Indian waybill to Swift Mines (Revisited)

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
It seems we have another bell and another snake head. on the carving of the crane, everything matches except the legs of the crane. on the carving the legs run at an angle to the knee, than make a sharp turn toward the feet. on the aerial photos the drains run straight. there are no other drains that match. (why)? the carvings are vary accurate. this one change? they had a vary good reason for doing this. what if you had to run compass headings from the mouth of the two drains to certain points and then take another compass heading from the ankles of the feet and where the two lines cross is where you need to dig?? remember this was wild country with heavy under brush and bumper to bumper trees. anyway, this is all i can come up with right now. below on the carving see how the legs are set. Bell and snake head. this is odd, there is another bell and its at the ankle of the right leg and between the toes is a hill shaped like a snakes head. the point of the head seems to point at the small hill across from the bell. they may have had marker trees or rocks to show where something is buried. at the point of the snake head or on top. same with the bell and small hill and also the knees of the legs. on the top left of the photo is where a hill forms a left hand, palm up. just like the hands carved at the line of rock.

Attachments

• Crane Map mod 1.jpg
    Crane Map mod 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,560
  • another bell and snake head l sandy 2.jpg
    another bell and snake head l sandy 2.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,340

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you back Mason. I am like you really wanting to get back out there ASAP. I need to find a small HP gas motor for my john boat, the trolling motor battery barely gets us back to the ramp!

Boomer is the expert in the area...I kind of bug him with questions for things I have found or am pondering. When I want to see if something ties together he is the first one I go to for information. I was in the area the first time back in 82 or so, then didn't go back but 3 times in 30 years or so...trying to make up for lost time! Boomer has been in the area for a long time, and is store of knowledge about a lot more than Swift and the Indian treasures.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I am ready to head out as well. Last night I read through my research for a few hours and got the bug to head down Caney this Saturday. However, we are in the middle of building a house and I don't know if my wife would understand me giving up a days work on the house to head to the cliffs. However, I do plan to spend a lot of time this summer. Curtis, my dad has a boat that I can use anytime, so if we got together this summer we could use his, or he could go along. He is a Swift buff as well and knows much more then I do. Boomer, do you live around the Sandy Hook area? Just wondering because I do and figured maybe we know one another.
As I was reading through Michael Steelys book last night I noticed in the back that he has descriptions of different people that were involved with Swift. One man, James Stewart, who was from Virginia and was actually an indian fighter is listed as having been with Swift. This James Stewart actually survived an indian massacre (I cant remember the name of it) and is also a great grandfather of mine. I thought that was interesting and maybe that is where I get my treasure hunting urges from.
One more thing I noticed in Steelys book is that he lists several of the signs that are associated with the Swift legend. He mentions a crane that is included in one of the many Swift journals. I was wondering if it had any connection with the carving of the crane and indian on the Little Sandy. I don't know which journal it came from so I don't know any other details about the crane in the Swift journal, but just wondering if you all think there may be a connection. God bless.
Curtis said:
Good to see you back Mason. I am like you really wanting to get back out there ASAP. I need to find a small HP gas motor for my john boat, the trolling motor battery barely gets us back to the ramp!

Boomer is the expert in the area...I kind of bug him with questions for things I have found or am pondering. When I want to see if something ties together he is the first one I go to for information. I was in the area the first time back in 82 or so, then didn't go back but 3 times in 30 years or so...trying to make up for lost time! Boomer has been in the area for a long time, and is store of knowledge about a lot more than Swift and the Indian treasures.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't read the book yet, but if there is a reference to the Crane in anything I am interested. Especially a journal of Swifts with the Crane in it. Does anyone know how to contact Steely?

I would like to find out the information source on that one! The Indian and Swift just keep coming up with some of the same landmarks. As soon as I am about to give up on that idea, something new comes up. Boomer has a special interest in the Crane too, he has a lot figured out with the idea that the Crane represents on the shape of the river.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steely mentions it in his John Swift Silver Mines book that he wrote many years ago. Again, I just wonder which journal it came from, and would like to see if it is connected to the Indian waybill in any way.
Curtis said:
I haven't read the book yet, but if there is a reference to the Crane in anything I am interested. Especially a journal of Swifts with the Crane in it. Does anyone know how to contact Steely?

I would like to find out the information source on that one! The Indian and Swift just keep coming up with some of the same landmarks. As soon as I am about to give up on that idea, something new comes up. Boomer has a special interest in the Crane too, he has a lot figured out with the idea that the Crane represents on the shape of the river.

The_Frontiersman

May 22, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace - 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Curtis,
I have contacted Steely many times and would be glad to give his e-mail address.. He is pretty good about replying too.. I had many questions regarding his book and he was able to give me "some" information, but alot of it he had a hard time remembering exactly.. Here it is : [email protected]
Let me know what he has to say.. Have you or Boomer been able to make it to town any lately?? Remember to get ahold of me when you do.. Sorry it's been awhile since I was able to PM you.. I'm in the process of uploading alot of info on the Little Sandy area and would love your guys' input... Thanx for all the info and Keep it coming.. Much appreciated..

Boomer - where is it that you live exactly?? Just wondering if you are close to me or not... Thanx..

Casey - The_Frontiersman

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't made it down there yet, looking at this weekend if the weather will cooperate. Will call you if I can make it. With at least you, me, Mason, and Boomer we should be able to get some things explored even before the big round up. Thanks for the email address! Will get in touch with him to day.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wrong about James Stewart beging my great grandfather. Looked it up; wrong James Stewart. Oh well thought I would clear that up before people thought I was crazy.
EC.Mason said:
Yeah I am ready to head out as well. Last night I read through my research for a few hours and got the bug to head down Caney this Saturday. However, we are in the middle of building a house and I don't know if my wife would understand me giving up a days work on the house to head to the cliffs. However, I do plan to spend a lot of time this summer. Curtis, my dad has a boat that I can use anytime, so if we got together this summer we could use his, or he could go along. He is a Swift buff as well and knows much more then I do. Boomer, do you live around the Sandy Hook area? Just wondering because I do and figured maybe we know one another.
As I was reading through Michael Steelys book last night I noticed in the back that he has descriptions of different people that were involved with Swift. One man, James Stewart, who was from Virginia and was actually an indian fighter is listed as having been with Swift. This James Stewart actually survived an indian massacre (I cant remember the name of it) and is also a great grandfather of mine. I thought that was interesting and maybe that is where I get my treasure hunting urges from.
One more thing I noticed in Steelys book is that he lists several of the signs that are associated with the Swift legend. He mentions a crane that is included in one of the many Swift journals. I was wondering if it had any connection with the carving of the crane and indian on the Little Sandy. I don't know which journal it came from so I don't know any other details about the crane in the Swift journal, but just wondering if you all think there may be a connection. God bless.
Curtis said:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think you were crazy...was happy for you...its an intersting thing that genealogy. Met a lady at a hospital 30 years ago that said my last name was unusuall and that one of my ancestors was the first white woman to mary an Indian in the Carolina's, plus other stuff...now I wish I has got her name, the sources, etc. to use to look things up. I am having to start from scratch.

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Could there be more to the crane story and we only have part of it. Odd that this article says white men being with Brant?

Attachments

• White men with Brant.jpg
    White men with Brant.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,128

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtis; its been awhile since I have been on here. Have been pretty busy building a house and coaching basketball. Hope everything is going ok for you. Hate I missed the meeting at Grayson Lake, but I am going to be able to spend a lot of times in the cliffs and woods this summer. I would love to pick up on the Little Sandy search that we discussed in the past. I actually found something interesting that may have something to do with the story of the skeletons you were telling me about that were found in a rock house on the Little Sandy during the time of the Civil War. That area is also known as Crackers Neck; and during the Civil War both sides had recruitment camps on the banks of the Little Sandy. The Souths camp was called camp Dixie, but it was taken over by the North, then took back by the South. There are several stories of Civil War activity along the Little Sandy. Anyways, there were several skirmishes around Crackers Neck and I was wondering if maybe the skeletons found were those of soldiars from the war or had a connection somehow. I know the story goes that they were found during the time of the Civil War, but perhaps it was meant to be that the bodies were from the time. Another thing I got thinking about was the fact that a lot of these Civil War soldiers from both sides spent a lot of time in that area. Wonder if they ever found anything or played a bigger role in the area concerning treasure then we think. Anyways I will touch base more often. God bless.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Boomer, I know of a area where there are supposed to be Crane carvings. It's on the South side of pine mountain towards the head of Pound River.. Where'd you get the article? And do you know the date? The people that live around the place have Cranes painted on their gate...Coincidence, or is that the village area? Argggghhh!!! Dang This Weather!!!

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend I went out into the cliffs here in Elliott County and found these carvings in a large rockhouse. One carving is an X and right beside it is a straight line with a head on top. ( possibly a snake?) There is also several rock walls that were built up by someone. Rumor has it that this rockhouse was used by one of the first families to move into the Elliott County area; and it is also to rumored that it was used by either the Union or Confederacy during the Civil War. Its in a very remote place and is close to the river. It is the largest rockhouse I have ever seen. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 100_2354.JPG
    100_2354.JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 704

ECMASONDAD

May 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian waybill, info ? I am E.C. MASONS dad and my family owned property at little and big caney, here is a little more info I learned from my Grandfather, E,C Mason might remember some of this, Three carvings high on a cliff showing a hand with a finger pointing a circle with marks around it [ sun]? and maybe a wavy fish? these marks are next to each other, the direction thay are pointing is very interesting, I also have a picture of a snake carving I took in the 80s, the Indian head/ face at crains nest I have pics of. the rocks under-water at crains nest were a cabin I have info on who lived there and what they did, a very interesting story about a claim from the 1930s that a man from out of state made with my ggrandfather for 2 veins of silver ore, and I was also shown in the late 60s when I was little where a site on caney was covered up by my ggrandfather who had a building next to it was a vein a lead about 4 inches wide ,you can see about where it is when water is down, there was also a cave that my g-father showed me that when he was young his dogs went way down in it and he was afraid to go very far in it but he said his dogs sounded like that were deep in it, the entrance to this is about all fell in now. all the above was told/shown to me in the 60s and 70s. I have shown E.C. MASON a lot of this so he should have info. have some more to write about later

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum ECs DAD,

Glad to hear you share an interest with your son.
This exploring/treasure hunting needs all the people we can get involved...there is just too much sign for nothing to be there...I am interested in all of the places you mention..it sounds like I need to make contact with EC again and see some of these sites(and show him some). You really need a boat to get around there easily. So EC maybe you could PM me again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread