Turkey Tracks & Symbols (pics)

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Turkey Tracks & Symbols (pics)

Hi Guys,

Ki is right.....where you find the hominy holes in groups is where they would set in groups and talk as they worked...either families or members of the same tribe. You might find the flakes of flint in the area that would be another good indicator of the proximity of the camp area. If there are Indian stair steps in the area and a natural rock bridge…well, they are key things… …you just maybe in the Swift area. As I mentioned before, keep an eye out for places where the rocks seem to have fallen all the way across the stream/creek as it may be that is a collapsed “natural rock bridge”.
Ki seems to have found a lot of items on the list…too many to be just coincidence if you ask me....and has proff (the pictures are great guys) I hope you guys are right …if so it encourages me to keep going in my area as the items I’ve found make me think I might be at the furthest set of mines.
Ki, as we talked about before, whenever you’re ready I can use my device to tell you if there is gold or silver behind the rockslides that may be covering up the entrance to the Great Cave of the Shawnee.
Another thing, I am sure you guys are keeping in mind some of the Spanish trail markers….some of the Indian mines were took over by the Spaniards for a while then the Indians recovered them. So the trail markers could still be there.…check out the one on my avatar…the carved out head looking toward the mine. I have found both Indian and Spanish sign and it’s in Elliott County.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR

Thanks for the kind words Curtis, you also have the "jenny" story in your area... A branch of the "warriors path" ran up through your region to Lower Shawnee town on the Ohio river, could have been the trail her and the Indians used...

your devise sounds great, I should have some time here soon...gotta get caught up on some work Ive fell behind on...

That is a very cool looking pitcure, i see the face now...could you send me a copy of that pic
-Ki- :hello:

MasterMason46

Jan 15, 2009
Elliott Co. Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Curtis,
Great pic, I have a couple of sites I am working on in Elliott Co. myself. One is an old silver mine dating from the 1700,s and the other is a vein of pure silver found by my gggrand father. They are not one and the same as they are on opposit sides of the county. I wonder if we could be looking at the same site or sites?

Also, could you send a copy of that pic?

Thanks

OP
OP
rhoodphoto

rhoodphoto

Jun 30, 2008
Was back in this area yesterday and saw that the turkey tracks point directly to this arch which is less than a half mile away. Lots of high stone cliffs and caves in this area. Anyone recognize this and have any idea as to the significance?
Ride Feb 20 2016 018Ajpg.jpg

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picture there rhoodphoto, I don't recognize the arch from that angle. 99% of the arches in KY are named. Is this one in the RRGorge or D. Boone Forest? Or private land? Seems the only arches left to be 'found' or 'named' are the windows/light houses/key holes that are generally less than 3ft high. The general area you and Ki have discussed in this thread I would assume is up Indian Creek? That area still produces arrow heads in the creeks along the main stream. Seems it was a major Indian trace into and out of the Gorge area. The original 'Sheltoewee Trace' named after Daniel Boone more than likely followed Indian Creek Northward out of the RRGorge and toward the Cave Run area and not Gladie Creek where it current has been put. As I recall, there is a thread here somewhere discussing mining tools found in the Cave Run area many many years ago. Gladie creek, Cloud Splitter and the Indian Stairway area were definitely populated by the Natives but I don't think it was the pathway through the Gorge from the the North. Wolfpen Branch would be another candidate in that area for a possible trace.
As for the Turkey tracks, I have always heard that those were made by the Cherokee to point the way towards good hunting areas. Seems I read somewhere that most of those are found in Western North Carolina/East Tenn/Western Virginia/extreme SE KY (Old Cherokee country). I would be careful assuming that they have anything to do with Swift or older Spanish Silver Mines. Would be cool to make a map of the region and place the turkey tracks and their direction on it and see if there is any sense made of them...or if they do make or follow an old trace.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Nice picture there rhoodphoto, I don't recognize the arch from that angle. 99% of the arches in KY are named. Is this one in the RRGorge or D. Boone Forest? Or private land? Seems the only arches left to be 'found' or 'named' are the windows/light houses/key holes that are generally less than 3ft high. The general area you and Ki have discussed in this thread I would assume is up Indian Creek? That area still produces arrow heads in the creeks along the main stream. Seems it was a major Indian trace into and out of the Gorge area. The original 'Sheltoewee Trace' named after Daniel Boone more than likely followed Indian Creek Northward out of the RRGorge and toward the Cave Run area and not Gladie Creek where it current has been put. As I recall, there is a thread here somewhere discussing mining tools found in the Cave Run area many many years ago. Gladie creek, Cloud Splitter and the Indian Stairway area were definitely populated by the Natives but I don't think it was the pathway through the Gorge from the the North. Wolfpen Branch would be another candidate in that area for a possible trace.
As for the Turkey tracks, I have always heard that those were made by the Cherokee to point the way towards good hunting areas. Seems I read somewhere that most of those are found in Western North Carolina/East Tenn/Western Virginia/extreme SE KY (Old Cherokee country). I would be careful assuming that they have anything to do with Swift or older Spanish Silver Mines. Would be cool to make a map of the region and place the turkey tracks and their direction on it and see if there is any sense made of them...or if they do make or follow an old trace.

The mining tools were found in the cliffs of Spaws Creek Branch, in the vicinity of Cold Cave Branch (Cave Run). There were NO money making tools found in Spaws Creek just in case someone saw that passage on here a few years ago........

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
The more I look into turkey tracks the more I am convinced they have nothing to do with Swift directly as they are found all over the state and most likely predate the more 'modern' named tribes. Someone posted this in an earlier thread and is a good read if your interested in prehistoric carvings.

https://books.google.com/books?id=A...v=onepage&q=big gimlet creek kentucky&f=false
Hiker
I think you're right in your thinking . I found this while doing some research Native American signs and symbols . Notice the difference in Turkey track and crane.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...462475223301&selectedindex=66&ajaxhist=0&vt=0 I think a lot of the tracks that are seen are territorial markers By Chief Tarhe (the Crane).

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is correct most of the 'turkey tracks' are crane marks instead. Interesting though, I have turkeys move across my property regularly and they leave prints more like the crane shown except the single opposing claw is slightly shorter. A bird cannot perch or roost without that claw, its the closest thing they have to a thumb!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...877847570065&selectedindex=64&ajaxhist=0&vt=0

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Turkey Tracks by native ppl lead to WATER sources in Chief Tarhe's (the Crane) territory; VERY wide-spread. Cherokee...?

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Cherokee ppl learned "Mining" from the Spanish Miners, who enslaved the Cherokee; Cherokee ppl later killed ALL Spanish Miners, and took over their Mines. Heh...

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
The same with the carving of the Crane, Think it was territorial marker as well. To many of them found around different areas to not be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread