Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!
Here are two carvings I know of in the Red River gorge area, where I believe Swift's "Upper Mines are located,...SPY 1715 and (1717t, documented), if these carvings are dates they certainly proceed any of Swift's travels into this area. The carving 1717t is a very important year in Freemasonry. For it signifies the founding of the Grand Lodge of Freemasonry and Swift, as we know, was a Freemason of the Scottish Rite. Another fact is that several of the members in his party were members of the Blue Lodge of Freemasonry in (Virginia ), as they were listed on the membership roles of the Blue Lodge. (This fact was told to me personally by the late Ralph Volker, when we met for lunch one winter day at the Richwood Truckstop in Richwood, Ky.).
Ralph Volker had done much research in the Red River Gorge and was the author/person who done the research of the S.J.M and Compass, Square and Trowel rock located on Lower Devils Creek, Ralph had showed me several other carvings that he had found in the area, but honoring a gentlemans agreement I cannot divulge them or there whereabouts.
The date 1715..."could" coincide with the Spanish being in the area, ( I assume). Because this was an era when the Spanish were conveying much Gold and Silver from the New World, (The Spanish Fleet Treasures, of 1715A.D. etc.), as for the SPY, I have no idea what this means, it could be initials of 1 person or three individuals, or something else, (just speculation). While we know these carvings are old and probably of european origin (Early Pioneers), they are definitely markers that signify something important in the area.
Another fact that I would like to bring to light is the fact that Dr. Thomas Walker in his approx. 1750 A.D. expedition also traveled through the Red River Area, one of the local creeks is named after him. (See Map Below). Dr. Thomas Walker had "ties" to George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, and "Peter Jefferson" was a menber of Swifts party, and as we know, George Washington and (Thomas and Peter Jefferson), were Freemasons and as I can only assume Dr. Thomas Walker was too. There are many other historic initials present as well.
*Another explanation is that all of these carvings, including the 1717t and SPY 1715 " and many, many others " which are of native american origin in the surrounding area of the Red River Gorge, to numerous to list here, are purely topographical and are small geomaps, that signify the location of Swifts "upper" mines, as well as, the location of the GCS, as Swift mentions in his journal, where they stored there refined wealth and other things, etc., etc. The GCS was known to no other living soul other than the members of Swifts immediate party and four Shawnee native americans as Swift states, in his journal.
What I am writng here is purely speculation on my part from research I have done of the many carvings in and around the Red River Gorge area, historical facts, local history/folklore, personal friends, etc., etc., and observations of my own. I'm sure that others have there own opinions, I am merely trying to point out some things. So feel free to respond, There is much more.. but I will leave it here.

Swiz.

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 557
OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Swizard said:
Hello All!
Here are two carvings I know of in the Red River gorge area, where I believe Swift's "Upper Mines are located,...SPY 1715 and (1717t, documented), if these carvings are dates they certainly proceed any of Swift's travels into this area. The carving 1717t is a very important year in Freemasonry. For it signifies the founding of the Grand Lodge of Freemasonry and Swift, as we know, was a Freemason of the Scottish Rite. Another fact is that several of the members in his party were members of the Blue Lodge of Freemasonry in (Virginia ), as they were listed on the membership roles of the Blue Lodge. (This fact was told to me personally by the late Ralph Volker, when we met for lunch one winter day at the Richwood Truckstop in Richwood, Ky.).
Ralph Volker had done much research in the Red River Gorge and was the author/person who done the research of the S.J.M and Compass, Square and Trowel rock located on Lower Devils Creek, Ralph had showed me several other carvings that he had found in the area, but honoring a gentlemans agreement I cannot divulge them or there whereabouts.
The date 1715..."could" coincide with the Spanish being in the area, ( I assume). Because this was an era when the Spanish were conveying much Gold and Silver from the New World, (The Spanish Fleet Treasures, of 1715A.D. etc.), as for the SPY, I have no idea what this means, it could be initials of 1 person or three individuals, or something else, (just speculation). While we know these carvings are old and probably of european origin (Early Pioneers), they are definitely markers that signify something important in the area.
Another fact that I would like to bring to light is the fact that Dr. Thomas Walker in his approx. 1750 A.D. expedition also traveled through the Red River Area, one of the local creeks is named after him. (See Map Below). Dr. Thomas Walker had "ties" to George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, and "Peter Jefferson" was a menber of Swifts party, and as we know, George Washington and (Thomas and Peter Jefferson), were Freemasons and as I can only assume Dr. Thomas Walker was too. There are many other historic initials present as well.
*Another explanation is that all of these carvings, including the 1717t and SPY 1715 " and many, many others " which are of native american origin in the surrounding area of the Red River Gorge, to numerous to list here, are purely topographical and are small geomaps, that signify the location of Swifts "upper" mines, as well as, the location of the GCS, as Swift mentions in his journal, where they stored there refined wealth and other things, etc., etc. The GCS was known to no other living soul other than the members of Swifts immediate party and four Shawnee native americans as Swift states, in his journal.
What I am writng here is purely speculation on my part from research I have done of the many carvings in and around the Red River Gorge area, historical facts, local history/folklore, personal friends, etc., etc., and observations of my own. I'm sure that others have there own opinions, I am merely trying to point out some things. So feel free to respond, There is much more.. but I will leave it here.

Swiz.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Swiz, GREAT map! Looking into info posted; am 32nd degree Scottish Rite, so know Thomas Jefferson was NEVER a FreeMason... DID have French Rosicrucians "connections", tho. :wink: Bro George Washington was member & later Worshipful Master of the Fredericksburg, Va. Lodge... been there! :icon_thumleft: :coffee2: :read2: :coffee2: Coffee? :wink:

Ky. Ken

Nov 14, 2011
eastern , Ky.
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack cheap one
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a possible explanation to the 1715/1717 dates in this link..
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/explorers/page/c/cadillac.shtml
At that time the RRG along with much of Central North America as we know today was claimed by the French.
Antonie de Cadillac: French Explorer was actually governor of the Louisiana Territory in that time frame in history.. There is a map and documentation of these facts in the link.

I like the map you have posted.. The map is of Dr Walkers travel and documents the fact that Dr. Walker had passed through the area just north of the Appalachain Mts.by crossing The Louisa R., The New and The Greenbrier R. on his return to Virginia as we know it today.. This tells me that the Cumberland Gap was not the only passage into the Ohio valley at the time Swift and parties were traveling into these areas. It has made no since to me why Swift would go to Ft.Pitt and then travel all the way back down the Blue Ridge Mtns.to Cumberland Gap just to get to the secluded areas in Ky. to mine silver and coin money..

vamelungeon

Jul 13, 2009
Wise, VA
Several of my ancestors were "Indian spies" during the frontier/Revolutionary era here in SWVA and in KY. "Spy" to them meant something different than it does now. They ranged about, keeping an eye out for Indian sign, and would give a warning if they found anything. Perhaps "spy" in the carving means something similar. Of course, it could be someone's initials.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vamelungeon said:
Several of my ancestors were "Indian spies" during the frontier/Revolutionary era here in SWVA and in KY. "Spy" to them meant something different than it does now. They ranged about, keeping an eye out for Indian sign, and would give a warning if they found anything. Perhaps "spy" in the carving means something similar. Of course, it could be someone's initials.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread