Yep, another Swift Waybill (part 1 and 2)

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff Boomer!

Those maps are great too Ki! Going back to the original Swift, I only have Henson's copies so I am not too sure about the accuracy...but at first Swift says they went west(and South west) then North. Later he only mentions going west and leaves out that North direction. I have been working on the Trace that he may have followed and still am thinking the Little Sandy is where we will find some of the original mines. The story you posted is really exciting as it helps when talking about the coin molds being found. Has any of your research put you in the know about exactly where the molds were found?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boomer,

Do you think this is the same Swift that wrote the journal? If its the same Swift that wrote the journal, the only journal I have says the creek ran in a north easterly direction You mentioned the Little Sandy, it flows in the right direction, do the others you mentioned head or flow in the right direction?

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Curtis yes, all my journals say northeast. has for the money molds, a man told me about a cave west of grayson ky. but i never made a record of it. he had a small newspaper clipping about it. 3 men were exploring this cave and one was leaning against the wall when part of it collapsed when they looked inside, they found some indian artifacts, mining chisels and a money mold. i wish i could remember the name of the cave. i looked on an old topo map and found the cave. the new maps don't show it. it was near I 64 on the south side. about 3 years ago, a treasure hunter who lived near the cave told me the same story, except it was known as murder cave. 3 young boys were killed in front of this cave. he also said there were a lot of carvings around the cave and you just do not go there. a spooky place. other mold locations, smoky valley, carter city, kinny creek, at the line of rock on little sandy, you know the big rock in the middle of the river, just on the east side of that rock is a small cove that the cliffs there form a perfect circle, by the way you can take a boat in there. as you enter, on the right you will see a small rockhouse and in there is where the money molds were found.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Boomer,

Guess there was a lot going on back in those days. Several money molds being found makes it certain there should be some treasure around! Thanks for being the go to person! Have you ever come across any pitcures of the arch that was where the line of rocks are? OR know of any collapsed natural rock bridges? In an older book I (1028) I found references to the different counties and in Elliot/Carter was a description of this huge 200 foot tall natural bridge...it doesn't seem to fit anything i have seen in the area. Carter Caves has 3 or 4 but they do not seem to be big enough.

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
the 200' bridge or arch. i seem to remember seeing a photo of this arch. i keep thinking it was in one of hensons books, has for the line of rock. there may be a photo of it at the county land office or the grayson library. one other place may be the old dam records, maps/photos at the ranger station at grayson lake. if they still have them?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx Boomer, I'll check with them the next time I am out that way...and maybe the gated area too. I have looked everywhere on line for any info on the collapsed natural bridge and can not find anything. Will do as you mentioned and get the ol feet on the ground again! ha ha

I have not located the source of the info on where the lightning hit the cliff and the molds fell out either. Might try the old newspapers or library in Elliot county...its just tuff to drive the 2.5-3 hours from the 'nati during the week!

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
DMSDAK, The marker I found was the road marker and there was also a marker erected by the Boy Scouts in 1948. It mentions Boone spending the winter there. By watching the terrain as I went, there are a couple places of interest I plan to get a closer look at. At the head of the creek there is a small gap the road goes through. Some of the rocks there may have some carvings to document. After all, if Boone was following Swift, or trying to find Swift's mines, he definately had some time to look around. Maybe I'll find something. Wish me luck..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread