Has your research included "The Mysteries of Swift Creek" ?

jimcor

Dec 31, 2009
East of the Rockies
Has your research included "The Mysteries of Swift Creek" ?

Howdy, first post and gotta say this is one cool place.

Now, back in the 70's Betty Jo Shepherd Chandler wrote a self published book titled "The Mysteries of Swift Creek". This book is the, pretty much, off the wall story of her family's search and discovery of the Swift mines in the Red River Gorge area of Kentucky.

Off the wall? For sure! Seances, demonic posession, wildly inaccurate descriptions, but still interesting.

Just finished rereading this tome and wondered if anyone else has had the dubious pleasure of reading this book.

Comments?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Has your research included "The Mysteries of Swift Creek" ?

I had heard of this one or something similar. Does she say exactly where the mine was? It would be interesting to check it out if she does. Each little items needs to be looked into as it may just have a shred of truth or a piece of the puzzle.

OP
OP
jimcor

jimcor

Dec 31, 2009
East of the Rockies

Curtis said:
I had heard of this one or something similar. Does she say exactly where the mine was? It would be interesting to check it out if she does. Each little items needs to be looked into as it may just have a shred of truth or a piece of the puzzle.

No, just vaguely. She claims her family found the mine, but no silver or ore, near the Turtleback Arch area of the Red River Gorge. I have hiked and camped in that area and some of the old Swift landmarks do seem to fit, but we all know how easy it is to make a location fit a description.

Many of the trail descriptions, rock shelter locations, etc. in the book just won't hold water. I know. I checked them out.

However, some of the local people she claims to have met and searched with indeed do live in the area, yes, I checked.

She also claims to have met with and was befriended by MR. and Mrs. Paul Henson.

I have found rock carvings in other areas of the Gorge that hint of the Swift mine. Again, location can be made to fit the landmarks.

Am I a serious hunter? Nah, not really. Just get a kick out of beautiful eastern KY.

BTW, I've also been thru the dirt Forest Service road thru Pound Gap in Virginia, on a motorcycle no less, so I guess I've "explored" that area too! :laughing7:

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR

I think i have heard of this book too, just haven't been able to find it. Would love to read it..... Does she mention who the family or familys may have been??

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How can we get a copy of the book...is it still in print? Sounds like good material to be familiar with!

OP
OP
jimcor

jimcor

Dec 31, 2009
East of the Rockies

Lordy, lordy I'm certainly not trying to sell this book. We have it in the Main branch of the Lexington Public Library. I think it is also in the Dayton, Ohio library. ( The author and her family were from Middletown, Ohio) A google on amazon produced this link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0533056292/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

If you buy this book, buy it for the crazy story, not serious research, but you will still get a kick out of it.

Now the families mentioned that I have checked out. I should have said family. Guilty of exaggeration a bit here. 3 families mentioned.

(Old Lady) Mrs. Timmons. Yes, there was a Mrs. Timmons. She had passed away before this story enfolded and I took a bit of poetic license because Timmon's Arch (which I never could find) was in the vacinity. It's on the topos.

The Lykins family. Yes, this is the family mentioned in the book that I verified lived above the Swift Creek Gorge (canyon). Friendly folks, nope didn't talk to them, but when I was checking out their mailbox a big ol' boy came around the corner and we both waved at each other. He didn't seem to think anything strange about me looking at the mailbox from my car...being a celebrity, I reckon.

Now the Henson relationship. Some of the things Betty Jo said about the mine and Mr. Henson I dunno. She claimed Michael Paul Henson said they found the mine. I don't believe it. I don't believe he said they did. Just my belief. So...

Just curious if anybody has run across this book. Once again it was a self published book, Vantage Press in the first hard cover edition, an outfit from Middletown, Ohio for the soft cover editions.

Yeah, long out of print.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

I'm very familiar with Swift Camp Creek as well, In one of Hensons books he gives directions to a mine on Swift Camp Creek. Pour ol Aunt Becky Timmons, she went to her grave looking for the Swift mines, even found and named the Timmons arch, plus she had a crew blast the rockhouse in Half-moon Cliff in the gorge.
The Timmons arch on Swift Creek is hard to find, almost have to camp for the night to find this arch.

Thanks for the link to the book, sounds like a great read..... -Ki-

The_Frontiersman

May 22, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace - 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Have there actually been any veins of silver found anywhere in the Red River Gorge area or surrounding areas?

rhoodphoto

Jun 30, 2008

Timmons Arch

Attachments

• Timmons Arch.jpg
    Timmons Arch.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,340

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Great picture of "Timmons Arch" rhoodphoto. It's in one of my most favorite places in the whole Red River Gorge area, the beauty of this place is absolutely breath taking...

Frontiersman, there has not been a recorded vein of silver found as of yet in the Red River Gorge area, but this doesn't mean that there is not a vein to be found. However, there have been many people who have found silver and gold coins, bars, igots, and other things in relation to the time around the 1700's.

jack flash

Greenie
May 7, 2009

I have this book. There used to be a Swift Silver Mine Festival and Treasure Hunting Weekend at Jellico, Tenn., and I met Betty Jo Chandler Shephard there and acquired an autographed copy of her book. It was interesting reading but I don't think I would use it for treasure hunting purposes. The Hensens and Mrs. Shepard had lunch together that day and were well-acquainted. Mike Steeley, Roy Price, William Jameson, and Tommy Veale are just a few of the other interesting people who attended this get-together. There was an abundance of books, research, and fun to be had that weekend. The last one was on 9-11 weekend and it has died out since then.

OP
OP
jimcor

jimcor

Dec 31, 2009
East of the Rockies

rhoodphoto said:
Timmons Arch

I never made it to Timmons Arch, and thanks to arthritis it's a good chance I probably never will.

Thanks for the picture. That is a very unique arch for the Gorge.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

jimcor....
I posted a pic(map) yesterday in the GPS topic that has Timmons arch exact location pin pointed. thought you might like If you were wondering excatly where the arch was located.... -Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

The_Frontiersman said:
Have there actually been any veins of silver found anywhere in the Red River Gorge area or surrounding areas?

Found this in a Henson book:
Several bars of metal were found on the Red River by Lemuel Johnson. He took the bars to William Adams, a blacksmith at Salyersville, Kentucky. These bars were found in the early 1800's, they were black with age, and found to be pure silver.
So to answer that question Yes metals have been found in my area. I dont think silver will be found in a vein, i believe its in deposits here and there, brought in by the glaciers. -Ki-

Tiamullins

Apr 19, 2010

I am actually Betty J. Chandler's grand daughter.She just recently passed away and I decided to do a report on her and that's how I found this.Her son is my dad.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Tiamullins said:
I am actually Betty J. Chandler's grand daughter.She just recently passed away and I decided to do a report on her and that's how I found this.Her son is my dad.
Sorry for your loss, grandmothers are wonderful..... I loved her book, she was a great author.

Tiamullins

Apr 19, 2010

She was writing a book on the bibel when she died,I wonder if my aunt will maybe finish it and have it published.Also,I haven't read her book yet.

caveman2

Jun 12, 2010
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250

does anybody on here ever go looking for the mines?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, just vaguely. She claims her family found the mine, but no silver or ore, near the Turtleback Arch area of the Red River Gorge. I have hiked and camped in that area and some of the old Swift landmarks do seem to fit, but we all know how easy it is to make a location fit a description.

Many of the trail descriptions, rock shelter locations, etc. in the book just won't hold water. I know. I checked them out.

However, some of the local people she claims to have met and searched with indeed do live in the area, yes, I checked.

She also claims to have met with and was befriended by MR. and Mrs. Paul Henson.

I have found rock carvings in other areas of the Gorge that hint of the Swift mine. Again, location can be made to fit the landmarks.

Am I a serious hunter? Nah, not really. Just get a kick out of beautiful eastern KY.

BTW, I've also been thru the dirt Forest Service road thru Pound Gap in Virginia, on a motorcycle no less, so I guess I've "explored" that area too! :laughing7:

The mine opening on Swift Camp Creek is near and below Timmin's Arch. It was claimed to be one of Swift's mines and 'reopened' by Mrs. Timmins and can be found to this day. See had samples assayed and found to have both silver and gold but not rich enough to draw interest in developing it.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...lver&y=7&x=14&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread