Silver Spanish Coin Found!!

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today in a rockshelter up a holler that flows into the Little Sandy River. About two miles from Caney. Its old and wore, but says Carolus III on it, with a seal on the back that has lions in two corners and a castle in the other two. I can read the date clearly and it says 1784. The coin is rough and hard to read in a picture.

spanish coin.gif silver coin 2.gif
silver pic 3.gif

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin I'll double check. It looks like 1784 but would be awesome if it turned out to be a Swift counterfeit!

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an awsome find! It wasn't till abround 1790 that the Indians finally settled down in Kentucky...so it could have been lost there by an indian raiding party..

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Real Swift. It was a big surprise. I found this coin; as well as three silver quarters; a libery dime and a wheat penny; all between the years of 1939 and 1944. Six coins in one little rock house.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Mason! Thats the only way to find things..boots on the ground! Wonder if that is the same type of coin that Mathew Bacon Sellers found(13 silver coins) back around 1900?. Suppose to have been on his property where he invented airplanes same time as wright bros... the old house use to be not far from Canney/Little Sandy junction.

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Curtis; great to hear from you. I believe I know the spot where Matthew Sellars lived. When the water is low, you can see the foundation of the house. At least Ive heard he lived here. I dont know what type of coins he found. Seems like they were Spanish but not sure. I found them about two to three miles up the Little Sandy from where the Little Sandy and Caney meet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread