A remarkable rock

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, Long time lurker on this forum. I am mostly a CW relic hunter but growing up in southern Ky I was also always obsessed with the Legend of John Swifts mines...in addition to the LDM, Oak Island and all the others. Anyways...I found this rock while hiking a stream in a very remote loaction in Ky 2 years ago. When I first saw it, the first thought that came to mind was the reference to the remarkable rock in Swifts journal. I know that there are probabely many like this in Ky, but this one is impressive..much more so in person than in a pic. Also, I remember seeing an article when I was younger of a rock bridge in Knox County that a stream flows under it just like the one in the Red River Gorge. Food for thought.

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 649

vamelungeon

Jul 13, 2009
Wise, VA
About 30 years ago a friend showed me a very unusual rock formation on Pine Mountain near Pound Va. I have explored around it and found some interesting things over the years, but have never had time to really check it out as well as I would like. I might go up there this spring or summer and camp for a few days.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I kwow the one you're talking about. I've been wanting to go there myself. I think there is a waypoint marker there showing the way to the mines.. If I ever get the time that is...

vamelungeon

Jul 13, 2009
Wise, VA
The place I'm talking about is near Camp Jacob, about 3/4 of the way up the mountain. Large outcropping that I was told is called "Tater Hill Rock" because of the odd lumps all over it. I'm guessing it covers a couple of acres. I was also told there is a cave under it but I've never found the opening.

SmittyCity

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2010
Its Kentucky... There are caves under everything haha but sounds like an awesome starting point.

SmittyCity

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2010
Still There are caves under pretty much everything in this area the hard part is finding the entrance that may or may not still be open

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not the one I thought. This is on top of the mountian. I think it's called preculliar rock..it's near Shelby Gap, close to Jenkins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread