Indian Grave Yard

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found rock piles like these next to cliffs, but usually there is only one or two piles. Would these be graves? I always assumed so and I usually metal detect around them, however I have never found nothing metal in them and don't really want to disturb a grave if I don't have to. However I may dig them just to settle my curiosity; and if I see bones I will stop digging.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rock piles next tocliffs seems like a great way to waylay rivals!

But they do seem more prevalant in the areas near cliffs and over looking streams. The ones without rocks (just piles of dirt) are usually just the remains of old trees that rootwadded up as grandpa called it.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
I agree guys...
Whether something is under these rocks or not, they was placed here for some reason. I cant wait for the weather to break a bit, i plan to check this place out as soon as it does. In a book Ive been reading called "understanding treasure signs and symbols" it talks about rock piles, and having to do with Indians. quoting the author; "he tells of encountering several piles of stones that had been used by Indians as markers", exciting none the less.
I wont know until a pile is uncovered, if i do run into a bone ill quit right then, and contact a local historian i know really well. Hope to do this soon...

jack flash

Greenie
May 7, 2009
This reminds me of a KGC site. Check nearby for cloistered trees, other strangely shaped trees, and rocks. Notice anything that seems unusual or out of place. Notice the layout of the entire area. You may have to run an angle to another site close by.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Hey guys...
This is what i have planed for a few days this spring, or at least when the weather breaks... I plan to search this area with a comb, also kinda map the mounds and surrounding area...

Got the mushrooms coming up soon, this is a prime spot for them so i hope to to this towards the end of next month, with camping out should give me enough time to do this...

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are just piles of stones from where long ago farmers (1800's) cleared their fields.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are just piles of stones from where long ago farmers (1800's) cleared their fields.

Possibly so, it depends on the context of where they are found. A cliff side does not seem like the place a farmer would pile stones, same with a place adjacent to a creek. A farmer would have just tossed them back into the creek! Now if it was just one pile and under an overhang/rock shelter I would suspect a past shiner's operation or a fire pit from a hunter/camper. Multiple piles 4ft by 7ft would seem more like an old burial to me!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trees grow and push rocks up into a pile and then a couple hundred years later the tree dies and you are left with an unusual pile of rocks.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trees grow and push rocks up into a pile and then a couple hundred years later the tree dies and you are left with an unusual pile of rocks.
Yes, I agree, I live on 5 acres of woods and notice that as the tree grows stones are pushed up and out as the roots thicken. What ends up happening is a lot of surface stones where the tree was.
In mountainous areas where the ground is very rocky, tap rooted trees like oaks have trouble sending that tap root down. Eventually the trees are large enough to catch enough wind in a storm and blow over especially along high ridges. Root wads of stone are lifted into the air sometimes 8-10ft as the tree is blown down. The roots rot and as the rain washes the stones out they create piles of stones. 100 years later the only thing you see is the reduced pile of stones. These piles will be oblong or oval shaped and their length will be approx. the diameter of what root wad was. Finding dozens of these in a particular area may be nothing more than a very old straight line wind event.
The article I linked to in the Indian Trace and pointer trees thread is dated from the late 1800s. It mentioned stone cairns left be the Indians and burials mounds along the ancient trace but you would be hard pressed to find one that was not disturbed or scattered at that time.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found these rock piles in many places. The most interesting had a rock wall built around the piles, and some piles were connected by a wall. The wall was no more than 1 or 2 feet tall, but obviously shows they were not made by trees or
A farm pile.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White man's grave usually have stones. The Indian Graves I have seen only have sunk in holes. The Indians mostly burned their dead. Sometimes piles of stones are where fields were cleared to plant corn and to garden. At least they are or were where I use to live in southern WVa.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
JMHO, I would never dig any grave. Very bad karma as far as I am concerned. I have a Lakota friend who warned me about buying artifacts at tag sales and flea markets. A lot of this stuff was taken from grave sites and has some real negative energy attached. I passed up a huge catlinite pipe at a flea market when the seller told me he thought most of his stuff came out of a grave mound. I could have easily tripled my investment but something (probably my guardian angel) told me "No". I do NOT regret passing that one up.
HH
dts

CT1976

Dec 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a story of a friend's uncle who dug areas and came across some mounds, which he took from. Within almost no time at all, things in his house were being misplaced, doors shutting on their own, doors being slammed, bad smells, and the like. He claimed that one of the Indians came to him in a dream and told him to put the stuff back, which he did. After he gave it back, nothing else happened and everything went back to normal.

I do not believe everything I hear, but there is nothing to be gained by digging near graves and it never ends well.

Coffee? :coffee2:

CT1976

Dec 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a story of a friend's uncle who dug areas and came across some mounds, which he took from. Within almost no time at all, things in his house were being misplaced, doors shutting on their own, doors being slammed, bad smells, and the like. He claimed that one of the Indians came to him in a dream and told him to put the stuff back, which he did. After he gave it back, nothing else happened and everything went back to normal.

I do not believe everything I hear, but there is nothing to be gained by digging near graves and it never ends well.

Coffee? :coffee2:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found these rock piles in many places. The most interesting had a rock wall built around the piles, and some piles were connected by a wall. The wall was no more than 1 or 2 feet tall, but obviously shows they were not made by trees or
A farm pile.

The short walls make me think they are early white settler burials, I don't think the natives did much wall building.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMHO, I would never dig any grave. Very bad karma as far as I am concerned. I have a Lakota friend who warned me about buying artifacts at tag sales and flea markets. A lot of this stuff was taken from grave sites and has some real negative energy attached. I passed up a huge catlinite pipe at a flea market when the seller told me he thought most of his stuff came out of a grave mound. I could have easily tripled my investment but something (probably my guardian angel) told me "No". I do NOT regret passing that one up.
HH
dts

I'm right there with ya! leave'm lay!

dsn

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2014
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother once told me a story of when they were kids playing on a ridge top where a pile of rocks were, they dug into it and found a blue turquoise stone but it got lost before they made back home, sure make you wonder

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ki,

they are trying to get hold of you on one of the other threads from JS about the RR gorge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread