KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any evidence that the rock cairns scattered throughout Kentucky are gravesites? I've got a little experience with a few of em, some of which were certainly not field clearings. I've never seen any evidence that points towards a definitive answer of what they are.

Most if not all would have to be 'checked' since they weren't sealed, most of the remains would have composted by now. I don't know if Indians used stone piles of that size for any other reason? The trail marker trees I have found so far around the RRGorge identify pathway or direction into and out of drains. I read somewhere that it was preferred practice for the burials to overlook flowing water.
Some have suggested that many years after a large tree blow down, where it is up rooted and the wood has fully decayed, a pile of stones from the root ball would be left in a pile similar...I would need to see that though for comparison.

Last edited:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ki,

Is that you? Did you go thru that money from the cache and mine site already?!! haha

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Did anything come from this. Would love to hear of what they found. Ky is so rich with history, honestly the Swift story itself is a treasure.

There were remains in the graves. I’d imagine any items they probably took those. They replaced the bodies and covered them up. I’m still gonna try to find the spot and go there myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread