Stories and Notes of old mines, Silver/Gold finds along Swifts Trails

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D APB for Boomer! :wink: Swift & Company (pirates/buccaneers?) PROBABLY went "in-land" (Kentucky) to start a NEW ENTERPRISE of counterfeiting coins for the colonies. :dontknow: Almost certain
that French, Native Americans, etc. profited from such as PROFITEERS until EVERYTHING was centralized, instead of each colony/state having its own coinage... DUNNO. :dontknow: :coffee2: :read2: BTW, Rt. 460 goes west from Virginia, too... AND! Rt. 60 WEST here in Va. was known as BUFFALO ROAD! :D :wink:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money making tool? Where did that come from?! More BS about JS. To whomever "planted" money making tool into the article, you should have your walnuts in a vice.....

Kentucky Digital Library

I agree, no mention in original article about money making tools. Read for yourself.

Hazel Green herald, November 01, 1900 https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...lver&y=7&x=14&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=5

CoalCaveSpawsCreek.png

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, just like the various versions of the Swift journal. If only they could be dated and refined down, to the mutual common factors, coupled with the known traces and what ever landmarks would be described in all of them. I guess it is just human nature to alter the journals as they are passed along. What a shame.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, just like the various versions of the Swift journal. If only they could be dated and refined down, to the mutual common factors, coupled with the known traces and what ever landmarks would be described in all of them. I guess it is just human nature to alter the journals as they are passed along. What a shame.

So very true. People trying to make the legend fit their area/or mislead others.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep Noticed he said most were found along Big Paint Creek and its western branches. I live within 5 miles of the original rt. of 460 and within 10 miles of the head water of Big Paint creek.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I agree, no mention in original article about money making tools. Read for yourself.

Hazel Green herald, November 01, 1900 https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...lver&y=7&x=14&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=5

View attachment 1684831

Unfortunately, this is why I distanced myself from Boomer. It was not a simple misread or copy/paste affair. I still scratch my head wondering why he added his own words to the article. Well, one could probably take a wild guess and be correct........

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, this is why I distanced myself from Boomer. It was not a simple misread or copy/paste affair. I still scratch my head wondering why he added his own words to the article. Well, one could probably take a wild guess and be correct........

I knew him to be a good individual, it was probably a matter of enthusiasm. He had such a storehouse of research accumulated, he also had a tendency to read between the lines. I try to let the facts lead me to my conclusions and not wishful thinking. One's ego can lead them on the wrong path from truth.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know of 6-8 instances where there has been stuff found in the Paint Creek area. Hard to say how many I haven't heard about. When I say stuff Silver bars, coins, etc..

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at topo's the past few days, it is possible one of Swift's mining groups turned up Paint Creek to go West toward Beattyville or Campton, instead of from Louisa. Technically speaking, back then, Paint Creek was a 'fork' in the Sandy.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah Could possibly be an area with mine/mines in it as well. Some where I read a legend that had longitude and latitude given for a couple of the veins they worked I wonder if anyone has checked them or the area out.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but those coordinates are not exact due to which ever meridian was used and the longitude being hard to calculate. It could still be 'estimated' if you go back and look up all the different meridians used at that time.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Given that Swift was supposed to be English, I would think he would use an English Prime Meridian. That would be the same that is used today.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely Boomer was stating the facts from his memory. I do that sometimes instead of referring to the research and sometimes I got it wrong. Same with Boomer. I do not believe he was adding anything nor was he trying to mislead anyone from the facts. Just my two cents.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Most likely Boomer was stating the facts from his memory. I do that sometimes instead of referring to the research and sometimes I got it wrong. Same with Boomer. I do not believe he was adding anything nor was he trying to mislead anyone from the facts. Just my two cents.

I agree franklin. It wasn't like he was getting paid $$$ for the info that he so freely gave, so what would there have been for him to gain. Many times I've seen him post info on here and basically say here is the info if ya want to do something with it, have at it. We all make mistakes, none of us are perfect.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

He had a chance to correct himself yet shifted the blame to someone else. I get that, I've witnessed that kinda of behavior in all forms of treasure hunting from all types of people. Regardless, I will credit him for all of the information he shared, I believe he had a good heart. I wish he would have found something more definitive before passing, he had a lot of time and effort into the legend.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that is possible, the only problem is what was posted otherwise was as the article was written. Just an addition was made by him or from whom he originally got the article. I have found some articles in several reprints within a month of each other in different newspapers within the state of KY. Even one that was printed up East somewhere. I guess 'news about silver or gold' being found was enough to sell the story to other papers. It could have been an overly excited editor who added that?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread