Comparing Swifts trip in 1767 to Boones trip in 1767.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Comparing Swift's trip in 1767 to Boone's trip in 1767.

Comparing Swift's trip to Boone's trip in 1767....

Both John Swift and Daniel Boone where in "fact" both in the upper Yadkin river valley in the summer and fall of 1767, the Swift journal tells "That Swift arrived in the Yadkin the 16th of December 1766, and remained there until the next trip to the mines in October of 1767. The journal tells of Swift gathering supplies for such a large packtrain being the reason so much time was taken in between trips, nearly 100 pack animals were taken to the mines this year. Swift also mentions "by now several others not of " our company" has became suspicious of our activities...Swift set out for the mines October 1st 1767, and arriving at the mines the 2nd or 3rd week in November.

(Quote from Steelys book) "In 1767 Swift left North Carolina with the largest pack train thus far, and attempted to leave in secret, noting that several others had become suspicious of his activities. Here some Swift researchers connect Daniel Boone and other Yadkin Valley longhunters to the Swift legend, contending that Boone and several men tried to follow Swift and find his mines".

Now let's look at Boones trip in 1767, Boone's trip was in the Fall or early winter of 1767 around the same time Swift made his trip into Kentucky (from the book Life of Daniel Boone) "On Boone's first trip into Kentucky he came by way of the Sandy River, Boone and company started from the upper Yadkin river valley in North Carolina. They crossed the Blue ridge, Alleghenies, crossed the Holston and Clinch rivers near their headwaters. They fell upon the headwaters of the West fork of the Big Sandy River, and continued their journey along its banks. They came to a "salt spring" ten miles directly west of the present-town of Prestonsburg on the Lick fork of Middle creek, a tributary to the West of "Louisa fork" of the Big Sandy river in Floyd County, Kentucky.
Boone here got caught in a huge snow storm.

(Boone describing the salt spring in his own words) "The salt spring which issued from the foot of a rocky bluff on the southern bank of the stream proved more valuable to them than a Mine of the precious metals, for it drew in great numbers of buffalo".

Notice Boone mentions "Mine of the precious metals" comparing it to the salt spring they found after being stopped by a huge snowstorm. I'm almost convinced that Boone was indeed looking for Swifts company During this trip. Both Swift and Boone were in Kentucky the same time in the winter of 1767, on Swifts return from the mines he went out by way of the Sandy river to Fort Pitt on his way to Alexandria, Virginia. This could be one reason why in just two years later Swift and crew decided to abandon and conceal the mines in 1769. Boone made another trip into Kentucky in 1769 the same time Swift made his last trip to his mines in 1769 and concealing them. There is a good chance that Boone was getting close to Swifts workings, thus giving Swift the reason for concealing his mines..

The_Frontiersman

May 22, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace - 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Comparing Swift's trip in 1767 to Boone's trip in 1767.

That could have been a factor in why Swift concealed and abandoned the mines.. The Indian threat was almost at a peak in the area around that time = making it super dangerous to be anywhere West of the mountains.. Even if he had some Shawnee with him there were way more hostile shawnee that definitely outnumbered the few who were with Swift.. I wouldn't doubt if that was the only reason he had to abandon the mines.. Although it is very plausible that Boone played a part in it as well..

The_Frontiersman

May 22, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace - 250
Primary Interest:
Other

"Daniel Boone" - John Mack Faragher - tells of Boone hunting in the vicinity of Prestonsburg, and most of Eastern Kentucky almost every winter even up to the time he leaves Kentucky.. Boone definitely knew of Swift's mines and probably several silver mines throughout Kentucky - probably knew more about Kentucky than Swift ever knew...

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Well a little quick search finds that the area is more southwest of Prestonsburg, than west. There is a Salt Lick Branch within the 10 mile area Boone suggests. But it appears to be on the licking river side of a ridge in the area dividing Floyd and Magoffin counties. But if you draw a line directly west, you will arrive at a place called Royalton, on the Licking River. The salt lick branch is a couple of miles south-southeast of Royalton. If Boone spent the winter there, maybe he would have used rock shelters in the area. I guess a little time on the ground would explain more. There is something there. This area within I'd say a 10-12 mile radius of a place called State road Fork, there was alot of indian activity. Alot of stories. Heck, the Jenny Wiley story is in the area, Harmon's Station isn't far from there. The Indians supposedly mined lead ore, making Jenny run it out. Michael Paul Henson states where Jenny was held was on Little Mudlick creek, which is within the 10-15 mile radius of Boone's journey. Maybe the Mine Boone was referring was the lead mine, as the precious metals are usually found with lead. Maybe, maybe, maybe....but? I guess there would have to be alot more research to yield more...

-Swiftfan-

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its interesting looking at the similarities between Boone and Swift. I have wondered for years if the two knew each other or were connected in any way. An interesting tidbit is that Boone and John Filson, who I believe plays a larger role in the Swift legend then is currently thought, used to read Johnathon Swifts Gulliver's Travels to their men. It was one of Boone's favorite books. Personally I believe that John Swift was a real man who did something in these mountains over two hundred years ago, however it does leave the possibility that Swift was actually Filson. I know this is a theory that has already been written about, and if it were proven true, then it still does not explain the mines, silver, coins, carvings and so on that have been found in relation to early silver legends. Okay I am rambling now. God bless.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well E.C., if I remember right Boone even named a creek after someone or something from Gulliver's Travels. Like you i doubt the Swift legend is made up. One of the things someone told me was there was some investigation as to what ever happend to Fulison. Someone said he eventually turned up being found in New Orleans and was swindling people at times. Don't know where they got there info.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

In trying to understand the movements of Swift and Boone, I always bump up against both of theses men's trips to Kentucky in 1769 as well. Swift writes in his journal that at near the headwaters of the Big Sandy Creek that they went "west" a considerable distance and reached the mines. Now Boones trip in 69 he tells of entering Kentucky through Pound Gap (not the Cumberland) which was a branch of the "warriors path". This would have put Boone and Finley near the headwaters of the Sandy Creek, from here Boone tells of going "west" a considerable distance until he finaly pushed on through to Powells Valley and found the Red River trail, from here they went to the former site of "Eskippakithiki". So if Swift went west from an area close to where Boone went west, that would put both these men on the Red River somewhere I strongly believe. Also something interesting is the fact that Swift's trip to Ky began in May as well as Boones trip to Ky started in May, both men reached Ky about two weeks diffrent than one another, Boone reaching Ky in early May, and Swift about the 3rd week in May. This is why i believe Swift decided to shut down the mines because Boone was getting close to his workings, as well as the Indian wars was heating up.

Curtis to answer your question above, Boone was camping on the Red River here on a tributary named Lulbegrud Creek. Boone tells "while camped along Lulbegrud creek, one of the men read to the others from a book he had brought along called Gulliver's Travels. Gulliver escaped from his enemies at Lulbegrud creek. So far they had escaped from the Indians and thought it a good name for the creek where they were camped. They camped here all winter until the Indians drove them back to the settlements. As for Filson word is he disappeared searching for the mines... -Ki-

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good stuff!
I remembered that they had named it for something out of the book. If you go just a little more wests you might find a trail going northwestward towards the Ohio (before Limestone/Maysville) that would take you to Portsmouth. I have found an Indian trace near there and may have been the one Swift fallowed. I am leaning toward the Elliott/Carter county areas or maybe into Morgan County. Again the coordinates he gave puts it in reasonable proximity to these areas. The other thing that makes me want to look there is the documented finding of a lot of silver bars/cinders in those areas. I am not discounting any other area, just curious about those. Has very much silver bar/cinders/coins been found in the Red River area? If so maybe you have a good area to look in. With all of us in the woods someone is going to make a significant find very soon!

I know i have said it before but ....there cannot be too many places that have a natural rock bridge, Indian stair steps, a big & little sinking creek, monument rocks, a haystack rock, a buffalo rock, etc. all within about a 5 mile radius! The first thing i did when I started searching in earnest for the Indian silver mines I found, was to pin a large map of the area I was searching in on my wall then put those colored push pins in locations...using different colors to represent certain items. I have started doing the same thing on Google Earth, their pins can be color coded too. Beats having to patch the pin holes in the wall! haha
I though t I had it nailed for sure in Elliot county last year because my brother in law found that Swift does not mention crossing the creek again when he goes up and over the area where the rock house is...and goes three miles...we followed those directions on Google earth and other topo maps and sure enough Swift mentions going near a high spot or knob and we found one exactly the right direction and spent a day in 20 degree weather looking but found nothing (except a place where the hill had slid) that would be the mine location. Many people forget about the high spot he mentions...so be sure to check out any knobs in the area you are looking! My good geologist colleague says knobs are good for mineral/metals as some of them are remains of small vents or mini volcanoes. Two of the old Indian silver mines I found were in knobs!

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

I agree. The best place to look would be at an exposed location. I have a site I am looking at right now, and believe it or not, I drove by it for years, and nevr noticed. This one is not swift related, rather it should be late woodland period for the Indians in my area. Just trying to get landowners together to hopefully start soon.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did you know someone found a clovice point in great shape near Grayson a few years ago? There is also a petrified tree (log) near Rt 7 and rt 507. Good luck on your search!

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Curtis... I think i do recall the trail your talking about, it runs from my area up to your area. I also think Swift used this trail more than he talks about in the journal. A good size Shawnee village, or trading post called Lower Shawnee town was located at Portsmouth on the Ohio and Scioto Rivers. The trail your referring to connected the Shawnee village of Lower Shawnee town to Eskippakithiki (Old fields), I'm sure it was used alot, even by Swift. Swift mentions Munday as being his guide into Kentucky, and Munday using trails known to him, the Shawnee, and the Frenchmen with Swifts crew. Id say this trail was very familiar to Munday.
There actually have been accounts of things being found in the area of the Red River. Most of what has been found have been silver bars. A few people i know here in town have told me story's about their grandparents finding one or more silver bars, these story's are word of mouth, I'm currently looking into these finds. Henson also tells in his research that "several bars of metal were found on the Red River by Lemuel Johnson. He took the bars to William Adams, a blacksmith at Salyersville, Ky. These bars were found in the very early 1800's, They were black with age, and found to be pure silver". And of coarse the Silver coins id found early last year in a rockhouse near the Red River gorge.
That's a great idea using push pins on a map, i have been thinking about starting one, to pin point the carvings, mine and other clues Ive found so far. "Knobs" very interesting indeed!!! The mine i found is in a knob as well, also Ive been reading that knobs with fractures are good places to find metals and minerals, the way they explain this is the metal would fill these voids in the fractures of the rock, leaving a deposit or pocket of metal or metals. I'm not sure that metal here in Ky would be found in a vein form, however I'm no expert, i believe that their are many deposits or pockets of metals in Ky, just not in vein form. i could be wrong though.... -Ki-

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Swiftfan.....
Exposed locations are i think the best to work with treasure hunting, The area of "Eskippakithiki" (Indian Old Fields) is a good exposed location, however the area is huge, but it beats walking through thick underbrush, and thick rough forests.... Wish you the best of luck hunting your location my friend... -Ki-

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Got to get out today...didn't go to the site. But I got out anyway. Alas my reward was only a couple of shotgun shells and an old mule shoe. Still felt good to get out though. when do you want to try to get together to hunt that field?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have it canceled twice, but now I have rotator cuff surgery on the 23rd of Feb. so unless you guys go a few weeks later I have to pass. I could go later on probably end of March. If you guys go check out those items from the Archaeological survey.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Curtis, goodluck with your surgery.... Hope to get things together on this trip the middle of March, and try to get to the location (Indian fields) the end of the month, hope you get to feeling better soon.....
I'll let everyone know around the middle of Next month, and we can decide on a place to all meet up... There is a good parking spot across the road from the church where you turn on to Kiddville Rd.

stilldign

Oct 21, 2007

Ki,
Thanks for the input. I have written many stories about the fact that most, if not all, of the early explorers were nothing more than members of the "family" "making their rounds" and making sure that nobody from outside the family was working the known mines of this newly formed country.
From Lewis and Clark to John C. Fremont (and many others), these people, like Boone, while being high-lighted in our history books as heroes, were nothing more than Illuminati members guarding (and locating) the wealth and mines that were established/found/located long before America became what She is today.
The Illuminati have controlled this country since Columbus (given credentials by the very serpent head of the Illuminati) "discovered" it. Obama is the latest one to take control, to rip off the proud people of this Country who are, unfortunately, ingnorant to this secret society and their secret plans of control.
It would be interesting to see some of Boone's original letters...I can almost promise that they are actually heavily coded treasure maps that lead to many, many treasure/mine sites.
Ki, I really appreciate your abiltiy to observe, understand, and put "two and two together." Of course, not many have this abiltiy to see beyond the B.S..
In closing, it is possible that Boone is connected to a couple of sites that will be recovered this Spring by a New York Historical Society. These sites, located in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, are already proving to be a wealth of information that connect many of our founding fathers, as well as these so-called "explorers."
America is a GREAT Country....and so is Her History. It's just too bad that the Illuminati feed us crap about Her history, and ALWAYS have (since Her conception)...but then.... they have to, the people of America would revolt if they knew the truth!!!! People would do things like....oh, let's see.....fly a plane into an IRS building?!?!!!!!?????

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Thank you..... i like to think of myself as a problem solver, always have.... Its helpful looking at every aspect when it comes to this legend..
-Ki-

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F-Point pinpointer, Gray Ghost ears

Ki,

When you and Curtis get together, let me know. I'd love to tag along if you don't mind and if I can work it out. Curtis and I have been talking a bit, and I'm really anxious to meet some of you all and do a little exploring. Thanks!

--Chris

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Should be soon, your more than welcome to join us! Just wished this lousy weather would break....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread