Find These and you find the mines

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swifty and Curtis,and anyone else. the northern mines of john swift were found in 1994, every thing was verified over a year. in 1995 they were nationally published in several magazines.
if im not mistaken they were found on the little sandy, they used chief josephs diary, swifts journal,and some more documents. np:cat:

I think they found some things and they claimed them to be right where I have been looking..but they didn't reveal where they were if they did..a lady wrote the article and I could not track them down so I don't think they actually found them..several signs but not the mines. If you have mre info please post or PM me.

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtis. they found every thing that was on josephs journal and swifts journal having to do with the northern mines.they were found on little caney and little sandy.the gap with the lid or light house had the same measurements that joseph had given. there is also a carving of the natural
bridge at the rangers office at grayson lake that was found in a cave by a fisherman years ago. there are lots of pictures of the finding of all this stuff around you just have to look. except for the magazine
articles this was kept at low key for what ever reason.? I think it had something to do with a promise to someone. all of this stuff was found within a quarter mile radius. at least it was people from ky that found it. one of the people that found it is in steelys book on page 235. in the book it tells about this guy being on the hunt for swift in Elliott county. hope this helps. np:cat:

dsn

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2014
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
indain pic.jpg Could the Carving on the rock be Indian carvings of maybe mountain ??

Last edited:

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
now that my new pc is halfway working with my old software. (maybe)? dsn, think of the 3 /\/\/\ has the three longest fingers of your hand, swifty, think of 3 hands, palm up with a circle in each, inside each circle, a plus +, an X and a square. indian pointing bow and arrow, follow on to 3 squares in line each at base of fingers. has for the natural bridge, in the journal it tells about the line of rock, that was the bridge before it was opened up for boat traffic. from the line of rock walk over to the lid gap and where the X is carved, just past is one of the mines, it goes down about 20 feet and the hole is square. the swift map has to do with another area father south. before the dam was put in 1964 you could find spainsh carvings along the river up from the dam. most of the mines were found back in 1902. but, some of the carvings have to do with something buried for safe keeping and thier are several.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
bear: over the years, there have been several that will gladly tell you ( WE FOUND THE MINES OR WE ARE CLOSE VARY CLOSE). some on here, that have been on T.N. a while, will tell you that some will try to sell a bill of goods without any proof. like say: found the mine, writing a book, be out soon, send money and you will get a copy or need backing to open the mine. a group in the early 1980's and another party in the 1990's put stuff in the news paper and on t.v. saying they were close to finding the mines, they were working the little sandy and the red river gorge area. they told me that they were trying to get information from other treasure hunters. but both wasted a lot of money. they did a lot of walking around instead of doing the research. look on you tube under swift silver mines. ki has a good video on the hunt for the mines.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Anyone seriously believing in and looking for the mines could (and would) serve their own interests to say they've found the mines in hope that others would believe and drop out of the hunt.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I know the article or one of them was by Elizabeth Marie deMorest it was in Lost Treasure October 1995. She names G.W.Dunn, Larry Daniels, and Noga Boyd Jr. as the guys who say they found it. Its a pretty well written article but short and they shared some stuff with the readers....but as a person who has spent many hours in that vicinity (and already knew almost all of their finds) The article is not very revealing..as I have posted in the past I found all of Chief Josephs mines that he describes and thought there may be a connection..but after looking at these guys and their information that was printed I think they were trying to make something work. They never give a location of any of the mines. And if they were that good why didn't they find chief Josephs mines? I did by my self. I tried to contact them thru the people that use to hold the annual JS thing in Jellico, but gave up after one of them said Dunn had died. If anyone lives in that area and could find one of these guys I sure would like to talk to them....but I don't think they actually found a mine.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not Peltra,

I am not convinced they did find the JS mines . If you follow the descriptions Swifts gives -- once you go over the rock house you never cross a creek..but if you use their rock house you do....and,.... what was there connection with Chief Joseph.. these are two entirely different stories..the chief Joseph is 100 percent right on the money....if you use his directions you go exactly to the mines...but those mines don't fit Swifts descriptions.

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtis, the original people involved in this story have all departed and gone to a better place. G w DUNN or JERRY DUNN which are the same person was a friend of mine. to get to know him I
considered an honor for anyone. he was a true Kentuckian, he had walked and explored more of Kentucky than any one I ever heard of. in the early 1990's he was one of the leading experts
in rock writing, indian carvings, and treasure signs. he liked keeping a very low profile when it come to treasure hunting. he was a very close friend of Michael PAUL HENSONS. they would even go to treasure shows together. all of the mines were found, but they were found by someone else a long time ago, he said there was a lot of blasting done in this area, he said it looked like someone was trying to cover every thing up,they had also found dug out rock covered cache sites that had already been emptied, he figured every thing was taken out. and another thing to consider this site was found almost 30 years ago. all of the mines were found but had already been blasted shut by someone else. this is all of this story I can help you with.np:cat:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
"dug out cache sites that had already been emptied"....I've heard this statement before, many times....just exactly what does that mean?! I encounter ALOT of holes, big and small in the shelters I've been in and I attribute them to arrowhead hunters, believe me, they can dig some big holes. Understand, I am not searching for silver mines in the least and have only a passing interest in the John Swift tale however, I never automatically assume that when I find a large hole in a shelter that it's an emptied cache....lol. If any of you have been anywhere in Menifee, KY and went in behind Verne Spratt, you'd probably think that he'd emptied about 300 cache sites....he never found a thing.

On occasion, I look for a rock house on private property to dig arrowheads in and all of them have been previously dug in at least in part. I found one several years ago that looked like it had been raped. Sand piles every where, huge holes throughout, broken arrowheads arranged neatly inside the shelter on a large rock, etc. Someone spent a considerable amount of time in it. Being stubborn as I am, it didn't deter me and it remains to this day one of the most productive shelters I've ever dug. I simply said to myself, they didn't get them all....and started digging.

In my opinion, when someone is hot on the trail and think they've found the X and there's a big hole where the X should be it's kinda like..damn...I found where it should be but someone beat me to it.....is that the thinking?

You guys spend too much time attempting to locate and decipher codes, clues, carvings and caves. Just get out there with your instruments and start methodically hunting. Hunt every rock house or shelter, dig the bottom out of it, cross it off your list then move to the next one....lol

Trying to remain optimistic here....

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
And this guy found them as well.....

Jan 2007
Northern Kentucky
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
5 times
Believe it or not, Curtis, your wish has come true...

I am breaking my many years silence on my work on the John Swift Silver mines to tell you and anyone else interested that over a period of exploring a VERY rugged mountain area in Jackson, County, Ky I did definitely find two of Swift's mines and probably a third of the six that were close together. I also found two of his silver coin cache sites... one by a huge beech tree on South Fork Creek and the other on top of a nearby mountain. Unfortunately, someone had beat me to them and I found only two neat 4' x 4' x 4' deep holes. Swift's initials carved backwards ( as was his "trademark") and the Masonic symbol were carved into the 4'diameter beech tree just about 6' from where the cache had been buried. The mines cannot be worked without a lot more political pull than I have as they are in the Daniel Boone National Forest now. I also know for a fact that a man from Indianpolis by the last name of Wombles removed a huge amount of silver bullion from a cave in the area with the help of two local men (brothers, whom I knew personally) back in the 1970's. They thought it was at least a half million dollars worth but I think they were not qualified to make an accurate judgment on how much was found. It was no doubt, however, worth at least many thousands because it took a one ton truck to haul it all. This man Wombles stiffed the brothers on their share and they would get red in the face and really angry everytime they spoke of it to me. I have found 3 smelters...one with a very old pile of charcoal nearby it in this same area. I have found many of the landmarks Swift mentions in his journal... the one published by Michael Paul Henson IS THE CORRECT ONE. Michael Paul and I were close friends and he told me that I was the only person he ever knew who matched the map in his book to a geological survey map. I am sorry he died before I could show him the mines I found.

I know exacty where Munday drowned after being shot by the Indians. I know where the "LIGHTHOUSE" is... near the Buffalo Rock with Mundays name carved into it and still readable, etc, etc, etc. The heart, or center of the area where Swifts 6 best mines and many of his caches were hidden would be the junction of South Fork Creek, Station Camp Creek and War Fork. I found many of the other landmarks and have pictures that of all that I mention that will make your heart race if you are a "SWIFT-O-PHILE". The rock house that Swift had his main smelter in was on War Fork. The smelter in the house was deliberately destroyed by a Swift hunter 20 years ago to throw others off the trail of which rock house was the correct one. I am pretty sure that Boomer knows exactly where it is.

NOW... GET READY... HERE COMES THE BIG ONE... Everybody wants to know where "THE GREAT CAVE OF THE SHAWNEES" is. It is WIND CAVE... the single largest cave in Kentucky (Mammoth Cave is a CAVE SYSTEM... NOT a single cave). Entry is now forbidden into it because of a trumped up story about protecting the bats from humans carrying in disease to them. i am personally convinced that the huge cache of silver and gold that Swift hid in the cave is still there and I am pretty sure that I know where it is. There is a very big room way back in the cave (1/2mile or more)
that has an anomaly in it... a huge cone shaped pile of dirt and gravel in the center of it and yet a solid stone ceiling above it with no openings to the surface. So... just how did this huge pile of dirt get there Very likely it was displaced from the cave floor by being excavated and its place being taken by things being hidden. It had to be piled up by men... it is NOT natural to the cave! Even if you could excavate it legally there is no way to get power digging equip. to the site. It would have to be dug by hand and that would take a crew of men with shovels and wheelborrows at least two or three weeks of solid work. That one was meant to be difficult to recover because it was so valuable.

I think I have one more coin cache site pinned down in the area... maybe... just maybe... this one will still be unfound when I get to it. I hope to make a crack at it sometime in the near future before old age denies me the privilege of tramping over the mountains and down into the canyons in this beautiful but really rugged area.

AnOldPro

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
This guy found them too....

us
Feb 2006
VA
MP 3 Pro Digital
9 times
Here it is!
A picture of the inside of the cave with the mine entrance. This is the rich mine Swift spoke of in his journals. I found it April 25th of this year (the last mine I had to find). I also have pics of the cave entrance and all the surrounding landmarks Swift mentioned (they will be pictured in my book). The main entrance was on the second ledge, in red sandstone and had a chestnut burr rock above the entrance, just as Swift stated. Also, I have pics of all the surrounding landmarks, as well as the other mines, landmarks, etc. Swift mentioned.

The wooden planks inside the mine have been found to be locust. A sample is currently being carbon dated and I will include a result of the dating in my book as well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version.

Name: small image of rich mine inside.jpg
Views: 3606
Size: 68.8 KB
ID: 220831

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know all about jackson county,i know the location of south fork and wind cave,i dont know if this man has found swifts mine or not,but i think that i read once something about a creek running thru the ground i know where the creek runs thru the ground is at ,how far is swifts mine from there?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you serious? Swift searcher found the JS mines? You just took away all the credibility you had just presented as being very plausible ...lets see if you can reestablish yourself...got any pics of the places?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Are you serious? Swift searcher found the JS mines? You just took away all the credibility you had just presented as being very plausible ...lets see if you can reestablish yourself...got any pics of the places?

Uhhh....I would show you the pictures from the book that I didn't buy that are from the book that was never published....lmao.....

Curtis, I'm just reposting what previous Tnet members have written/claimed in this forum. My point is, the true believers keep on marching and don't seem to be deterred when a claim is made. My hat goes off to all of you that continue the search, share your ideas/discoveries and keep on searching. I have no doubt the mines themselves have been discovered, probably more than once over the past two hundred years, that's awesome but dang it, I wanna see some kegs full of Crowns!

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too, I am not envious - if someone else finds it great, just want to see this mystery solved!

w4wxr

Greenie
Sep 6, 2011
Keavy , Ky
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for an online article about the mines being found [no luck thus far by the way] but haven't ran across it as of yet. I am going to say it is still south in the vast open Daniel Boone forest. Get the boots and boats out boys and girls, it is time to rekindle the hunt! :3barsgold:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
KEGS of COUNTERFEIT COINS, they were... seized from various colonies by the Feds "back then"; Gold in the coins were MORE "pure" than Feds could do... HA! Pirates did well in their NEW Enterprise, for the colonies; Feds were NOT amused... AHOY!

SLH

Greenie
Nov 13, 2015
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea if this is related or not. I joined this site mainly to ask a few questions. I found a pyramid carved into the bottom of a large cave. The carving appears to be about an inch deep. The cave itself is big enough to fit about seven-eight school buses with ease. Now, down from the cave is a small creek. While trying to catch crawfish we decided to make a small rock dam to keep them from escaping down stream. There is a small waterfall about two feet high that appeared to have plenty of rock underneath to help build the small dam. We started pulling out the rocks and discovered a small cavern behind the rocks that had a set of very tarnished horseshoes. I am in my mid 40's now and this was when I was approximately 16 years old. We took the horseshoes, home and through them in an old building. Recently the building had a tree fall on it so it had to be torn down. One of the old horeshoes was recovered from the building and to my amazement, has been found to be silver. We have been trying to find the others, but the building was bulldozed and a new building has been built on the spot with a concrete slab.
My question is have any of you ever heard of silver horse shoes or pyramids carved in caves? Why would someone hide these in a creek? This cave also had a cilvil war shaving brush found in it and cannon balls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread