The rock quarry east of Jenkins on Pine Mtn.

vamelungeon

Jul 13, 2009
Wise, VA
Here's link to a youtube video- not mine- of some guys on their ATV's standing at the top of Pine Mtn looking down on a huge rock quarry.

I've been to that exact spot a few times, though I didn't get as close to the edge as the guy who made this video. I used to deer hunt in there, down the hill on the Va. side. Last time I was there was on a backpacking trip on the "Pine Mtn Trail" which these guys are apparently riding on.

Anyway, this quarry has been there several years that I know of. At the top there is an abandoned block building that was an office or something for the quarry. I wonder if the guys who've worked that quarry have seen anything unusual? I don't know anyone who works there, but it's a big operation so maybe someone here might. That quarry has gone down several hundred feet, so if there are caves or strange geologic anomalies those guys should have seen something, right?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D I would guess so... go to the local library Reference Section, and see if you can find anything on it... MAY have even taken pictures/notes of/on interesting things; MAY be why it was started in the FIRST place... "KEEP on digging folks... GOTTA be down here, SOMEWHERE!" HA! :read2: :coffee2: Coffee? :wink:

Oct 2, 2007
eastern kentucky
Audie,
The quarry you are talking about has been there sense the 70D's. If you go up the mountain,
on the Kentucky side, Jenkins to pound gap, just below the overlook on the right side is where the old rock quarry use to be and the new road was widened.
If you look real close coming up the mountain on the right side you will see at eye level where they cemented in a large entrance, a little further up you will see where they cemented a smaller entrance.
It is said by some locals who worked on the road widening project that these two spots were entrances to a large cave system. Is it possible that this could be part of the old Indian legend of Pine Mountain being called "Hollow Mountain" by the Indians and it was a very" Sacred Place".

With Kind regards

Ralph Hurst

OP
OP
vamelungeon

vamelungeon

Jul 13, 2009
Wise, VA
I've seen the old quarry on the VA side. I haven't seen those cemented openings though. I'll have to go look for those. Thanks!

DMSDAK

Jul 30, 2006
Southeast Bluegrass
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass
No Audie thats the sand quarry on the VA side. Hes talking about the old rock quarry on the Jenkins side, about 1/2 mile below the gap. As you go up coming from KY it would be on your right. There are two large and maybe more smaller cave openings that have been cemented up with both cement and boulders that they blasted in to while building the road. A guy by the last name Jesse has a book about Caves in Letcher County, KY and in his book he had went into one of those caves before the road construction and tells about it in that book.

Seth

Oct 2, 2007
eastern kentucky
Letcher County's Pine Mountain Caves by Gary D. Jessy by Heritage Nook Books P.O. Box 373
Pound, va 24279. He first published in 1973 I have his second published in 2003. nice guy

Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions