Heard this story ?

vamelungeon

Jul 13, 2009
Wise, VA
I've never heard that story, but I can point out a couple of things. "Tuckahoe" was a derisive name used by working class whites in eastern Tidewater Virginia in the 1700's to describe the rich upper class plantation owners. That would make me question it being the name of a Cherokee man. I also see the term "princess" applied to the Cherokee woman Cornblossom. The Cherokee didn't have any "princesses". I haven't gone over the story with a fine toothed comb, and it might be true but with a quick read those two red flags popped up.

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Coonhunter,
Tree my PUP!...lol, Good to hear from ya! "Happy Holidays to you and your wife. I enjoyed reading that story again about Tuckahoe. A friend of mine is a Cherokee and is related by blood to CornBlossom/Chief Doubleheads family. His Dad and family were from the Cumberland area and were forced to move when Lake Cumberland was built. There is some other interesting Cherokee history on "Yahoo Falls" in the Cumberland area. Have you found anymore interesting caves. etc., on Caney Cr?
I never did tell you after I left you place on Caney Creek I had truck trouble on the way back to the campout area/park. I checked all my wires under the hood everything looked good. Got back in the truck and it kept dogging and cutting out on me. I thought this is just great, I'm 150 mi from home and I got truck problems. Well I kept in running and eatin up gas till I got back to the campout area/park. When I got back I popped the hood open again and me and the guys looked it over again and we found a hidden spark plug wire disconnected. I was releaved, I left for home that night around 12:01 A.M. It was really nice driving home that late, there was no traffic at all, so I traveled about 40mi/hr. all the way home.
I still chat with Curtis from time to time on T-net but haven't heard from him lately. Well give me a yell anytime, your friend,

Bill N. -aka- (The Swizard on "T-net")

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh, the Princess Cornblossom silver mine. This is one I am intimately familiar with. My father grew up in that area (McCreary County) and as a boy was constantly playing out in the mountains, in rockshelters etc. I discovered the story many many years ago (there is actually a historical marker nears Stearns that tells the story)...and actually got a copy of the Thomas Troxell book which tells the story. Mr Troxell being a direct descendent from Princess Cornblossom. When I showed my dad the story, he told me , well son I have played right in the spots that are mentioned in the story. He then told me about 2 particular caves...one he called the "carving cave" the other, I will not name, but it is well known in that area...it is a HUGE rockshelter hidden in a cliff. My dad also told me that when he was a boy he was climbing around the cliff near the rockshelter and discovered a seam in the rock of a silvery/grey substance that he said was soft enough to dig out with his pocket knife. Personally I believe it was likely lead...but?? I have been several times to the "carving cave" and it is unbelievable...every single wall is covered with carvings. But they do not look like Indian carvings...more along the lines of Ohgam carvings. One carving in particular is most interesting. It shows a mountain with a cave/hole in it with a ladder leading up to it. Just thought I would share.

OP
OP
C

coonhunter

Jun 20, 2010
Hey Bill,,, the wife did find another cave,, not far from the camper,,,, I have walked within 10 feet and never saw the entrance before. It goes down about 10 or 12 feet then tunnels off in 3 different directions. ALSO FOUND MY FIRST ROCK CARVING NOT FAR FROM THE ENTRANCE ,,,, it was "RW" . As I stepped up on this huge rock the moss slid off and there it was. The wife and I would love to come and hike Red River one day with you this winter.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Swiz,

You mean after we left coonhunter's and you dropped me off you had trouble? Wish I had known..the last I saw of you was your taillights about the time we passed the lady's house that has the quartz in her yard! Coonhunter, still sorry about the maps man, the plotter has not worked right yet-suppose to get worked on this week again..hated to let you and the misses down but its something I couldn't control-did she get the Elk? Hope the new cave gets you exploring again, that area it sooooo beautiful!

Met the Frontiersman in person recently, he is a very knowledgeable guy on the Swift stuff, he has recently found something very interesting about swifts resting place. If you see his posts check em out. Anyone ever hear form Boome again? Sure miss his stuff!

Curtis

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Curtis
Happy Holidays... ;D Yep...just after I dropped you off at your car I noticed the truck was dogging out on me, I actually noticed it coming up out of Caney Creek from Coonhunters place, thats why I was high-tailing it back to camp area. But it got so bad I stopped when I hit the main highway to check what was wrong. I had a wire dis-connected but didn't see it at first, so I kept gassing her till I got back to camp area. Me and the guys looked her over again and we found a hidden spark plug wire had come off.
Coonhunter/Wife expressed some enthusiasm about hiking in the RRG this winter, maybe us four can get together again sometime soon and do this. I have a hard time getting away anymore because of having to take care of Mom daily. But maybe we can plan something and go and explore/ investigate something?

Bill N.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions