Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

stevejackson

Apr 22, 2013
madrid
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gr8! , i am in india and not sure of anything, life is not what i expected. want to become an archeologist now, after i have compleated my IT degree, stuck in a IT fi:BangHead:rm.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
gr8! , i am in india and not sure of anything, life is not what i expected. want to become an archeologist now, after i have compleated my IT degree, stuck in a IT fi:BangHead:rm.

HA! Life is what happens to you, while you are BUSY... MAKING OTHER PLANS! GOOD LUCK! HH!

OP
OP
swiftfan

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That's true Rebel!! You know, India is a vast place, full of locations ripe with history. Helping out with digs as a volunteer, can give you an expirence as an archeologist. It also lets you get away From those IT Labs for a while!! Good Luck!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That's true Rebel!! You know, India is a vast place, full of locations ripe with history. Helping out with digs as a volunteer, can give you an expirence as an archeologist. It also lets you get away From those IT Labs for a while!! Good Luck!

AGREE! India has LOTS of HISTORY & Treasures... "google" BURIED TREASURES in INDIA... OLDER than American stuff! I envy you... Good Luck & HH! (HAPPY HUNTING!).

OP
OP
swiftfan

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a close call the other day.. found what appeared to be maybe an iron ore, but didnt set off my detector.. oh well.. keeping on, keeping on..

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish someone would find that Swift mine for sure! just want to know how close I came...and how close all the others came too. I'm sure Frontiersman and KK and Swiz woud like to see it happen too!

OP
OP
swiftfan

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish someone would find that Swift mine for sure! just want to know how close I came...and how close all the others came too. I'm sure Frontiersman and KK and Swiz woud like to see it happen too!

Idon't know, kinda like it like this. The legend will always be there, with the gold and silver heaped up in great amounts waiting out there, just over the next ridge, or up the next hollar. But at the same time, I would like to know if there was a mine for sure. that would be enough to keep me going..

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Idon't know, kinda like it like this. The legend will always be there, with the gold and silver heaped up in great amounts waiting out there, just over the next ridge, or up the next hollar. But at the same time, I would like to know if there was a mine for sure. that would be enough to keep me going..

YEP! "WINK", "WINK"...

OP
OP
swiftfan

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang it all!!! If I could find the furnace rockhouse, (the right furnace rockhouse), I think I could find the rest.. All the mines are close together, and the ore runs the same direction of the long ridge. I think. Now to map the mine area.. (the furnace area map is done.) This is done from the Uniontown papers of Col. Tye.

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
Believe it or not, Curtis, your wish has come true...

I am breaking my many years silence on my work on the John Swift Silver mines to tell you and anyone else interested that over a period of exploring a VERY rugged mountain area in Jackson, County, Ky I did definitely find two of Swift's mines and probably a third of the six that were close together. I also found two of his silver coin cache sites... one by a huge beech tree on South Fork Creek and the other on top of a nearby mountain. Unfortunately, someone had beat me to them and I found only two neat 4' x 4' x 4' deep holes. Swift's initials carved backwards ( as was his "trademark") and the Masonic symbol were carved into the 4'diameter beech tree just about 6' from where the cache had been buried. The mines cannot be worked without a lot more political pull than I have as they are in the Daniel Boone National Forest now. I also know for a fact that a man from Indianpolis by the last name of Wombles removed a huge amount of silver bullion from a cave in the area with the help of two local men (brothers, whom I knew personally) back in the 1970's. They thought it was at least a half million dollars worth but I think they were not qualified to make an accurate judgment on how much was found. It was no doubt, however, worth at least many thousands because it took a one ton truck to haul it all. This man Wombles stiffed the brothers on their share and they would get red in the face and really angry everytime they spoke of it to me. I have found 3 smelters...one with a very old pile of charcoal nearby it in this same area. I have found many of the landmarks Swift mentions in his journal... the one published by Michael Paul Henson IS THE CORRECT ONE. Michael Paul and I were close friends and he told me that I was the only person he ever knew who matched the map in his book to a geological survey map. I am sorry he died before I could show him the mines I found.

I know exacty where Munday drowned after being shot by the Indians. I know where the "LIGHTHOUSE" is... near the Buffalo Rock with Mundays name carved into it and still readable, etc, etc, etc. The heart, or center of the area where Swifts 6 best mines and many of his caches were hidden would be the junction of South Fork Creek, Station Camp Creek and War Fork. I found many of the other landmarks and have pictures that of all that I mention that will make your heart race if you are a "SWIFT-O-PHILE". The rock house that Swift had his main smelter in was on War Fork. The smelter in the house was deliberately destroyed by a Swift hunter 20 years ago to throw others off the trail of which rock house was the correct one. I am pretty sure that Boomer knows exactly where it is.

NOW... GET READY... HERE COMES THE BIG ONE... Everybody wants to know where "THE GREAT CAVE OF THE SHAWNEES" is. It is WIND CAVE... the single largest cave in Kentucky (Mammoth Cave is a CAVE SYSTEM... NOT a single cave). Entry is now forbidden into it because of a trumped up story about protecting the bats from humans carrying in disease to them. i am personally convinced that the huge cache of silver and gold that Swift hid in the cave is still there and I am pretty sure that I know where it is. There is a very big room way back in the cave (1/2mile or more)
that has an anomaly in it... a huge cone shaped pile of dirt and gravel in the center of it and yet a solid stone ceiling above it with no openings to the surface. So... just how did this huge pile of dirt get there??? Very likely it was displaced from the cave floor by being excavated and its place being taken by things being hidden. It had to be piled up by men... it is NOT natural to the cave! Even if you could excavate it legally there is no way to get power digging equip. to the site. It would have to be dug by hand and that would take a crew of men with shovels and wheelborrows at least two or three weeks of solid work. That one was meant to be difficult to recover because it was so valuable.

I think I have one more coin cache site pinned down in the area... maybe... just maybe... this one will still be unfound when I get to it. I hope to make a crack at it sometime in the near future before old age denies me the privilege of tramping over the mountains and down into the canyons in this beautiful but really rugged area.

AnOldPro

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F-Point pinpointer, Gray Ghost ears
I'd love to see a few of your photos!

I'm sure everyone would love to see them

Would you consider sharing a few?.

OP
OP
swiftfan

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I would love to see then as well!! Hate to think though this could be the end of Swift's adventures..

HCA1961

Feb 1, 2010
Pikeville, KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F-Point pinpointer, Gray Ghost ears
No way would it be the end of the Swift saga, but more information to lead us in other directions!

OP
OP
swiftfan

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Here a little note from the 1891 geologicial survey of Jackson Co. By George Sullivan

"The St. Louis group, (limestone) in this region is cavernous ; there being many caves, some of them of considerable extent. The creeks in many places, where their beds have been cut in this rock, have underground channels, the surface channel being dry except at times of high water. This is the case on the upper waters of South Fork and the lower of War Fork of Station Camp, and on parts of Horselick. The upper 25 to 50 feet of this group, as noted in this region, generally contains many flint concretions. which would make it useless for economic purposes."

OP
OP
swiftfan

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Not far from there is Indian Fort mountian. There should have been a village nearby. Does anyone have anything on this?

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
oldpro: did you follow up on the carving info you sent me and where it leads to the bear carving and the spanish date of 1693 with the crown and heart? the backward J S is part of a map that tells of 4 locations. so far none have been opened. wind cave is a great caving experence. there are three passages and many side rooms. the lower passage is hard, a lot of water. odd there are no indian carvings. deep seeker detector found nothing. if standing in front of wind cave, on your right you will see a crumbling ledge. there is a small cross and crown with turkey track pointing toward war fork. about 1/8 mile down is a small rockhouse with vary faded spanish writing and 1693. the bear and crown and crossed crosses meaning cross over, meaning cross over ridge. the bear has one eye closed and point to the ridge the crosses mean go over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread