Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All ye Swifthunters, 10/27/2011

Here are some freehand sketches of very old carvings/petroglyphs I am familiar with and have documented over the years, some of ya'll may be familiar with a few of them as well. All of these carvings are located in and around the Red River Gorge area, there are many more not listed here. In my opinion they are associated with Johnathan Swift's "Upper Silver Mines" and the Great Cave of the Shawnee. Some of the carvings are Native American in origin/design, others are of European origin/design, some are much older than others".
Pre-historic Native Americans of the Red River Gorge area who lived in the area used the sandstone cliff rockhouses for shelter during the cold winters. They left many symbols/carvings to designate important places, such as, burial sites, sacred/religious sites, resources/mineral sites, etc. Just as we today use certain symbols to desinate our cemetaries,(++) banks($$), churches, resources, etc.
On the most part but not always, it is not hard to distinguish the Native American carvings from the European cavings. The Native American carvings mostly depict things in nature that were most familiar to them, many animals, mammals, reptiles, birds were associated with life, death, fertility, good fortune, etc., such as, an owl would signify death. So if one were to see an owl carving, it would probably be signifying a place of burial.
Europeans would depict carvings such as, guns, anchors, letters, numbers, and many differint linear design symbols, etc. Things that were familiar to them in the civilized world at that time but no so familiar with the Native Americans. Obviously both Europeans and Native Americans were familiar with human body parts and animal body parts, such as, hands, feet, arms, heads, skulls, etc. these types of carvings would be common to both races; as well as, universal symbols, of circles, triangles, swasticas, rectangles, etc., but had differint meanings to each race.
One thing I know for sure is that when I compare the earlier/older carvings of the Native Americans in the Red River Gorge area with the much later carvings of the newly arriving Europeans coming into the area, I find that both sets of carvings are signyfying something of great interest/importance. What were the Europeans interested in mostly, precious metals/resources, the carvings not only signify a hidden resource but a hidden sacred/religious site as well.
This gives creedence that when the White European race came into Red River area they were very interested in something very important. These carvings are not just random doodleing left by individuals over time, they were left and executed in their perspective locations for a very important reason.
After many, many years of diligent fieldwork, historical research, location, frequency, age, routes of travel etc. I have deciphered their significance and they have led me to the area they signify. This is almost evidence in itself, "without having anything tangible, relic/gold/silver to show".
I have attached the carvings above, if you know of any more carvings within the Red River Gorge area please feel free to post them in this thread. I would be very much interested in seeing them too as well. If you have any questions about one of the carvings or infomation on any of their individual meanings feel free to comment on it, or email me about it and I will try to respond.

Sincerely,

Bill N. -aka- "The Swizard"

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Carvings of the Red River Gorge Area (Carvings)

Here are the carvings

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,821

vamelungeon

Jul 13, 2009
Wise, VA
The Red River Gorge is pretty close to me, I don't know why I've never gone there as much as I like to hike and camp. I've wanted to go for some time and all of the pictures and videos I've seen make me want to go even more. Maybe I'll head over that way soon if I get some time off from work. This is all very interesting! Those two dates in your carvings certainly bring up some questions! Very good work! Thanks for sharing them.

The_Frontiersman

May 22, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace - 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found a similiar carving of an anchor and a couple others that resemble a few of your depictions - really close to where I live. I've tried and tried to post pics of these on here but to no avail, any help on this would be awesome (how to post pics on T-Net, what format? (etc.).. I was able to post them on Facebook in the Swift Silver Mine Group if anyone would like to check them out - very puzzling considering the location of the Rockhouse where I found them. Did your friend have any luck with the locations you dowsed for him, regarding Shawnee Cave?? Keep up the good work Swiz and keep it coming..

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F-Point pinpointer, Gray Ghost ears
Good job, Bill!
Very interesting. I'd love to go look for some of them.
Thank you very much for sharing!

--Chris

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Can't enlarge your drawings... BUT! I "see" a turtle, "3's" (mountain ridges,"102"... 1+0+2=3, etc.), level is "MASONIC", "JS" & "JOS" COULD be Jonathan Swift, "1717" COULD be in a tunnel... can you "scan" it larger? :dontknow: :coffee2: Coffee? :wink: :read2:

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Carvings of the Red River Gorge Area (Carvings)

The Swizard said:
Here are the carvings

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Swiz,

Just read this post, on your list of carvings there is a set of ^^^ any idea of what that was for? I have located something a lot like that as has Ki. Mine also has like a map showing the slash marks like steps going between a set of the mountains? to a place that has a large hole(cave?). I have a pic that is 30 years old - good thing as the rock is getting illegible. Let us know what you think it means.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill N. -aka- (The Swizard on T-net)
Curtis said:
Hey Swiz,

Just read this post, on your list of carvings there is a set of ^^^ any idea of what that was for? I have located something a lot like that as has Ki. Mine also has like a map showing the slash marks like steps going between a set of the mountains? to a place that has a large hole(cave?). I have a pic that is 30 years old - good thing as the rock is getting illegible. Let us know what you think it means.

Hello Curtis, I think I know what it means!!!...The symbol/carving, ^ ^^, pertains to Johnathan Swift's (Upper Mines or "The GCS"), in my opinion. After diligent study of the topographical features in many areas of the Red River Gorge, I have located an area that this particular carving/symbol may designate, I also think The 102...^ carving is the same place that this carving is specifying. I have done extensive study and fieldwork of RRG topography, in an attemp to decipher the meaning of the many symbols/carvings in th RRG area.
I believe many of the carvings are geographical/topographical, "small geomaps", depicting an area of impotance, .i.e.(SWIFTS MINES and GCS). I have been studying the carvings and topography of the RRG since 1975. I believe the Swift Mines and legend of the GCS are true historical fact", and the many carvings in the area are giving us a hint as to where it is located, if you can figure them out. I have a spot but I can't reveal the location at this time cause I am still investigating.
If I do find something I must obtain legal permission and some assurances on rights of discovery from the official intities to investigate/metal detect, etc., I would definitely show what I know, but not till you get permission etc..
Finding something on Federal Forest Land you will need a good plan and permission to investigate. I had discussed this with Mike Steely once before...at one of the Johnathan Swift T-net Camp-outs, and a few others in this forum, but noone has any "solid plan" in place. "Any ideas are welcome... but everybody I have talked too... has no plan of attack.
A person would need to contact certain people/connections, etc.? with the state, federal, and /or private landowners, etc. Also there are many archaeolgical laws, and criteria to be met to obtain legal permission to investigate/document, escavate, etc. Its a big ordeal.
One of the reasons I requested T-net to create this forum in (2007), was because I totally believed in the probable authenticity of this legend. So my idea was to ask T-net to create this forum so that we Swift Hunters had a medium/tool for our use. A way or medium for us to use..." to publicize" our discovery...if anything was ever found.
I hope one day that happens for us and T-net.

Sincerely,

Bill N. - aka- (The Swizard on T-net)

Last edited:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Swiz,

I posted the pics of the carving on the thread "Great Cave of the Shawnee". If this is the same type of carving it maybe something of Swifts because a friend found a carving DAS 1763 on a rock in this area back in the 1970s he says Swit's wife's name is Desiree Ann Swift and was suppose to have accompanied them on one of the trips.I always was skeptical-who would risk their wife's life in that wild country? I did think he may have had a lonely moment and done it himself while emotional. Anyway lets just say the carving is on a flat rock near Ghram KY. If this fits your discoveries and you want to see it I'll take you there..have more pics of it also if you would like to see em. I was always tryint to figure out what the carvings of the guy with a bow or Pick is for...looks like a guy swinging a miner's pick or something. Do you think its a Swift carving? I remember Ki found one with the ^^^ a while back and he seems to be onto something too. As far as the procedures of what to do once you found the real mine, I say we get several people together, make a really nice document of all the supporting info, and approach the state people in charge of historical preservation..unless you can get the supposed bullion out first.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Curtis,
I would gladly join any effort you want to pursue... to support an historical investigation. If you/we can find the proper contacts and produce a document to support our evidence, "archaeological criteria", etc. We may be able to get such a plan up and going, with a little luck.
We need some kind of legal/avenue or contract... from official authorities, so that we can investigate with the protection of law enforcement and also have the area secured, etc. Also a list of some garrantees put in place to secure discovery rights for the discovers. Without these legal steps, it is useless! I never could get anything going on it. I'll be glad to join you in this effort.
Anything we do outside of this criteria is criminal.

As for the DAS 1763 carving in Graham Ky., (the date would indicate an early expedition to the mine area), I have not seen it before, but the number 1763 and 1717t and 1715 SPY all have some similarities and fit my research area. DAS ties it to Swift I believe! The little guy swinging some sort of pic, etc., I'm sure it is another topographical representation again indicating a mine area, left on the trail to the mines, either in coming or going from the area or a set of mines/mine somewhere. The ^ ^^ carving and the pics of the other two carvings you posted... I would say do definitely fit into my research area! Email me Curtis if you have any starting point or plan of action to pursue! I'm all for it!!!

Sincerely,

Bill N. -aka - (The Swizard on T-net)

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone hear me!!!!

The Swiz

The_Frontiersman

May 22, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace - 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Swiz,

I would just like to say that I am totally in agreement with your suggestions on a "plan of attack" and am willing to donate some time and effort into possibly contacting a "good" source of mine to help along the way (when it comes to someone to represent our case to the proper officials/authorities). I have been in much contact with Curtis here lately and feel that we are on the same page with a lot of the same interests/ideas.. I have much respect for your years of devotion to "Swift" and have to agree that I believe most of it to be factual - 100%.. I may not have been around as long as most of the guys on this forum but I do share the same passion for research and historical preservation that some of you may have, and I am willing to work hard to preserve it for future generations. Without people like Swiz, Curtis, Ki and many many others on here I feel that much of this unique "history" is fading away fast and one day will cease to exist - if nothing is done about it now. This is why I feel like we are on the same page and am willing to do my part in this chapter of Kentucky History.. Please keep me in mind fellers..

Casey..

The_Frontiersman

May 22, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace - 250
Primary Interest:
Other

There used to be many carvings on many trees but unfortunately have been destroyed through the years, most of the ones found today (and are visible) are mostly on rocks and such. Swiz will know more about any tree carvings (if there are any left that are visible - wouldnt be to likely condsidering the extensive logging and the lapse of time). Hope this helps and maybe someone else can give a little more information than I on this topic.

Casey - Frontiersman

Ky. Ken

Nov 14, 2011
eastern , Ky.
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack cheap one
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 250 yrs. the bark would have covered the carvings so all you would see is that the tree had been damaged in the past even if they are still standing.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Casey, 01/05/2011
Hows it going, Everything is still tentative..but I talked with Curtis about maybe getting together and producing a "Persuasive Presentation" about the Swift Mines and the Great Cave. We are going to tell the historical story legend of the Swift Mines/Great Cave. We are going to collect and compile all the known factual research and documents, things like, old maps, topo maps, pictures of carvings/petroglyphs and locations, video clips, magazines, newspaper clips, manuscripts, waybills, books done by others, T-net threads, artifacts, etc. We are going to try and present all the factual information available.
We are doing the peresentation to try and persuade/convince the state or official authorities involved to give us permission to investigate our research. We must convince them,... that the Swift legend is truely an historical event and that it is historically, culturally, archaeologically and economically feesible, to take action, ( i.e. tourism revenue, museum artifacts, mineral reserve, etc.
We want to convince them to give us permission to investigate our/my research, so that we can investigate legally, with impunity and security of law enforcement, etc. We want to have some discovery rights garranteed to us as well. We want to investigate to prove/produce that there is sufficient archaeological criteria warranting some action, to preserve this history/heritage of Kentucky's historical past.
I have asked Curtis to be my partner in producing the presentation because of his experience in "Public Speaking) and a little to Buffalo Man Glen about maybe trying to give us some support for permission to do a search on behalf of his (friends), the Native American Shawnee Peoples and their Great Cave. So far... everything is tentative.
We will be searching for differint materials for the "presentation", so everyone is welcome to donate any research pertaining to the mines, etc. We will do a bibliographic page to list/site all contributors. If "we" get permission to do such a search we can/will recruit others who have expertise in the differint fields, to photograph, record/document/site, the differint locations of the discovery area and have it secured, as well as, protected under Smithsonian Site Protection. etc. Everything is tentative as of yet.

Sincerely,

Bill N. -aka- ("The Swizard" on T-net)

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Swiz! How's it going brother? When we going to have another campout? PM me sometime..

-swiftfan-
Matt James

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I am excited about the possibilities with Swiz! We need this type of approach in any case of items relating to Swift. Ones that are really possbale locations. The hole idea is have documentation that backs up claims so as to "prove" the story and the claims associated with them. Swiz has accumulated to much to just give it to the state or any organization without his name attached.

I know when I found the Indian Silver mines I was wanting to be very protective of them, but wanted to let everyone know how to find them, after I had the documentation finished. A film crew is going to have me show the whole Indian mine story to them as they film...that is one avenue to prove there is Silver in Kentucky! This ties directly in with what Swiz is wanting to do to..I know there are others who also want to document and figure how to avoid just giving it to the state without reward or recognition. Most of us are having the time of our lives and are willing to share, but also want to be tied in to being the first to find our particular treasure..call it pride or vanity if you want. its just an emotion you have when you discover something others have looked for for years. I found mine the hard way, was 90 percent sure..had to buy the latest and greatest technology to verify it(without digging and giving away the site) and when that was done..decided to document before digging... its not the money so much as the notoriety I guess, although the money is a big consideration-especially if its a big treasure! Some of us are getting a little rusty n the joints and don't know how much longer we can do the rock climbing and all day exploring thing andwould like to have the "grubsteak" to retire on when needed!

For anyone new to the site please get permission in writing before digging or even getting on the property its for your own good!If things are located on government property that is another can of worms and you need to get someone to help figure the best approach to protect the find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread