Prospecting for Gold/Silver in Ky - by M.P.Henson

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
There is gold in Kentucky! I have "panned" it in small amounts on Tygarts Creek in Greenup County. Gold has also been found in Ohio, and some high grade "panning" has been done in Brown and Morgan Counties, Indiana. The gold was brought in by glaciers...

In his very fine booklet "Gold and Diamonds in Indiana", W.S. Blatchley, a geologist, tells of glacerial gold and other metals being brought as far south as Boone, Kenton, and Campbell Counties of Kentucky. It is believed that the glaciers extended even further south...
When prospecting for gold, look for black magnetic sand, which is regular sand mixed with iron particles, that can be separated from the gold with a magnet. Also look for "fool's gold", iron sulfide which is pyrite. It glitters like gold with about the same weight, but will throw sparks when struck with a metal instrument. It will corrode and tarnish when exposed to water or the elements. It is almost certain you will find real gold when these two are present, and sometimes copper and sulpher...

I do not believe it would be worthwhile to prospect for gold anywhere in Kentucky except in Boone, Kenton, Greenup, Campbell, Carter, Lewis, Livingston, and Johnson Counties. (although "gold is where you find it"). I have seen deposits of "fools gold" in Johnson, Lewis, and Greenup Counties. I have not prospected for gold in any county except the ones i have mentioned. I have proof that silver was mined by the French in Kentucky during the 1760's and the location of one of their mines was known as late as 1900, on Kinniconick or Kinny Creek, in Lewis County. There are also deposits of Zinc in Lewis and Johnson counties. Silver is recovered from zinc concentrates and as a by-product of fluospar. Small amounts of silver are being recovered from fluospar in Livingston County today. Geologistd tell us that where you find silver you will almost always find gold...

The above mentioned counties are easily located on a state map and can be reached by car. So there are at least 7 counties in Kentucky that are likely places to prospect for gold and or silver...

This story was written by Michael Paul Henson, in his book "Lost Silver Mines and Buried Treasures of Kentucky"...

jimcor

Dec 31, 2009
East of the Rockies
I have that book, just can't find it. I remember Ziplocking it when I found it was out of print and valuable in its own rite. I bought it in a treasure hunters supply store in Arizona on a cross country car camping trip/ backpacking hike thru the Superstitions

We found the gold btw, dumped our camp stuff and carried all the nuggets out on just the pack frames. I spent all of my share of the booty on motorcycles, beer and wimmen. The rest I just wasted. :laughing7: :tongue3: :notworthy:

I do have the book, really.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
jimcor,
I was surprised to find this book listed on e-bay for 40.00 bucks in poor shape....The books do atain value, just cause of the info in it. I bought a brand new copy for 7.95, :icon_scratch: a couple months ago.....
I know of an awesome research book store online...

The_Frontiersman

May 22, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace - 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this book at my local library.. They also carried a book Buried Treasures of the Unites States or something like that.. He goes state by state and tells different treasure lore - good book... I hike around Greenup all the time, especially the Tygart area.. Thats very interesting that you panned gold out of there.. If you don't mind me asking in what vicinity were you in??

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever been hiking up the Little Sandy from its mouth? I met someone a year ago whose parents or in-laws lived right at the mouth and it was land that Daniel Boone had owned at one time. There was suppose to be a silver mine up the river about a mile or two.

cstraiton

Sep 29, 2009
Flatwoods, Kentucky
The_Frontiersman said:
I found this book at my local library.. They also carried a book Buried Treasures of the Unites States or something like that.. He goes state by state and tells different treasure lore - good book... I hike around Greenup all the time, especially the Tygart area.. Thats very interesting that you panned gold out of there.. If you don't mind me asking in what vicinity were you in??

I just returned that book "Buried and Sunken Treasures of the United States" to the Flatwoods Public Library. If that's the library you go to, it should be back in stock now.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is gold in Kentucky! I have "panned" it in small amounts on Tygarts Creek in Greenup County. Gold has also been found in Ohio, and some high grade "panning" has been done in Brown and Morgan Counties, Indiana. The gold was brought in by glaciers...

In his very fine booklet "Gold and Diamonds in Indiana", W.S. Blatchley, a geologist, tells of glacerial gold and other metals being brought as far south as Boone, Kenton, and Campbell Counties of Kentucky. It is believed that the glaciers extended even further south...
When prospecting for gold, look for black magnetic sand, which is regular sand mixed with iron particles, that can be separated from the gold with a magnet. Also look for "fool's gold", iron sulfide which is pyrite. It glitters like gold with about the same weight, but will throw sparks when struck with a metal instrument. It will corrode and tarnish when exposed to water or the elements. It is almost certain you will find real gold when these two are present, and sometimes copper and sulpher...

I do not believe it would be worthwhile to prospect for gold anywhere in Kentucky except in Boone, Kenton, Greenup, Campbell, Carter, Lewis, Livingston, and Johnson Counties. (although "gold is where you find it"). I have seen deposits of "fools gold" in Johnson, Lewis, and Greenup Counties. I have not prospected for gold in any county except the ones i have mentioned. I have proof that silver was mined by the French in Kentucky during the 1760's and the location of one of their mines was known as late as 1900, on Kinniconick or Kinny Creek, in Lewis County. There are also deposits of Zinc in Lewis and Johnson counties. Silver is recovered from zinc concentrates and as a by-product of fluospar. Small amounts of silver are being recovered from fluospar in Livingston County today. Geologistd tell us that where you find silver you will almost always find gold...

The above mentioned counties are easily located on a state map and can be reached by car. So there are at least 7 counties in Kentucky that are likely places to prospect for gold and or silver...

This story was written by Michael Paul Henson, in his book "Lost Silver Mines and Buried Treasures of Kentucky"...

yep http://www.research-unlimited.com/ Great people.... Its where Ive attained all my good Swift books....
LOOKS LIKE YOU WOULD REPRINT HIS BOOKS I HAVE ALL OF THEM THERE IS A BIG DEMAND FOR THEM RGB1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread