EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Swift's Furnace Rockhouse? (Video)

MillCreekLake009.jpg

MillCreekLake010.jpg

MillCreekLake012.jpg

MillCreekLake013.jpg

"The furnace that i built is on the left hand side of a long and rocky branch, that heads southwest and flows northeast, in a very remote place in the west". There is a very large rockhouse that faces the east, a hundred yards above the rockhouse the furnace is in. Here you can stand at the furnace and facing the east you can see monument rocks.

MillCreekLake039.jpg

MillCreekLake018.jpg

This could have been the rockhouse Swift and crew stayed in, 100 yards above the Furnace. More research and looking around will tell me more in time, there is a rock house some ways down from this one with a huge charcoal pile, and remains of what appears to be where a furnace once was located. Time has in a since slowly erased it.. The area is really promising, hope to explore more of the area once the leaves drop off the trees.

:read2: :wink: :read2: :D :read2: -Ki-

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Swift's Furnace Rockhouse

Hello Ki,
Interesting pics, did you MD for any silver slag around that furnace. The stacked rocks under those vines look as if something was built there for the purpose of protection/concealment or shelter at one time???

Swiz

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F-Point pinpointer, Gray Ghost ears

Exciting stuff, Ki! Good for you!

--Chris

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Very nice Ki! I noticed in the background there are more clifffs. are there more rockhouses?

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Sorry, what I meant was are there rockhouses nearby that fit the journals? can you look accross and see the ledge?

vamelungeon

Jul 13, 2009
Wise, VA

A couple of guys could fort up inside those walls pretty well. Couldn't get up and walk around but you'd be protected.

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Hey Guys, and thanks
It's really good to finally get back out and start exploring again. It's true, once the treasure bug bites (John Swift bug) you cannot get rid of it. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about ;D ...

Swiz.... No, i haven't had a chance to get a MD up to the rockhouse just yet. My time was limited that day due to the sun going down. This is the first rockhouse I've found so far with stone work done inside. I was very pleased to find this place. If this was a shelter used by Swift and crew, it's possable it could have been the one they lived in. This rock house faces the east, and sure enough there are what appears to be monument rocks alittle ways down from the shelter that you can see looking eastward...

This may answer Swiftfan's question too... There is another rock house down from this shelter closer to the creek, it's the one that has the remains of what looks to be a small crudely built furnace with a charcoal pit. and to my amazement it's roughly around a 100 yards from the other rockhouse that has the stone work on up the mountain. I'm hoping to get back up there, with more time so i can photogragh everything more in detail, and i hope to get this done soon. I'll keep everyone updated on what ever this place turns out to be.

Again, thanks everyone for the encouragement, and wish everyone luck in there own searches.... GodSpeed everyone :icon_thumright: -Ki-

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Found a little time, thought I'd update with a few more pics of this past spring's search. Really needing to spend time at this place to look for carvings, or any other clues/signs that may be hid. Hoping to camp some after the leaves fall this year, and do a extensive search. Here are some pictures looking out from the shelter.

MillCreekLake016.jpg

zoomed in....
MillCreekLake021.jpg

And in some journals it mentions at the rockhouse you can look to the west and see and a hole through the cliff... Here is a pic looking west from this rock shelter..
MillCreekLake022.jpg

I'm really looking forward to getting back out and exploring this fall....

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

I took some video footage while at this site... Check it out, it gives you a 3D view of the rockhouse.
I'm planing on not only posting pictures but also video of some searches in the future.
I feel video would give people a better understanding of what I describe in posts, also good way of documentation.

Would be great to see other folks on here start posting pics and video as well. We could start a whole new era
of Swift searching...
Isn't technology great :thumbsup: :coffee2: enjoy the vid.......

The_Frontiersman

May 22, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace - 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Swift's Furnace Rockhouse? (Video)

let me know when you do camp - I would love to join you.. Have you had a chance to dig any of the dirt out of this location? Ever get back to that chambe? Keep it coming Ki., good stuff...

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice pictures KI. I have found rocks stacked simuliar to that in a large rockhouse down in Newfoundland, here in Elliott County KY. Never thought about a furnace but you have got me curious to go back and investigate them a little more. Keep up the good work.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KI. Here are a couple of pictures I took in a large rockhouse on Newfoundland here in Elliott County. There are several stacks of rocks in this rockhouse like the one in the pictures. I also found this carving in the rockhouse. It has a long line and an X carved in. Kind of looks like a Confederate flag, but im not sure. I have heard that soldiars used a large rockhouse in Newfoundland during the Civel War, so perhaps this is the one. Any ideas about the rocks?

Attachments

• 100_2355.gif
    100_2355.gif
    567.7 KB · Views: 838
  • 100_2354.gif
    100_2354.gif
    417.5 KB · Views: 823
  • 100_2355.gif
    100_2355.gif
    567.7 KB · Views: 817
  • 100_2355.gif
    100_2355.gif
    567.7 KB · Views: 786
  • 100_2354.gif
    100_2354.gif
    417.5 KB · Views: 816
  • 100_2355.gif
    100_2355.gif
    567.7 KB · Views: 791
OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

Great Pics :thumbsup:

The Carving im unsure of, but looks interesting.. It may be worth running a detector around the area, Civil war era or not it still would be nice to recover something lost there. The pics are nice..your rocks show that some form of human activity was done here, rocks don't stack themselves..
Id also check into the history of the town close to this rock house. alot of banks were robbed and burned back in those days.. would make for a great hiding place...

Really looks interesting, if you happen to explore the place again, let us know what you find. best of luck...
-Ki-

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used

The_Frontiersman said:
let me know when you do camp - I would love to join you.. Have you had a chance to dig any of the dirt out of this location? Ever get back to that chambe? Keep it coming Ki., good stuff...

still haven't went back further in the shaft/cave. still putting together if the place is a hiding place or just a landmark... Their's another(local) legend this place could tie into. I hope to get back out camping here soon..will let you guys know when i do- ahead of time- in case you wanna come.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KI,
On the other end of this rockhouse, I have dug ALOT of Indian artifacts. On top of this rockhouse, there are two rock mounds about 20 feet long a piece, and they are about ten foot away from the edge of the cliff. I dont know if they are anything or if they were just threw out of an old field many years ago. However, the fact that they are several rocks deep and are in a rectangular shape makes me wonder.
-Ki- said:
Great Pics :thumbsup:

The Carving im unsure of, but looks interesting.. It may be worth running a detector around the area, Civil war era or not it still would be nice to recover something lost there. The pics are nice..your rocks show that some form of human activity was done here, rocks don't stack themselves..
Id also check into the history of the town close to this rock house. alot of banks were robbed and burned back in those days.. would make for a great hiding place...

Really looks interesting, if you happen to explore the place again, let us know what you find. best of luck...
-Ki-

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D WOW! You guys are doing GREAT! "Rock Mounds" are known as BURIAL CAIRNS for VERY important ppl or things; even "landmarks" monuments to Native Americans. :read2: CARRY ON! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions