Legend or Fact? An "Official" View

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Re: Legend or Fact? An "Official" View

:D TYPICAL state agency... like the FEDS! Let the ppl decide, as it is GREAT physical & mental exercise to get "out & about"! :wink:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

In the areas discussed as possible sites for Swift's acclaimed silver mines, there has been some type of upheavel millinea ago. Whether volcanic, earth quake or other geological disturbance, these are the catastrophies that bring precious metals to the surface, either through fissures, expulsions and or flows. This is the only way the heavy metals in the earth come to the surface. The RRP is a rugged, broken landscape typical of geological activity. The Pine mountain area is typical of a hollow earth system of caverns and limestone deposits left from either an upheavel or ice age removing tons of debri over deep ravines to create hollow structures. Either scenario is capable and probable sites for precious metals rising close to the surface. Whether the ore came from these regions or was transported there from other regions remain a mystery. It would not have been wise to transport raw or processed materials far in hostile territory, so logically, it should have come from a nearby source. Silver deposits and an ancient smelter have been discovered near Norton, Va. Whether Swift or the Spanish used these have still not been determined, and this site is not far from the Pine mountain area of Va and KY. The mountain ranges there have not been extensively mapped for minerals, except coal and natural gas deposits. What else lies beneath the earth in these regions is anybodys guess. Good Luck. rockhound

vamelungeon

Jul 13, 2009
Wise, VA

I wouldn't call that "definitive". I heard a geologist say there were NO silver deposits in Eastern KY and just a few minutes later was holding in my hand a coin made by Sol Mullins. Maybe the silver deposits in E-KY and SWVA are anomalies, but there are pockets of silver here, I have absolutely no doubt about it.

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR

I wouldn't put to much faith into that agency, they can assume but never be 100% sure. I'm sure they have never been to the area or area's in question to start with. And they have no real knowledge of how history in eastern Kentucky was recorded. The story of John Swift and his mines/cave is very real. The story has been around since the time the Shawnee hunted these woods, even their history tells of a silver mine or mines.
An event back in the days of John Swift, Daniel Boone and such men wasn't recorded unless it was meaningful. Most events or camp fire storys have long since been forgotten.

You can actually do some research and find out facts that prove the legend is real. I was weary at first, then i got into digging into the history. I will say that the Story is very real. Its gonna take someone finding the cave/upper mines, and putting the pieces of the legend together to prove this, but some lucky person one day will....

The Real Swift

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, White's Coinmaster Pro,Whites 5500/D Series 3

Swift was indeed a factual person. He lived in the general vicinity of Cumberland Gap in July of 1818.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D RAINING! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: Shawnee Nation was in Ohio... MY "sense" is that the UPPER MINES (aka GREAT SHAWNEE CAVE) is in the Red River Gorge of Kentucky, and the lower mines are in SW Va., NE Tenn., according to the MECCA Natives of the mountains. "Google" MECCA "Indians"... :wink: :coffee2: :read2: :coffee2: Coffee? ;D

The Real Swift

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, White's Coinmaster Pro,Whites 5500/D Series 3

Rebel - KGC said:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D RAINING! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: Shawnee Nation was in Ohio... MY "sense" is that the UPPER MINES (aka GREAT SHAWNEE CAVE) is in the Red River Gorge of Kentucky, and the lower mines are in SW Va., NE Tenn., according to the MECCA Natives of the mountains. "Google" MECCA "Indians"... :wink: :coffee2: :read2: :coffee2: Coffee? ;D

I beg to differ lol.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Don't pay those professional geologists any mind. If you want native silver to sprout
from limestone just keep on looking and hoping. Like Rebel said, the exercise will do
you good. :icon_thumright: coolade? :tongue3:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The site is wrong, Elliott county is the site of 6 Indian silver mines I can take you to them..its ore, not what most people expect. There has been many fractures found by geologist...and any number of them could have brought up silver or even gold..or how about the two giant meteor impact sites that could show the same thing..they would also tell you that diamonds would not be found in KY but there is a real Kimber-lite (hope I am saying that right) pipe in Elliott county too! Lots of geological abnormalities in KY..even hot springs..they bring up natural minerals and metals too!

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello Curtis,
Hows it going? You are exactly right Curtis, I am a geologist, I got my Bachelors degree (Cum Laude) at NKU and have studied much of Southeastern KY. and Tenn. area, as well as, Ohio and Pennsylvania. There has been much rifting and faulting through geological time with all the continental collisions we have had on the eastern coast of the North American continent. Faults, rifting and hydrothermal activity produced from the deep volcanic activity and pressures caused from the collisions has caused precious minerals/metals to precipitate up from the depths. Ancient glaciers, as well as, the continental collisions have even moved substantial amounts of sediments, etc, and produced many placier deposits in places. So as a geologist I know there are many small reserves of silver, gold and other minerals that were produced well into the interior craton of the North American continent. You are exactly right on your information about Elliot counties Kimberlite pipes, there are garnets, even diamonds that are sometimes produced from these pipies. The Kimberlite pipes are produced due to high pressure from the continental collisions, which cracked the upper mantle/tectonic plate in places, the plate dipped into the Athenosphere, a liquid zone under the upper mantle, and the minerals were forced upwards. You are also right about the meteorite collisions, there is one just north of the Cumberland gap, which is now Middlesboro Tenn. Meteorite impacts produce gold and other minerals as well. There are many across the United States but many are not discernable to the untrained eye because erosion has diminished their natural features, overtime.

Sincerely,

Bill N. -aka- "The Swizard"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread