Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
    1 times

Re: Indian Grave Yard

Curtis,
    these mounds do over look a small branch......
    "A picture can speak a thousand words"

us
    Having the time of my life!

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    17 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

The older chiefs were supposed to like to be buried there by water is what I was told. When i found the ones I was talking about there were 5 of them. I found one in a totally different place and a relative with me really wanted to dig so we did but with the understanding that if we saw bones we were covering it back up...we dug all the rocks out and down below four feet never found anything at all just the pile of rocks. But some of the rocks were a foot or two down into the ground. The archaeologist said many of the really old ones have turned to dust and if you do not know what to look for you will dig right past them.
    Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    3291 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I hate to be a naysayer but this is almost a year old. I see and saw many places in the mtns like yours even today.They are not graves in my opinion. I have hunted and dug artifacts for over 40 years with and with out archeologist. The ago of those also with just piling rocks on a body would leave little left remains. A good burial is a couple feet inder the ground. Clear the rocks and use a probe for hollow cavities.
    Please know that digging graves is illegal though,,,,,
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

TnMountains... the pictures are from last year, but Ive only begun investigating this place. I'm not sure if the mounds hold body's, other things or just a pile of rocks, but researching the many aspects of the site it turns out to be a old Indian winter camp. "It was never farm land" one of the many things Indians done in there camps was pile rocks, if and when i do uncover a mound no one will know....and if something is found, not sure ill say much about it.....then again i might find something, or i might find nothing.......
    thanks for you feed back .... remember open mind

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    3291 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by -Ki-
    TnMountains... the pictures are from last year, but Ive only begun investigating this place. I'm not sure if the mounds hold body's, other things or just a pile of rocks, but researching the many aspects of the site it turns out to be a old Indian winter camp. "It was never farm land" one of the many things Indians done in there camps was pile rocks, if and when i do uncover a mound no one will know....and if something is found, not sure ill say much about it.....then again i might find something, or i might find nothing.......
    thanks for you feed back .... remember open mind
    You are right. Good luck on the research and hopefully the area will give up some more clues. Keep us posted . I have enjoyed the journey. Take care KI.
    TnMountains
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

Thanks, I'll research more on this place after i get finished with a swift location I'm at. Haven't had the time to travel back to this place here lately... hope to soon,...

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    Whites Specta V3i; Garrett AT Pro
    112 times

I have found rock piles like these next to cliffs, but usually there is only one or two piles. Would these be graves? I always assumed so and I usually metal detect around them, however I have never found nothing metal in them and don't really want to disturb a grave if I don't have to. However I may dig them just to settle my curiosity; and if I see bones I will stop digging.

us
    Having the time of my life!

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    17 times

The rock piles next tocliffs seems like a great way to waylay rivals!

But they do seem more prevalant in the areas near cliffs and over looking streams. The ones without rocks (just piles of dirt) are usually just the remains of old trees that rootwadded up as grandpa called it.
    Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

I agree guys...
    Whether something is under these rocks or not, they was placed here for some reason. I cant wait for the weather to break a bit, i plan to check this place out as soon as it does. In a book Ive been reading called "understanding treasure signs and symbols" it talks about rock piles, and having to do with Indians. quoting the author; "he tells of encountering several piles of stones that had been used by Indians as markers", exciting none the less.
    I wont know until a pile is uncovered, if i do run into a bone ill quit right then, and contact a local historian i know really well. Hope to do this soon...

us
    Feb 2008
    Pikeville, Ky
    Garrett Ace 250
    7 times
    Historical Artifact Preservation

Maybe the Piles make a design? Have you mapped it?

us
    May 2009

This reminds me of a KGC site. Check nearby for cloistered trees, other strangely shaped trees, and rocks. Notice anything that seems unusual or out of place. Notice the layout of the entire area. You may have to run an angle to another site close by.

us
    "Seek And Ye Shall Find"

Feb 2009
    EASTERN KENTUCKY
    1 times

Hey guys...
    This is what i have planed for a few days this spring, or at least when the weather breaks... I plan to search this area with a comb, also kinda map the mounds and surrounding area...

Got the mushrooms coming up soon, this is a prime spot for them so i hope to to this towards the end of next month, with camping out should give me enough time to do this...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors