KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I have been reading over the threads here for the last couple of weeks and I must say this is quite some adventure. The first time I had ever read about Swift silver mines was in the late 1980's from a book I picked up about hiking the Red River Gorge (still have it somewhere). I have always been interested in the legend but at the same time told that silver doesn't 'occur' in KY. It is more plentiful out west as I was told. But deep in the back of my mind I know there has to be some nuggets of truth to the legend. As with all legends/tales, there is always some portion of truth to the story. I have been a regular visitor/hiker/camper to the RRGorge since 1980 or so. I spent many afternoons bush whackin' off trail with friends to see what is around the next corner. There is something both mystical and somewhat magical about that area of our state. I always use my trips there to regroup myself from the hectic day to day life. There is the spiritual aspect as well, I am closer to my maker when I am there. I recharge spiritually as I fatigue physically while stomping around those old mountains. The mystery of the ancient peoples that both lived there and passed through there has amazed me in that we are so detached from that 'hard' lifestyle. Sorry for blabbing on but I want to offer any help that I may be able to give to your cause of finding answers to this riddle. After reading so many of the threads here I almost feel like I know some of you folks. Anyway, I would like to offer help if any need 'boots on the ground'. I'm pushing 50 but I still get around well!:hello:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My offer still stands, if anyone needs help on the ground. Lord knows you all have much more knowledge of the legend than I.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hello, I have been reading over the threads here for the last couple of weeks and I must say this is quite some adventure. The first time I had ever read about Swift silver mines was in the late 1980's from a book I picked up about hiking the Red River Gorge (still have it somewhere). I have always been interested in the legend but at the same time told that silver doesn't 'occur' in KY. It is more plentiful out west as I was told. But deep in the back of my mind I know there has to be some nuggets of truth to the legend. As with all legends/tales, there is always some portion of truth to the story. I have been a regular visitor/hiker/camper to the RRGorge since 1980 or so. I spent many afternoons bush whackin' off trail with friends to see what is around the next corner. There is something both mystical and somewhat magical about that area of our state. I always use my trips there to regroup myself from the hectic day to day life. There is the spiritual aspect as well, I am closer to my maker when I am there. I recharge spiritually as I fatigue physically while stomping around those old mountains. The mystery of the ancient peoples that both lived there and passed through there has amazed me in that we are so detached from that 'hard' lifestyle. Sorry for blabbing on but I want to offer any help that I may be able to give to your cause of finding answers to this riddle. After reading so many of the threads here I almost feel like I know some of you folks. Anyway, I would like to offer help if any need 'boots on the ground'. I'm pushing 50 but I still get around well!:hello:

KY-H, RRG is the "Center"; you can help by going there & continue to get "centered' & "channel" info of interest to us ALL!

CT1976

Dec 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a noob, I'm still researching it. I'm fascinated...

Howerton Bradwell

Nov 28, 2013
Maysville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Red Baron by Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting ready to go back to the fissure vein that I located and get a better sample directly from inside the deposit. I've got to get some ground under my feet first...out of shape and getting old. I posted a couple of assay reports on here...the last one wasn't as good as the one from the 1930s, but I took the sample from the edge of the vein. It doesn't hurt that Swift's name is in a rock house a little ways from where I'm looking. He loved to carve the letters of his name backwards...but when you take them with the treasure signs he carved next to his name it makes sense. What is really interesting is that the two assay reports are from different locations. The gold and silver I've found in hard rock are deposited in only a few ways. We'll see how rich this one is sometime this summer.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I'm getting ready to go back to the fissure vein that I located and get a better sample directly from inside the deposit. I've got to get some ground under my feet first...out of shape and getting old. I posted a couple of assay reports on here...the last one wasn't as good as the one from the 1930s, but I took the sample from the edge of the vein. It doesn't hurt that Swift's name is in a rock house a little ways from where I'm looking. He loved to carve the letters of his name backwards...but when you take them with the treasure signs he carved next to his name it makes sense. What is really interesting is that the two assay reports are from different locations. The gold and silver I've found in hard rock are deposited in only a few ways. We'll see how rich this one is sometime this summer.

HH! Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread