All Treasure Hunting
Hi Swiz!

Well here are part of the puzzle! Sunday, January 13, 2008 (4).jpg

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish someone could interpret that photo of a rock in Elliot county....I think its Spanish but not sure..it does have the inverted Vs that Swiz talks about! what are those other symbols? One looks like a miner with a pick the other is something like a backwards & with something hanging form it, one looks like an Indian with a bow....anyone lese have ideas?

dsn

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2014
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtis, I seen your picture of the turkey track rock, I know that area been there many times, in that same area there is a mine about half way upon the cliff I have been there also. Just around from the turkey tracks there are several drilled holes in rocks that are under a rock house.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi dsn,

Welcome to tnet! Would like more information if possible...there are mines in the area but I don't know about the one you mentioned. Found drilled holes in the mine under the giant rock huse...is that the mine you are talking about?

dsn

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2014
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Its about 1/4 m down stream. Its in a Hollow on the Lt. side in thick laurel, with a water fall at the head

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Curtis: that rock with three ridges or three hills. remember the five fingers of the little sandy. the three points are the three large fingers of the little sandy. above the middle finger it shows an unusual cut. use google earth and look above the middle finger and you will see a small hollow with steep sides, some cliffs. play with the history icon to view the hollow. send me an e-mail with a darker copy of the photo, also take photo to a store that can reverse the background to black and you will see wonderful things as the copy below.

Attachments

• BR Carving.jpg
    BR Carving.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 510

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HELLO, Im curious, what is it you are looking for?.np:cat:

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO, I think its funny too, Really , Im curious, What is it you are looking for? np:cat:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lost mines of Jonathan Swift, an explorer/miner that went to Kentucky in the 1760s to mine silver...a bunch-- enough that they bought ships with it.....he got caught counterfeiting English crowns but they had to let him go his coins had a higher percentage of silver than the real thing. this thread is part of the LEGENDs section were the legend of JS is click on it and you will find all kinds of people are looking for it! The rock I found has some information on it that could lead to the JS mines or others-like Indians --I have found 6 Indian silver mines near there.

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you SURE you aren't looking for something that somebody else already found? np:cat:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi NP,

No, we are not sure, but its not likely unless it was pretty secretive find and not disclosed...there was one place where a guy (and later his wife) was suppose to have found it but no one could find all of the landmarks...she died broke trying to get to it--they had used explosives and really messed it up...again it could be they found it...but other research shows the location should be in other areas and several people have theories...that is part of what makes it neat...

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtis, In 1995, all of the landmarks and four mines were located using chief josephs journal. that's why I was confused about what you were looking for. np:cat:
Can anyone explain this? thanks. np:cat:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all
I read a couple of stories on lost Indian Silver mines up that way around Grayson and Carter area. One story was about an indian named TUKURAN or something like that. He
buried his lover in a cave or mine somewhere around the heads of Tygarts Creek in the Smoky Valley area. It was said that he went in one entrance and never came back out. But he probably went out another entrance. Tukaran was said to possess a smoking pipe inlaid with silver and also a tomahawk inlaid with silver.
Another stories tells of an Shawnee Indian who owned a rifle inlaid with silver, it mentions that he was obtaining silver with his wife on excursions somewhere in Southeast Ky. He was said to have traveled 4 days southwest from the Upper Shawnee Towns on the Scioto River. Story says his rifle was inlaid wit silver, he also wore a necklace made from silver with back to back crescent moons.
Another story I heard was that a Frenchman, and it wasn't Lewkain but another Frenchman. Story says he supposedly found silver in a cave in the Carter Cave area or Greenup County area. Well for some reason he left and covered the mine up. Story says on the inside of the cave/mine he left the symbol/carving of a snake on a big rock inside the cave. Not sure if this exact cave was found cause in the story it mentioned his relatives found his letters or something and located the cave and begane to dig it up, but it didn't say that they found the snake carving inside the cave? This probably is the same cave or story ya'll are referring to NP?
That trail rock you found Curtis looks like it could be Alfred Monday initials,
/\/\/\ he he, just kidding. Alfred Monday was raised with the Shawnee and the Shawnee's major towns were the Upper Shawnee Towns along the Ohio and Scioto Rivers back then. The Shawnee were using many of the caves in the Carter Cave and Grayson area for burials, resources, minerals, etc. There is a mass burial cave just above the town of Carter just north up above the main store in Carter. I forget the name or how to pronounce the Shawnee name for the cave system but it started with an "O". The meaning of the name for the cave meant ("The place of many holes"). Somebody owns the land and won't let anybody in it.
The Shawnee would have known practically all the caves in the entire area and most all of the mineral deposits, etc. My drift is that Alfred Monday and Swift would have known of many of the mineral deposits as well because Alfred Monday was friends with the Shawnee and he was raised and lived with the Shawnee. Swift and Monday would have probably been working some of the mineral deposits/silver mines in this area too and using the trails to and from different mines/ places, etc. So the rock with the \/\/\/\ symbol would have definitely been a trail marker. Probably of Shawnee origin or possibly even Swift's or Alfred Monday's own marker or trail rock. That would be my best assumtion Curtis. The \/\/\/\ rock where you said it is, is high on the ridge so it probably is a trail rock?

No, we are not sure, but its not likely unless it was pretty secretive find and not disclosed...there was one place where a guy (and later his wife) was suppose to have found it but no one could find all of the landmarks...she died broke trying to get to it--they had used explosives and really messed it up...again it could be they found it...but other research shows the location should be in other areas and several people have theories...that is part of what makes it neat...[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swifty and Curtis,and anyone else. the northern mines of john swift were found in 1994, every thing was verified over a year. in 1995 they were nationally published in several magazines.
if im not mistaken they were found on the little sandy, they used chief josephs diary, swifts journal,and some more documents. np:cat:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Swifty and Curtis,and anyone else. the northern mines of john swift were found in 1994, every thing was verified over a year. in 1995 they were nationally published in several magazines.
if im not mistaken they were found on the little sandy, they used chief josephs diary, swifts journal,and some more documents. np:cat:

News travels slow here in Kentucky...I didn't get the memo.....

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1320, It allways has, get out of the pool room and smell the roses:rosette: np:cat:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all
I read a couple of stories on lost Indian Silver mines up that way around Grayson and Carter area. One story was about an indian named TUKURAN or something like that. He
buried his lover in a cave or mine somewhere around the heads of Tygarts Creek in the Smoky Valley area. It was said that he went in one entrance and never came back out. But he probably went out another entrance. Tukaran was said to possess a smoking pipe inlaid with silver and also a tomahawk inlaid with silver.
Another stories tells of an Shawnee Indian who owned a rifle inlaid with silver, it mentions that he was obtaining silver with his wife on excursions somewhere in Southeast Ky. He was said to have traveled 4 days southwest from the Upper Shawnee Towns on the Scioto River. Story says his rifle was inlaid wit silver, he also wore a necklace made from silver with back to back crescent moons.
Another story I heard was that a Frenchman, and it wasn't Lewkain but another Frenchman. Story says he supposedly found silver in a cave in the Carter Cave area or Greenup County area. Well for some reason he left and covered the mine up. Story says on the inside of the cave/mine he left the symbol/carving of a snake on a big rock inside the cave. Not sure if this exact cave was found cause in the story it mentioned his relatives found his letters or something and located the cave and begane to dig it up, but it didn't say that they found the snake carving inside the cave? This probably is the same cave or story ya'll are referring to NP?
That trail rock you found Curtis looks like it could be Alfred Monday initials,
/\/\/\ he he, just kidding. Alfred Monday was raised with the Shawnee and the Shawnee's major towns were the Upper Shawnee Towns along the Ohio and Scioto Rivers back then. The Shawnee were using many of the caves in the Carter Cave and Grayson area for burials, resources, minerals, etc. There is a mass burial cave just above the town of Carter just north up above the main store in Carter. I forget the name or how to pronounce the Shawnee name for the cave system but it started with an "O". The meaning of the name for the cave meant ("The place of many holes"). Somebody owns the land and won't let anybody in it.
The Shawnee would have known practically all the caves in the entire area and most all of the mineral deposits, etc. My drift is that Alfred Monday and Swift would have known of many of the mineral deposits as well because Alfred Monday was friends with the Shawnee and he was raised and lived with the Shawnee. Swift and Monday would have probably been working some of the mineral deposits/silver mines in this area too and using the trails to and from different mines/ places, etc. So the rock with the \/\/\/\ symbol would have definitely been a trail marker. Probably of Shawnee origin or possibly even Swift's or Alfred Monday's own marker or trail rock. That would be my best assumtion Curtis. The \/\/\/\ rock where you said it is, is high on the ridge so it probably is a trail rock?

No, we are not sure, but its not likely unless it was pretty secretive find and not disclosed...there was one place where a guy (and later his wife) was suppose to have found it but no one could find all of the landmarks...she died broke trying to get to it--they had used explosives and really messed it up...again it could be they found it...but other research shows the location should be in other areas and several people have theories...that is part of what makes it neat...
[/QUOTE]

No, the rock is in the middle of a creek, I always thought it was funny that the VVVs didn't line up with the hollows near there.

I think there is suppose to be more about the Shawnee and Swift, I have found a couple of old references that state he had a Shawnee wife while in the area....and his legal wife back home..Desiree Ann Swift...her initials and 1769 are on a rock near the boat landing (on the other side of the highway) at the head of Caney Creek. I guess a lot of long hunters and others practiced polygamy back then. Monday was in captivity from Indians(so not friendly)--I always thought it was the Shawnee....but it could have been the Cherokee as they were into that area at times too. Cherokee and Shawnee were usually not on the best of terms and raided each others resources, including silver mines.

I talked to a ranger at Carter Caves and he said there are many Indian artifacts in that area they still find them all the time and are not even looking for them....I always wondered if they were the Mecca Indians camp ground Swift spoke of....and there are all kinds of caves in that area besides the ones they let you in....been in at least 6-- some have holes in them several hundred feet deep! Was in one a few months before those people drowned in the flash flood.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread