Indian waybill to Swift Mines (Revisited)

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Ki, first the Chief Joseph Brant was a member of the Iroquois League of 6 nations. Part of there territory ran into Kentucky. There were small bands of other tribes that were used as buffers against raids and the league gave them protection.

Chief Joseph was schooled in England and could read and write with the best of the white men.

Curtis,
There seems to be a problem with the swift map and symbols on it. Some say that the famous (101) carving is not swifts. But on map 2 it has it and map 2 is the most famous. Notice the left side of the map, it has nothing there. there should be a 101 and below it an all seeing eye. all are part of the Masonic symbols.
1. map 1: this is the carving that is on a cliff about 1/2 mile down stream from were the 4 barrels of coin were buried. The line of rock was blasted out by the corp of engineers, sad because i was told there were several carvings and names along it. Remember that he says go here look in, climb up, there has to be a reason for this, like the 3 trees in a rockhouse. there must be more carvings or something buried? The shaft of the arrow goes thru a rockhouse. i saw this and in the back is a small opening, never did have a chance to search this. Next to this rockhouse is a cliff that has a seam of coal that goes in a line to the small rockhouse, does the small opening in back of the rockhouse tye in to this? Past the indian is the 45 acres at the mouth of the creek.

Attachments

• Crane Map.jpg
    Crane Map.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,678
OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Next, if you will look at the center of swifts map, there are 4 sevens. The sevens and the 101 are on tea kettle rock with directions to get them. The photo below is the location of one set, with 101 and the seven. Where i was standing is where one of the mines is, when i took this photo. If you look close you can see the 2 pillar rocks near the cliff. The next photo is a close up of the rock with the 101 and seven. Notice the line carved into the rock below the 101. The 101 was used by the Masonic Lodge to represent the entrance into King Solamens Temple. The 1's were the 2 pillars on each side and the 0 represented the inner chamber or treasure room. On top of the 101 is a small carving that looks like a 7 but it has a small extension. This cliff runs for a short distance, like the carving. In the center of the 0 is a deep round cut. Nothing along the cliff has been disturbed.
The next photo shows a hand. Most Indian clans used some sort of mark and the hand carved meant something of importance.
The KGC stories tell of 3 hands. White, Yellow, Red, the last meaning danger. But this was a carving use for centuries by the tribes and they were colored. But every carving found had to be KGC or Swifts. On the buffalo rock is a carving of a hand with an X carved into it, palm facing up with the thumb longer than it should be, all this is just above mundays name, there is still some pigment of white left on it. The photo shows were the thumb led to. anyway I've got the bug or bugs. so i guess i rambled on.

Attachments

• 101 swift Map 2.jpg
    101 swift Map 2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 2,842
  • 2. 101 swift map.jpg
    2. 101 swift map.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,710
  • Hand 3, Swift.jpg
    Hand 3, Swift.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,532

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Boomer!

Its good to see you are still working on the Way Bill stuff! There is a lot more there than just the locations of the silver mines. I had read a lot about Mathew Bacon Sellers, had even tried to locate his granddaughter in Florida but never connected. Your copy had some great locations/ directions that Henson’s didn't have. Henson had sent me a copy of his Indian Way bill back in 1981 and said “I hope you find a million dollars”. I finally started finding locations and then when I read yours I was able to find the rest and the mines. I do think there is more to it than just the mine locations. Can you give me a little more info on the location of the Monday and Swift names…..I have been right past them and not seen them. I need to go when the water is down. I have really enjoyed searching the rocks and climbing the cliffs in the area. I know we still miss a lot but I have found most of the things the Indian mentions even the location of the “tree” trees…. believe it or not the rotted stump of one is still there. I also found some steps carved into the rock but not enough to be the Indian stair steps Swift mentions…although there e are sever places where there are the steps of layer s of rock that I think he was really calling the stair steps.
I did however find a Spanish name ELIPE and date carving up Caney creek. Sellers claimed he found 13 Spanish coins near his place …do you have a good location on his land? I know it was nearby, and sold recently (it was on the national register…how things get off and sold is beyond me).
In my research I have found things that seem to indicate that maybe the Spanish were in the area first, they may have used the Shawnee as friends or slaves to work the mines. Then when Swift came into the area he may have hooked up with some of the descendants who showed Swift the mines (read that he was part Indian or had married into the Shawnee tribe before his trips in the 1760s) I think the Indians Swift had trouble with were the Cherokees. The Shawnee and them were enemies all the time.
I am not going to disagree about who wrote the Way bill, but I could not find where Chief Joseph of the Iroquois was ever in Kentucky. After reading several early books he was almost totally in the New York area.. he did do some traveling down into the Virginia area. I wonder if the chief the waybill talks about is someone related to Cornstalk? He fits the time period and area better…just cannot find who it may be.

Sure do enjoy your maps and posts!

Curtis

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Curtis,
Joseph Brant
Joseph Brant (1742-1807) was a Mohawk chief and ally of the British during the American Revolution. He was instrumental in moving the Mohawks to Canada following the winning of American independence.

Joseph Brant was born in the Ohio Valley near Portsmouth, Ohio and was called Thayendanegea ("he who places two bets"). His father was a sachem of the Iroquois Confederacy, to which the Mohawks belonged; however, Brant's mother was Shawnee not a Mohawk, and as descent in the tribe was matrilineal, he never rose to the rank of sachem, although he did become a war chief.

forgot to add this,
At the line of rock, the rockhouse that is the bow on the drawing, next to it is a cliff that goes along the creek south. look up on the cliff and you will see a hand carved there, has a white color. follow the thumb. you will need to go up the carved steps between the rockhouse and where the coins were buried. along the hill south is a small round rock with a vary small hand carved and the date 1762. the thumb points southwest toward a hill on the west shore, past the 45 acers. dam i miss being able to get out.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great information Boomer. I live here in Elliott County and have looked for the mines since I was a kid with my dad. Anyways, I would love to find that carving of 1762 that you mentioned. However I am not for sure where the coins were found. I know of a hole in the side of a cliff that is close to the line of rocks that was once masoned up with rock, however I thought it might have been a cellar because of the cabin that once set next to the line of rocks. Anyways, any more information would be helpful. Thanks.
boomer said:
Curtis,
Joseph Brant
Joseph Brant (1742-1807) was a Mohawk chief and ally of the British during the American Revolution. He was instrumental in moving the Mohawks to Canada following the winning of American independence.

Joseph Brant was born in the Ohio Valley near Portsmouth, Ohio and was called Thayendanegea ("he who places two bets"). His father was a sachem of the Iroquois Confederacy, to which the Mohawks belonged; however, Brant's mother was Shawnee not a Mohawk, and as descent in the tribe was matrilineal, he never rose to the rank of sachem, although he did become a war chief.

forgot to add this,
At the line of rock, the rockhouse that is the bow on the drawing, next to it is a cliff that goes along the creek south. look up on the cliff and you will see a hand carved there, has a white color. follow the thumb. you will need to go up the carved steps between the rockhouse and where the coins were buried. along the hill south is a small round rock with a vary small hand carved and the date 1762. the thumb points southwest toward a hill on the west shore, past the 45 acers. dam i miss being able to get out.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place you found that looks like a cellar was where the four kegs of coins was buried. The steps are further around the hill and are just two/three that go up onto a large rock. Do you know of a guy named Zach he is interested in the same area. We should all get together and share and explore the area better. The more eyes the better.

Sure would like to hear more from Boomer and see if he could go. He knows more about that area and the indian carvings than anyone I have talked to.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Curtis, I am Zach. But you are right; you and I do need to head down in Caney when the weather breaks.
Curtis said:
The place you found that looks like a cellar was where the four kegs of coins was buried. The steps are further around the hill and are just two/three that go up onto a large rock. Do you know of a guy named Zach he is interested in the same area. We should all get together and share and explore the area better. The more eyes the better.

Sure would like to hear more from Boomer and see if he could go. He knows more about that area and the indian carvings than anyone I have talked to.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boomer here is a picture of some of the carvings I was telling you about that are on Caney. There are many more on this rock. I also used soapstone and didnt know that it was bad for carvings at the time. But oh well; live and learn I guess.

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 2,496

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason my picture is cut off about half way. There is actually another hand carved on it as well as many other numbers and symbols.
EC.Mason said:
Boomer here is a picture of some of the carvings I was telling you about that are on Caney. There are many more on this rock. I also used soapstone and didnt know that it was bad for carvings at the time. But oh well; live and learn I guess.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This picture was also taken on Caney. My dad and I used to go down Caney in a boat and we stopped and took this picture. However neither one of us can remember where it is. We know it is on Caney and we had thought that it was on the same rock as the previous picture I attached but we cant find them now. Anyone know where these carvings are?

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 2,513

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry everyone, my pictures are only showing about half of what it should. I will try to get this fixed and send them again.
EC.Mason said:
This picture was also taken on Caney. My dad and I used to go down Caney in a boat and we stopped and took this picture. However neither one of us can remember where it is. We know it is on Caney and we had thought that it was on the same rock as the previous picture I attached but we cant find them now. Anyone know where these carvings are?

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you scroll down to the bottom of each of my posts with the pictures, you will find a link where you can open the picture and it will show the whole thing.

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F-Point pinpointer, Gray Ghost ears
EC Mason,

Which Caney Creek were these taken on?
What county?
How long ago?

Thank you for sharing them!

--Chris

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Boomer where are ya?

Ive been reading some really good storeys coming from your guys area. Good locations for gold and silver!!!
could these carving connect to Lekain somehow? Great Pics E.C. ....... -Ki-

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pics Mason is talking about is on Caney creek in Elliott County, KY. We were sharing about having the same picture of the word ELIPE carved on a rock but neither are really sure where it was...I am thinking 1/8 mile from the boat ramp. For sure its on the right side going upstream! Near it is one that has completely different text and says "One to many a day" not sure of the meaning. Can't show you much else right now as its related to some really good finds dealing with Indian silver mines.

Like KI, I wish Boomer would chime in on this. As i mentioned to Mason he is like Mason's father, he knows about all kinds of carvings in the area. Not only that, he has some interpretations for the carvings.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one of the mines on Caney. I think they are Spanish. Do you want to see a Spanish Death trap? Its hanging right over my head. Let me know if you want to see it, I'll try to post a picture of it. If you can see a rock sitting on a shaft I thinkits the trigger to put that Volkswagen rock on your head. One other thing Mason did you see the small drilled holes near the mine in the picture? Been reading someone Else's posts on those drilled holes meaning something to the Spanyards.

Attachments

• In Indian mine.jpg
    In Indian mine.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 2,540
  • In Indian mine.jpg
    In Indian mine.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 2,461

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtis, I saw the holes. I have been in that mine before and like you the large rock over my head makes me a little nervous. Like I told you in an email, my great grandfather used to own part of Caney and his father owned another part before they were bought out in the 1960s by the government. My great grandfather said that that rockhouse that you are in, had two mines in it or two different ways into the same mine. The hole you are in is one way, and if you go to the other side of the rockhouse there is supposed to be another way in. However, my great grandfather was roaming in those cliffs as a young boy probally in the 1920s, and I am sure the mine has caved in somewhat since then.
Curtis said:
Here is one of the mines on Caney. I think they are Spanish. Do you want to see a Spanish Death trap? Its hanging right over my head. Let me know if you want to see it, I'll try to post a picture of it. If you can see a rock sitting on a shaft I thinkits the trigger to put that Volkswagen rock on your head. One other thing Mason did you see the small drilled holes near the mine in the picture? Been reading someone Else's posts on those drilled holes meaning something to the Spanyards.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first picture was taken about four years ago, and the second picture was taken when I was a boy probally around 1991 or so. Both pictures were taken on the main Caney Creek.
HCA1961 said:
EC Mason,

Which Caney Creek were these taken on?
What county?
How long ago?

Thank you for sharing them!

--Chris

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its funny that you mentioned another entrance, I would have swore when I first found that huge rockhouse (bakc in 1981/2 we came at the entrance to the mine from a different way. The other entrance must be caved in or buried. I kept looking for the places we tought the miners laid on, they were like benches cut into the rock and were very well worn. They are not there now...there were some fallen rocks ...several dumptruck loads...they may have fell right on the benches and other entrance! I kept thinking I know we were at a diffident angle entering that mine! Your relative sure helped out on that puzzle! There was a lot of locust posts in it too. When we first found it we got pretty excited because Swift mentions the locust posts. The one i am in only has two now.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Sorry guys, i remember the carving now "ELIPE"... Is that a Spanish carving? Mike Steely if i remember correctly has a great story about this carving in his book, i'll have to pull the book out and read that part again.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread