Swift & Townsend connection...

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
Swift & Townsend connection...

There is a living witness for John Swift...
"Uncle Bill" Townsend, when telling this story was past 80 years old, he lived at Sinking Creek near Zachariah. Thats about 20 miles from the mouth of Swift Camp Creek by the best going a good days journey on horseback. Uncle Bill, knew Swift quite well as a boy of todays may know of his grandfather's friend. Uncle Bill declares that his grandfather "Dooley" Townsend found and saved Swift and his party when they where lost in the cliff country at the end of Swift's hopeless expedition, just after going blind.
Uncle Bill's grandfather Dooley Townsend was a trapper, and he set his traps on the water courses of the Red River in that country still unfavored of men, where Swift Camp Creek does its prettiest. It is the recollection of Uncle Bill that Swift died in Lexington (Fort Lexington at the time), but on that point he is unsure. He is sure, however that his grand father Dooley Townsend was with Swift when he died, and nursed him through his illness, and that Swift in gratitude gave Dooley his journal of his travels, and the location of the mine of great wealth. Uncle Bill recalls having seen the journal himself and knows that it was with his grandfather's effects when he died. He also says that when his grandfather's papers went into possesion of his parents that Swift's journal and intended legacy were missing. The family always suspected the lawyer who settled the affairs of the family of having stolen the invaluable document. Uncle Bill Townsend is apparently a simple and truthful man, he bears that reputation from his friends....

Its cool to have a family connection to Swift like this, both men mentioned in this story are real persons of past family members, I was very happy to find this :icon_thumright:.... I'll post more with time...

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re-reading this makes me ponder if Campton, KY got its name for Swift's camp there when he was mining ...oooorrr... was this a base camp when he was trying to re-find the mine. So much time has gone by and so little is documented.

Here is a link to a Topo map of the area spoken of, it is just South of Natural Bridge S.P. Scrolling the map North and North Eastward will take you into the RRG and Campton / Pine Ridge and Swift Camp Creek.

https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?l...nad83&zoom=8&map=auto&coord=d&mode=pan&size=m

Last edited:

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KY Hiker, It seems a year ago or so you said you were from Powell. Seems like we talked about that. I work in Powell though I live in Elliott.

Re-reading this makes me ponder if Campton, KY got its name for Swift's camp there when he was mining ...oooorrr... was this a base camp when he was trying to re-find the mine. So much time has gone by and so little is documented.

Here is a link to a Topo map of the area spoken of, it is just South of Natural Bridge S.P. Scrolling the map North and North Eastward will take you into the RRG and Campton / Pine Ridge and Swift Camp Creek.

https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?l...nad83&zoom=8&map=auto&coord=d&mode=pan&size=m

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KY Hiker, It seems a year ago or so you said you were from Powell. Seems like we talked about that. I work in Powell though I live in Elliott.

No I grew up in Louisville and now live up I-71 toward Carrolton. I did say I do a lot of camping/hiking in the RRG. I also volunteer fairly regularly down there doing trail construction/maintenance. I think it was Ki who lives in that area, not sure which county, Powell, Wolfe or Menifee though. Someone else used to drop in here who was local to that region, but I have not seen a post from them in a while and don't remember their handle off the top of my head... maybe it was 1320 ? Oh, the offer still stands though, if you would like to do a bit of camping sometime, I'm a three season camper. I don't do too well anymore when the morning temps are below 30F ! I can hike and work in those temps but it takes me half a day to limber up after sleeping in that cold.

Last edited:

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok that must have been it! I knew we had talked something about Powell County. Yes Id love to spend some time down in the Gorge. I have never been in there. Love to see some of the off the trail areas. I think that is where new clues will be found. How often you come to Powell?

No I grew up in Louisville and now live up I-71 toward Carrolton. I did say I do a lot of camping/hiking in the RRG. I also volunteer fairly regularly down there doing trail construction/maintenance. I think it was Ki who lives in that area, not sure which county, Powell, Wolfe or Menifee though. Someone else used to drop in here who was local to that region, but I have not seen a post from them in a while and don't remember their handle off the top of my head... maybe it was 1320 ? Oh, the offer still stands though, if you would like to do a bit of camping sometime, I'm a three season camper. I don't do too well anymore when the morning temps are below 30F ! I can hike and work in those temps but it takes me half a day to limber up after sleeping in that cold.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The group I volunteer with meet the second Saturday of each month but I won't be going down again until January. We have a few commitments due to Christmas to be able to come down this month. I probably wouldn't be staying the night until March or April depending on the temperature.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah man anytime your coming this way let me know! Would love to get to know the area!

The group I volunteer with meet the second Saturday of each month but I won't be going down again until January. We have a few commitments due to Christmas to be able to come down this month. I probably wouldn't be staying the night until March or April depending on the temperature.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is Swift legend central right along Swift Camp Creek where Rebecca Timmins with journal in hand searched and found slight deposits of silver and gold ore in the 1870s-1890s. The ore never assayed to paying amounts to make it worth while to open a mine. Swift's opening has never been found but once you hike this area you'll realize it could be 20yrds away and you could walk right past it!

Some other interesting sights in the RRGorge.

Last edited:

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, only got skim through them (on lunch) but those are absolutely beautiful. Did you help make those videos?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, only got skim through them (on lunch) but those are absolutely beautiful. Did you help make those videos?

No no, but YouTube is full of RRG content. I think that is why it is so much busier now than 20 years ago. There are weekends where it is hard to find parking due to all the people visiting. The campsite the guy in the second video is in is where I came across an Indian Trail Tree. Its just North of where Swift Camp Creek empties into the Red River.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread