The Legend of John Swifts Lost Silver Mine - (geographical approach)

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Re: The Legend of John Swift's Lost Silver Mine - (geographical approach)

This is just an example to my last above post.......

The Filson entry reads as follows:
1788, Robert Breckenridge and john filson as tenants in common enters 1000 acres of land upon the balance of a treasury warrent No. 10,117 about 60 or 70 miles northeastwardly from martins cabbin in powell's valley to include a silver mine which was improved about 17 years ago by a certain man named Swift at said mine, wherein the said Swift reports he has extracted from the ore a considerable quality of silver some of which he made into dollars and left at or near the mine, together with the apparatus for making the same, the land to be in a square and the lines to run at the cardinal points of the compass including the mine in the center as near as may be.....

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:) Is "The Journal" on-line? I would like to read it. I think they are "chatting" about CARVINGS of the Square & COMPASS, on trees, rocks... w/o the "G"; NOT, what is written. Would like to see "pics" of Square & Compass, as the "design" (S & C) MAY "tell" you a "guessed date". :icon_thumleft:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :read2: BTW, YOU have GREAT "pics", and asked Mike S. to review some stuff,
which is GREAT! On TN, JOHN SWIFT'S LOST SILVER MINES (CARVINGS) @ http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=118013.0 is ALSO GREAT! THIS/THAT is what we need
MORE of... :icon_thumleft: ;D

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vamelungeon said:
swiftsearcher said:
Below is an interesting link and sentence taken from the link. Let's see, "Vamelungeon" hates my "Pesher Code" theory and attacks me, his last name is Kennedy and he claims to be a high-ranking mason!

Cole and a KGC agent, he called Kennedy, with twenty men headed for the West Coast,with wagons, possibly, carrying gold to pay for the ships.

http://ancientlosttreasures.yuku.com/topic/6311

I have never mentioned what "rank" I've attained in Freemasonry, and have never said one syllable about any "Pesher Code."

You claim I lie - now that is the pot calling the kettle black! Here is where you mentioned your "rank" or "high status" in freemasonry in a bragging manner! Also, you stated you NEVER mentioned anything about my "Pesher Code Masonic" theory, that is an outright lie as well (See below your response)!
Reply To This Topic #8 Posted Yesterday at 08:47:47 AM Quote
I've been a Master Mason for all of my adult life (decades), have advanced in the craft and have an extensive masonic library, and I just have to bite my tongue when I see some of the misinformation that I've seen about Masons here on treasure net. It really makes me cringe. Now I'll be attacked or called a "naysayer" but that's fine. I'm just trying to defend myself and my fellow freemasons against all this poppycock and pure fantasy nonsense.

Here is where you bash my Masonic "Pesher Code" theory!

Your masonic theory is a bunch of BS, and so's YOUR list of 33rd degree masons.

Also, PLEASE point out one "lie" I have told (I just pointed two of your lies out and you have only posted 25 times - mostly attacking me!). BTW - Your first sentence below is asking a question. You need to use a question mark and not a period at the end of your sentence! ;D Wait, they don't teach grammar in decades of freemasonry - my bad! :D
Guys, don't ANYONE EVER question ANYTHING swiftsearcher says.
You can see what happens.
And swiftsearcher, you are a real keyboard commando. I'm "scum" am I?
If I told the lies you tell on here, I wouldn't be casting stones.

Again, please point out one LIE I have told on here. If I pasted something from a website that is incorrect, that does NOT count as a lie btw, as I did not put that information out on the web - just read it!

Also, I did take plenty of history in college. Unless history is incorrect, when nations "ruled" over other nations (such as the Phoenicians ruling over the Portuguese for nearly 800 years), the cultures mixed (intermarried, took parts of one another's customs, religions, etc.). So, for you to say that Melungeons are Portuguese and not any part Phoenician is definitely incorrect! I doubt you will find many PURE races on earth today, unless they are on an isolated island or jungle somewhere and have never experienced other races/cultures. With the facts being that the Phoenicians RULED over the Portuguese for nearly 800 years and you to say Melungeons are definitely Portuguese with NO Phoenician blood/heritage is absolutely absurd!

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel, unfortunately, Dougherty does not give the journal in its entirety. This was one of the first "pieces" I ever printed out on the web of Swift and very informative! Thanks Ki for bringing it into discussion and I apologize I have been defending myself in this thread more than participating on topic.

Here is a link to the article btw.

http://www.dickensoncounty.net/swiftsilver.html

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now, to participate in Ki's thread:

Ki, one of the things I have noticed about the many different versions of the Swift Journals is that, of the John Swift journals, the "core information" remains the same - the directions to the mines, some of what was hidden, etc. Also, these copies go into great detail. Now, as to the George William Swift journals, they are almost all identical as well, but go into less detail.

I have also run across some other journals, said to be Swift Journals, but in no way resemble them. I believe Mike Steely gives a great example of one of these in his book (a friend of mine has my Steely book now, so I cannot refer to it). However, if my memory serves me correctly, it is a journal pinpointing the mine in the journal in Rose Hill, VA.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Rebel - KGC said:
:) Is "The Journal" on-line? I would like to read it. I think they are "chatting" about CARVINGS of the Square & COMPASS, on trees, rocks... w/o the "G"; NOT, what is written. Would like to see "pics" of Square & Compass, as the "design" (S & C) MAY "tell" you a "guessed date". :icon_thumleft:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :read2: BTW, YOU have GREAT "pics", and asked Mike S. to review some stuff,
which is GREAT! On TN, JOHN SWIFT'S LOST SILVER MINES (CARVINGS) @ http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=118013.0 is ALSO GREAT! THIS/THAT is what we need

I have looked and looked for versions of the journal on line......no luck their my Friend, just story's.
They were talking about a carving swift made of the "compass and square" when he surveyed the area of the mines, Notice he surveyed........
This carving would help him map the area, as well as find the concealed mines on his return......
I would like to see a picture of this carving as well.......and thanks for the pic comments rebel

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

swiftsearcher said:
Rebel, unfortunately, Dougherty does not give the journal in its entirety. This was one of the first "pieces" I ever printed out on the web of Swift and very informative! Thanks Ki for bringing it into discussion and I apologize I have been defending myself in this thread more than participating on topic.

Here is a link to the article btw.

http://www.dickensoncounty.net/swiftsilver.html

swiftsearcher said:
Now, to participate in Ki's thread:

Ki, one of the things I have noticed about the many different versions of the Swift Journals is that, of the John Swift journals, the "core information" remains the same - the directions to the mines, some of what was hidden, etc. Also, these copies go into great detail. Now, as to the George William Swift journals, they are almost all identical as well, but go into less detail.

I have also run across some other journals, said to be Swift Journals, but in no way resemble them. I believe Mike Steely gives a great example of one of these in his book (a friend of mine has my Steely book now, so I cannot refer to it). However, if my memory serves me correctly, it is a journal pinpointing the mine in the journal in Rose Hill, VA.

No biggie SS, its all good........I agree Steely has several versions of the swift journal in his book, I just happen to have it. I will look for this today.. I'm thinking what your referring to is in the the Flanagan version, Parson version, or Uncle Scott's version, of Steelys book....

I also agree that the diffrent version also hit the key MAIN points......

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

-Ki- said:
Rebel - KGC said:

I have looked and looked for versions of the journal on line......no luck their my Friend, just story's.
They were talking about a carving swift made of the "compass and square" when he surveyed the area of the mines, Notice he surveyed........
This carving would help him map the area, as well as find the concealed mines on his return......
I would like to see a picture of this carving as well.......and thanks for the pic comments rebel

Ki, also when Swift speaks of the blue rock with three "chop marks" on the stream flowing South, he mentions hiding a "prize" near a forked oak and marking some trees with a compass and square. I have some pics of the blue rock, but quit looking that day, after finding two large dips at the rock, where something was dug up years ago and getting no hits on my detector. I figured the other "prizes" were probably not there as well now and that the trees might even be dead or cut down. However, after taking my better half and daughter out there one day, we noticed, in the distance, what seemed like some large trees with markings. It was getting dark and my daughter getting scared, as the wind was blowing, but I made a mental note to check this area out again at a later date to see if, at least, the carvings might still be present. I have always wondered about these particular carvings, as some journals state the carvings were MADE with a compass and square and were "peculiar marks", while other versions stated the carvings were OF a compass and square.

flyinpig

Jan 10, 2007

Gee..hate to get into the middle of this.

I have found 6 that lie within a 5 mile radius of each other. Found four in OH that was within 2 miles of each other. These are all old Indian silver mines and when you research it the Indians that bothered to write about it were right on the money, you just have to imagine what they are telling you…knowing its different symbology than we use...same goes for Swift clues.
-- Curtis

Would these 4 mines found in Ohio be in Southeastern by chance? Used to know of a place with a turkey foot (I know it is a common symbol of Indians) carved into a rock, this creek eventually drained into the Ohio (within a cople miles).

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:icon_thumleft: KGC ALSO used "Turkey Tracks"... ALWAYS go to where the LONGEST/MIDDLE toe is pointing... to the NEXT "clue", or treasure. IF... MIDDLE TOE is cut off; TOO late... "treasure" has been found/moved. :(

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

swiftsearcher said:
-Ki- said:
Rebel - KGC said:

Ki, also when Swift speaks of the blue rock with three "chop marks" on the stream flowing South, he mentions hiding a "prize" near a forked oak and marking some trees with a compass and square. I have some pics of the blue rock, but quit looking that day, after finding two large dips at the rock, where something was dug up years ago and getting no hits on my detector. I figured the other "prizes" were probably not there as well now and that the trees might even be dead or cut down. However, after taking my better half and daughter out there one day, we noticed, in the distance, what seemed like some large trees with markings. It was getting dark and my daughter getting scared, as the wind was blowing, but I made a mental note to check this area out again at a later date to see if, at least, the carvings might still be present. I have always wondered about these particular carvings, as some journals state the carvings were MADE with a compass and square and were "peculiar marks", while other versions stated the carvings were OF a compass and square.

SS, good point you bring up....I have wonderd this very question about the "compass & sqaure" ....... either they made marks on a tree with the compass and square, or actually carved the compass and sqaure on a tree or rock.....This could help to relocate any thing swift could have hid when he came back, also could help him map the area as well.....could work both ways

The compass rock on LDC could have been used for something like this as well....

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:icon_thumleft: Yes, that IS interesting. ANOTHER "clue" for y'all is a MASON'S MARK (MASONS MARKS) from the 4th Degree (YORK RITE). ;D They just "leave their mark"... so that "others,
in the know" will recognize their signature; a way of "signing off on it". ;D :wink:

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Rebel - KGC said:
:icon_thumleft: Yes, that IS interesting. ANOTHER "clue" for y'all is a MASON'S MARK (MASONS MARKS) from the 4th Degree (YORK RITE). ;D They just "leave their mark"... so that "others,
in the know" will recognize their signature; a way of "signing off on it". ;D :wink:

Interesting.... what would these Mason's Marks from the 4th degree look like? would they match any of the carvings associated with the Swift legend?
or are they like someones signature, something someone could reconize if came across?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

;D ALL "Mason's Marks" are individualized/personalized... NOT the S & C, or S & C with G. In terms of Swift's Treasure(s), my guess is MM is just a "sign-off", like a supervisor (like I was...) signing on on "junior worker's report"... sorta like saying, "Been here, seen it... GONE!" 8) (SUNNY out...).

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

I see what ya mean now Reb..... :thumbsup:

Which kinda makes me wonder how Swift would have carved the compass and square, some journals include the trowel. The marks where made on trees, which would make the carvings almost imposable to find, unless by some miracle the tree has survived all these years.
Swift-marker-1.jpg

This is something like what i would think the compass and square would look like.....If in fact if Swift carved the compass and square on a tree.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:icon_thumleft: THAT is a very OLD symbol of the S & C... TWO framing squares "interlocked" w/o the "G"; The TROWEL is also implying MASONRY. As a FORMER Stonemason's helper, I can vouch for these, being "tools of the CRAFT". :wink: LATER symbols would have the "arms" being shorter than the "feet"... STILL w/o the "G". You MAY find BEE HIVES, SCALE OF JUSTICE (BALANCE), etc.
I found a SCALE OF JUSTICE (BALANCE), carved on a HUGE bluff, here in Lynchburg, Va. & took a "pic" of it, which DID NOT "turn" out... gotta get a BETTER camera. :coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :D :wink:

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel, funny you mentioned Bee Hives. I have been doing much research on bees/beehives/Merovingians lately. There are bee carvings at my site, and, the bear's den and back room of the Rich Mine are shaped like bee hives inside, with a deeply engraved "G" beside the tunnel that is connecting the two rooms!

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Swiftsearcher, have you managed to open up the shaft at your site? I remember you liked about 3 or so feet, has your progress been good? Can you show me a picture of inside the opening, i would love to see it, mainly to somewhat compare it to my Mine. Send privately if you don't wanna post on Tnet. thanks in advance

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ki, unfortunately, when we were working on excavating the Rich Mine, I did not take my camera, as it was so dirty and I didn't want to ruin it. I do need to get back and get some inside pics however and will forward you some privately when I get them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread