An extremely large East facing rockhouse (I found awhile back)

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all ye Swift Hunters,
Here is a pic of an extremely large east facing rockhouse I found awhile back. In the center of the rockhouse is a large boulder with a turkey track on it, me and a friend took a compass reading on the track. I took a couple of T-net members to this rockhouse on our last Swift campout. There are two large campsites in it as well. Across from it there is a cliff that stands far back from the creek. The folage was thick at the time, so I crossed the creek to scout for two monument rocks, I did find some small boulders over there, there may be other larger ones. I also MD,ed this rockhouse but I had no hits on anything vaulable.
The lower or bottom picture is also an extremely large east facing rockhouse with an upper level above it. Me and "Ki checked this one out awhile back when we met up for a night and camped at the Red River Gorge. The forest was in full bloom so it was hard for us to see out across the hollow, for possible monument rocks across from it.
I know of yet another extremely large east facing rockhouse in the same approx. area as well, with a large health/fireplace out near its drip line, I rebuilt this hearth one weekend while camping with a friend it was very hidden and had not been used for a long time, it also had a large pile of boulders in its center. I don't know how the boulders/rocks got there, because they do not look like roof fall, I have no photo of it, it had alot of flint chips in it and other evidence of Native American habitation, but I do not think it was Swift's because there were no monument rocks across from it that I could see, I did not MD this one, but would like to get back to it. There are many large east facing rockhouses that somewhat fits Swift's description all over the Red River Gorge. The key is to find the one that fits all the criteria that Swift describes in his journal. Then it may be possible to find the other features he mentions in his journal that are suppose to be present in the area of the mines.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D GREAT "Pics", Swiz! Bet you & Ki had FUN! ;D :wink: Rockhouses facing EAST indicate the direction "they" were coming from; Swift Journal(s) indicate Alexandria, Virginia; ALL of that area WAS Virginia, "at that time". It has ALSO a "Masonic" (FreeMason) allusion... "as the sun rises in the EAST, and sets in the WEST"; so rises the Worshipful Master.... ANYWAY! We ALWAYS faced EAST, and it MAY have been a "Traveling LODGE", as the "Masonic clues" are "seen" on boulders, mentioned in the "Journals" on trees, etc. I DO think the RRG is the location of the GREAT SHAWNEE CAVE/upper mine(s) based on the clues you have. If you have a "turkey foot", go in the direction, it is "going" (for the NEXT "clue"); if middle toe is cut off... treasure has ALREADY been found! :'( I DO see a TRIANGLE on the boulder in the first "pic"; MORE close-up "pics" may help... think I see more stuff, too. :dontknow: :coffee2: Coffee? :wink:

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
We did have a great time camping... hoping to do it again here soon. and try and have another campout everyone can attend. I'd like to get to meet everyone sometime.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D :icon_thumleft: BEST time to camp out is when the leaves are down, and you can "scan" the area. "Earmark" (in your mind), locations of interest... to "explore" later. :D :wink: :coffee2: Coffee? :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread