long ago?

Thank you for sharing them!

--Chris

us

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    20 times

Its funny that you mentioned another entrance, I would have swore when I first found that huge rockhouse (bakc in 1981/2 we came at the entrance to the mine from a different way. The other entrance must be caved in or buried. I kept looking for the places we tought the miners laid on, they were like benches cut into the rock and were very well worn. They are not there now...there were some fallen rocks ...several dumptruck loads...they may have fell right on the benches and other entrance! I kept thinking I know we were at a diffident angle entering that mine! Your relative sure helped out on that puzzle! There was a lot of locust posts in it too. When we first found it we got pretty excited because Swift mentions the locust posts. The one i am in only has two now.
    Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
    1 times

Sorry guys, i remember the carving now "ELIPE"... Is that a Spanish carving? Mike Steely if i remember correctly has a great story about this carving in his book, i'll have to pull the book out and read that part again.....
    "A picture can speak a thousand words"

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    112 times

Ki, I looked in Steely's book but I cant find where he talks about ELIPE. However, he does have a picture of the same carvings that I posted a picture of that has the name ELIPE. If you find the story let me know, I would love to read it. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ki-
    Sorry guys, i remember the carving now "ELIPE"... Is that a Spanish carving? Mike Steely if i remember correctly has a great story about this carving in his book, i'll have to pull the book out and read that part again.....

us

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    20 times

Ki,

If you cannot find the story can you sort of paraphrase it for us. Mason and I and maybe his cousin are looking in the same area for some clues that are possible Spanish ties to the area.

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
    1 times

Well.... E.C your right there was no story, but there was a picture.. This must have been what i seen, its in page 106 of steely's book. Steely reports the carvings are spanish..... I think i remember reading about this carving somewhere other than Tnet, if i come across it i'll let you all know..... -Ki-
    "A picture can speak a thousand words"

Jul 2003
    kentucky
    5 times

thanks to masons photo of the hand and with the other carvings of hands, i was able to connect the dots. we got it. there are 2 burial sites maybe 3. you need all 4 hands to find the locations and you need all 4 to find the snake. the 3rd is the snake pointing to a cliff at the head of the stream. the creek matches the snake perfect, the aerial photo shows a rockhouse or depression. maybe its where they camped? now, what to do? when to go? it needs to be dry.

us

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    20 times

I only knew of one set of hands, the ones you had sent about a year ago, what do you think they represent? Is there something (burials) related to them?

Jul 2003
    kentucky
    5 times

curtis, yes they are related to sites. whats buried? i don't know. but it has to do with the fingers of the little sandy river. each hand has its own markings on where to go to. the key is the hands carved on top of the large rock in the middle of the river, at the line of rock. whats so funny, we never new that those hands where there. we shimmed up on top to take pictures in a 360 degree sweep of the area and there they were. what ever is buried is still there. it just needs to be dry to get this done.

us

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    20 times

If I am not mistaken the dry season is only when the Army Corps of Engineers lets the water down for the winter pool. They will be letting it fill back soon! I was there last February (2009)and was excited to find some of the things we had talked about before. You have solved the main question I had about the natural bridge/arch.

Do you know of a natural rock bridge in Elliott or Carter Counties being 196 feet tall? Someone said it that may have fell in the 1930s?

Jul 2003
    kentucky
    5 times

there are 3 i knew about, i think. the 196' was at carter caves. maybe the other was big or little sinking creek. i'll look in my stuff.

Jul 2003
    kentucky
    5 times

ELIPE could be a last name. if that's an F instead of an E, you have Spanish name FELIPE, means lover of horses or Phillip in english. last the, Banner of arms of the King of Spain, House of Bourbon (1700-1761).

us

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    20 times

Boomer,
    I wonder how close we are to the place where the coin molds fell out of the rocks when the lightning hit. The site of the coin molds may help a lot (I posted on another thread that a friend found some molds back in the 1970s but they were on a ledge near the line of rocks). They were tested at the UK and they were w covered with bear tallow and rapped in bearskin. This other set may be a very handy clue to start some locations from!
    Mason, does anyone you know remember the discovery? Boomer posted a story about Swift or maybe a different Swift but in it the writer tells of the coin molds falling out of the cliff on the Little Sandy. He also mentions how that Swift may have traveled from the fork of the Big Sandy to the Little Sandy! This is what we (Boomer and I and others) have been looking into for over a 25 years—Boomer a lot longer. I will say once again I feel the Indian mines and Swifts are connected in that area! The Indian mentions 4 kegs of silver …so does swift. They both gave direction on travel form the Big Kanawha. They both had more than one mine(the five Indian mines are all within a 2 mile radius I have located all of them but one and thanks to boomer and Mason will locate the last one this spring/summer). The Indian tells of a lot of signs right around the line of rocks…the one rock house looks like it could have been a smelter but torn down. Boomer indicates there are things the rock map indicates.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsors