swift map

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
No, maybe not. Haven't heard of a map of that kind... would like to see it to know if I have seen it before though... :icon_thumright: as I'm sure we all would!!! What is the story? Which Dr. was it?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sounds interesting, everything I've read says his sight was never restored, but that an Indian in the south had tried and helped it a little.

This would be interesting stuff, please share the particulars!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D 1 1/2 inch of snow... HA! :D It MAY not have been a PHYSICAL blindness, just being "blind" to disclose the location(s) of "interest". The WHOLE "thing" MAY have been an "story" with a purpose... a SECRET! STILL gonna find silver mines. tho! :D :wink: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: Coffee? ;D

OP
OP
S

SilverDawg

Jan 3, 2011
Well while doing research in the local library I came across this enterview with the Dr's GG grandson and in the article it told the story of how he came to the Dr and he helped him and in return he gave him the map. The family still has the map and the reporter looked at it and said it looked old. That is all I know on that I grew up on the farm where the Dr was raised he went to Transylvania College in Lexington ,Ky and he was a very big farmer in eastern Fayette county near Boone creek When I was doing the research I did not metal detect years later I started detecting and around his house is where I started I have only found 1 old silver coin in the area 1828 Bust half also have found many buttons, 1 a infantry button from the Rev. The Dr's father was a Major in the Rev. war and he and his father are buried in the cemetery on the farm . I have searched all over this farm hoping maybe they would have found it and brought some back to their home.So this is no joke the story is true about the map, I hope to do more research and try to talk to the family and see if they would agree to make a copy and see if it goes anywhere, you never know.

SmittyCity

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2010
Sounds Like an awesome Idea i hope you have something here would be awesome place to start from if the map could fill in some missing links. if I get the time with school this semester id like to hit up the red river gorge area and do some actual searching.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well let's see.... some legends have placed Swift dying in Lexington around 1800. If the good Dr. was in Lex., then There's a possibility of the story being true. But with so many different stories regarding Swift, It sounds like more research it needed. Would love to see a copy of the map. Sounds llike you are on a good lead. Keep at it, new Swift info is always welcome here!! Keep us informed!

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please check into it more.....the map could very well be real! With today's maps a person might be able to locate the landmarks and get pretty close. Can you approach the family and ask if you could make a copy--even a tracing?

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: swift map(Possible lead on Swifts map)

Hello all, 05/23/2011 @ 12:18 A.M.

Just popped in, I could be wrong about this? But someone had told me once, that Swift's original map was in the Library of Congress, Virginia, I think?, under some "designated heading" for old documents/historical maps, can't remember what heading though.
I haven't attemped to find it at LOC, but a friend or someone had found/accessed it, "he said".
He had described "it", a little to me, and he said that, there were some differences from the one/map, that we are all familiar with/Griffin Map. If any one wants to try and research this possible lead and get a copy, it might be possible. But to get a copy you will have to go there in person probably, as they will probably not copy it and send it to you. But the person who told me this, said he accessed it though a designated computer link at the LOC and that he had viewed it. Could be Bullshi* though too.

Swiz

Swiz

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft: It WOULD be the Library of Virginia in Richmond; been there... HUGE place & you need about TWO days to "see it all" (R & I aka Research & Investigation). Back in the days of SWIFT. et al... Virginia was HUGE area, covering Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee, parts of NORTHERN North Carolina, etc. etc. "Google"... Site Index - Library of Virginia. :icon_thumleft: :coffee2: :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread