Swifts last words

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Swift's last words

I believe that a person is his most honest right before seeing the light of their death. Same is true with Swift. The moments before Swifts death, he was encircled by his friends and crew of his fruitless search of finding the Shawnee cave where he just years before hid vast stores of coined and uncoined gold and silver. I believe Swift was not looking for his mines but this cave mentioned in journals. Which brings up another question was the mine in the cave? I believe the rich mine Swift spoke of was located in either of 3 places, in, near, or on the way out from the mine.
Swift spoke on his death bed.. His last words where, " Never stop looking for a certain rock that stands near a creek that has three forks, it's near the richest mine I'd ever saw"...

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Swift's last words

I heard something similiar to this... As Swift lay dying, he said "don't ever stop looking boys, it's the richest thing I ever saw." I just never heard the location given as you have. Hmmm..

SmittyCity

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2010

I remember reading somewhere that after this he said something like (never stop searching for it boys itll make kentucky rich one day). so whether its in the mine or some other cave as i would guess or else he would call it the mine but it being near the mine would make sense i personally wouldn't want to carry alot of gold and silver very far just to hide it somewhere else.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR

Hey Matt and guys, its great to be back on Tnet....

By Swift saying this on his death bed, it gives us an idea of certain landmarks he was looking for when he came back to relocate his workings, i always love researching his return to this area. With Swift being nearly blind, and run down with age i wouldn't think he would be looking for his mines to work them again, he would be just to old to do so. However i do think that he came back to find what he'd mined years before that he couldn't carry out at that time. This is where the cave comes into play, Swift told in his journal that this cave was his store house for the coined and uncoined, both gold and silver.

Another pressure Swift was dealing with in 1769 was the growing threat of Indian attacks, the Kentucky Indian wars was heating up and Swift constantly had to keep an eye out. At that time any Indian tribe in this region would have killed and plundered any white man that they came across. This is one reason of why Swift hid things the way he did..... personaly i believe the cave is very close to the rich mine Swift talks about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread