Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!
I had a good time Friday night at the campout and enjoyed meeting everyone and sharing stories. Meeting Mike Steely and talking with him about the Swift Legend was a realistic experience for me. Kelly, "Upthecreek" found an authenic Indian war club at the park while camping, he may have some pictures of it as I did not get a picture of it.
On Saturday morning after everyone met up at the parking lot we went up to the shelter house just up on the hill above the parking lot. Here we all congregated and shared stories of Swift and the KGC, as well as, investigated maps of the area/creeks around the Grayson Lake area and other Swift literature etc. Others brought many differint and interesting silver coins, fossils and other artifacts, etc., many of the items were very interesting, and raised many questions in my mind
Another thing I'd like to mention is that the "Elkhorn meetings" on the John Swift Legend etc., where many of the old-time "Swiftsearcher's", such as, Paul Henson, Ralph Volker, Mike Steely, Roy Price, etc., use to meet and discuss things, are still being held in the Elkhorn City Library's basement. If anybody is interested in attending any of the meetings in the future,
get ahold of "Jackflash" in the Tnet forum.
After we all concluded our get-together at the shelter house at Grayson Lake Dam on saturday, some of us went to Coonhunters (Wesley's) property on Little Caney Creek and put our trucks into 4-wheel drive to get down into the Little Caney Creek gorge to explored the rockhouse he posted on Tnet. Curtis used his silver and gold detecting unit in the rockhouse, we got some directional
readings of minute silver content in the sandstone in some areas of the rockhouse. After this we set out to find a cave on down farther on Little Caney creek that an "oldtimer" had told Wesley about. Wesley dropped me off in the gorge and four-wheeled on back to get Curtis. I began to walk down the creek and investigate the surrounding creek banks/cliffs for about four or five hundred yards and was able to find a nice outcrop of limestone on the corner of a small creek entering Little Caney.
I had soon located two small entrances into the limestone. I examined the entrance and waited for Wesley and Curtis to track me down, I finally heard them calling for me and yelled back to them. Wesley was excited he dove right down into the cave, "I thought to myself" no fear there!! He began yelling out , wow!, wow, this is cool! I kept saying does it keep going, he was yelling back, yeah, wow! So I crawled in as well and we explored the cave for about 45 minutes to an hour, while Curtis stayed outside as point man to insure our saftey in case something happened to us while we were in there. We found lots of exciting Ordovician to Carboniferous age fossils embedded in the limestone cave walls. We shined our flashlight up at the ceiling of the cave and saw what I first thought was gold, as it looked metallic and shined brightly like gold. Well we soon found out that it was a seam/vein of mud with some kind of golden mineral or substance precipatating out of it. The cave experience we had was the highlight of my trip to Grayson Lake, I enjoyed myself very much, as Wesley and his wife we very hospitable to me and Curtis. Below I have attached some pictures of some of us at the campsite friday night. I also had a picture closeup of Mike Steely"s Silver arrow tip, but some how the camera fouled up and I lost the picture. Maybe one of the other guys who attended may have a picture of it?
Now that some of us have met eachother from the forum we can maybe network better together and make some plans for future events, as well as, some of us meet up for a day to explore, investigate or check out some places of interest each of us have. I want to thank every body for their friendship, I hope we can do it again soon!

Attachments

• DSCN0059.JPG
    DSCN0059.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCN0060.JPG
    DSCN0060.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 363
  • DSCN0061.JPG
    DSCN0061.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,130
  • DSCN0062.JPG
    DSCN0062.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,269

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Swiz and Coonhunter! That huge chunk of quartz in the ladies yard? The one as big as a S-10 pickup bed the one with silver in it? Well it turnsout the lady is very nice, a native of the road right beside Coonhunter! She said her husband found that blocking the mouth of the same cave you guys went down into! Just kidding! Her husband found it while excavation for a building in Carry North Carolina and it was all his pickup wanted. She said he had unlcovered a piece five times bigger but someone in a big company got it to put in front of their new building. The piece we saw had some silver in it and might have a little gold too. Coonhunter you should stop by and visit her she seemed to want to meet your and your wife. Real neighborly lady. She is having problems with people stopping and busting off pieces of it.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Looks like you guys had a blast, really hate i had to miss it.... I notice a few faces in those pics, really would of like to met all of you. I'm going to work on getting another meeting together this fall, probally in late October if you all would be up for it. I'll host this one, were i couldn't attend this last one. Would really like to get everyone together again. My health is almost back to where it was. Ill start working on this as of today, if i cant get everyone together maybe a few of you all could meet up with me, and we'll go from there. Let me know if any of you all would be up for it? -Ki-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread