Great cave through mountain?

coonhunter

Jun 20, 2010
Rockcastle County:

Saltpeter Caves — Among the Rockcastle hills are numerous saltpeter caves, at which large quantities of saltpeter were manufactured during the War of 1812. One of these, called the "Big Cave" or the "Great Saltpeter Cave," four miles north of Pine Hill Station on the railroad and eight miles northeast of Mount Vernon, extends entirely through a spur of the mountain or "Big Hill," over half a mile. It was discovered by John Baker, who, in company with his wife, commenced exploring it with a torchlight. At the distance of about 300 yards, their light went out, and they were forced to crawl about in perfect darkness for hours before they found the place at which they entered. The arch is from 10 to 20 feet high. Large rooms branch off several hundred yards long, and the end of one has not been reached. Some of the rooms cover an area of several acres. The saltpeter manufactured here, before and during the War of 1812, gave employment to 60 or 70 laborers. There is a fine, bold running stream of water in the cave, and works were constructed inside for the manufacture of saltpeter by torchlight. Carts and wagons passed through, from one side of the mountain to the other, without difficulty. The way is so level and straight that oxen were soon taught to pass through in perfect darkness, without a driver. Visitors through it find a succession of grand and startling views. Dr. Graham calls it a twin to the Mammoth Cave in Edmondson County, only less extensive. He writes that in some of these caves he has traveled for three miles without finding an end. The formations being limestone, there is but little crumbling or giving way.

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Wesley, 08/03/2010@6:31 P.M.
Sorry I didn't get to this post until now, I read it, but I didn't get a chance to respond, been busy. I been in this cave before, its a pretty cool cave, "The Great Saltpeter Cave", it does go through the mountain. There are several other caves very nearby this one, the creek that runs through that area is called Roundstone creek, "I believe". Pine Hill cave is cool to, its nearby as well and its alot larger than the "Great Salt Peter Cave". It has seven miles of mapped cave passage, but its bigger that that, it used to be an old tourist cave at one-time, but they closed it off to everybody. Me and a friend went into Pine-Hill Cave, one morning about 10:00 A.M. after eating a big breadfast, it was winter time, we stayed in the cave all day and finally came out when it was just getting dark. When we got out of the cave it was cold as heck. I had fun exploring that cave with you and Curtis on your land last time, maybe we can find that other cave sometime? ya know the one that the old-timer said was a coule of thousand feet down from the one we explored. Well give me a yell anytime.

Swiz...

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys!

I keep remembering that cave hunt, had a great time with you guys! I have another one in mind when we can get together, we will talk about it when we go to Ki's meeting in October...you will be impressed...it has a treasure and its huge!

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
I cant wait to meet you guys here in a very few weeks, nice little video about the cave mentioned above.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

jimcor

Dec 31, 2009
East of the Rockies
The TV video reporter, Greg Stodlemeyer, (please excuse my spelling if it is wrong) is an excelletnt newscaster, sportscaster, reporter, and overall broadcaster. I have mucho respect for him.

I've been to the entrance of the GSP cave but never been in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread