Carvings left by Swift

Howerton Bradwell

Nov 28, 2013
Maysville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Red Baron by Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking for Swift since back in the 80s. I've come across a lot of carvings that were still intact. I've also come across cravings that have been busted up in the same area where I am conducting my search. There is one rock that sits in a small rock shelter that is flat as a table on top and about 4 foot long and 3 foot wide. Once there was a complete map or message carved on top, but someone took a hatchet and chopped it up to the point it can no longer be read. You can still see some of the carved lines in the rock here and there, but it's gone...lost forever. Not far from this location is another small rock shelter that has JS 1767 carved in it. It seems they missed this carving. This is history that is being destroyed. I know that the majority of us who have been looking for Swift won't destroy these carvings, nor add to them, but there are some out there who are afraid that someone else is going to come upon them and put the pieces of this puzzle together before they do. Swift did exist, and someone, someday, is going to solve the riddle. Someone is going to find his silver mines and his treasure. Let's keep the playing field fair.

OP
OP
H

Howerton Bradwell

Nov 28, 2013
Maysville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. They missed the carving on the side of the rock. A carving of a man shooting a flintlock pistol with the bullet coming out. The bullet is a round ball, not conical. Conical bullets first appeared around the year 1830 and later improved by Minie around 1849.

OP
OP
H

Howerton Bradwell

Nov 28, 2013
Maysville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a creek not too far from where this rock shelter is that has slag in it. Years ago I had access to this land and a two year contract to hunt there. Now the land has changed hands and the new owners won't let anyone on it.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Somestimes, destruction of carvings/maps means "Treasure has ALREADY been found... ANYWAY, HH! & Good Luck!

OP
OP
H

Howerton Bradwell

Nov 28, 2013
Maysville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible. I had never heard of that being done before. The only thing that makes me think it was done to prevent the mines or treasure from being located is that Swift and his company intended to come back. The carvings Swift left were like road signs...take the Mt. Gap turnpike until you come to the Little Kanawa exit...etc. His company also intended to develop the whole area for the purpose of mining the silver, which means a fort, crops, etc. To have brought in a large mining company from England would have required such support, or they wouldn't have even considered going into the western country. The people he wanted to bring in were miners, not long hunters, and without the knowledge of how to survive in the wilderness. I also hold to the idea that Swift was also sent into Kentucky to find a place to hide the wealth of the colonies before the Revolutionary War...the native hard-rock silver and gold was the cream and cherry on the pie. I believe that the real treasure was one they didn't want the British getting hold of, and it was one some of the British knew existed. I believe that the revolution actually started about the time the French and Indian War ended. About a mile as the crow flies from the location where the rock shelter is located that holds the rock that was destroyed is a place where three creeks come together at the same point above two rocks that come out over the creek, one lying on top of the other...(big enough to drive your jeep under), and up on the side of the cliff is a carving of a Maltese cross. I have run upon boundary markers in this area and they are usually nothing more than an X with the owners initials. Once again this is on the land that is off limits to everyone except the huge extended family that now owes it...each of them having a share, and living in a different part of the country...which means they weren't raised in the locality of the land except for one, who was in agreement to let me hunt because he knew my family...the rest have that weird greedy get off my land or I'll call the police attitude from what I can tell. They would rather stay middle class poor before they would share with someone who just might make them rich.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Howerton Bradwell

Nov 28, 2013
Maysville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on down. I'm also getting into gold prospecting up in Ohio. I've come up with a new way to recover fine gold...now if I can just figure out how to get it patented.

OP
OP
H

Howerton Bradwell

Nov 28, 2013
Maysville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If finding the mines or treasure is going to lead someone to become greedy, then I'd soon to just stop looking, burn all my written materials, and go gold panning with my kids. If it stops being fun, then it's not worth it.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean- the real gold and silver are in the hunt! I talked to a passerby out around Caney Creek, he mentioned an uncle had found some really good carvings in the area that were a map and copied them down on paper, then obliterated the carvings with a sledge hammer, now he is dead and the nephew doesn't think his aunt saved the papers! What a waste! I can not imagine being that greedy....it just too foreign to me. I like to share information if I cannot find it maybe someone else can with that part I shared...That's why the "meeting of the minds" a few years ago was such a god time, everyone was sharing ideas and finds. I always try to answer questions and keep people off the wrong track with info, trying to emulate Boomer. Ya all keep looking! We might run into each other out there.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I know what you mean- the real gold and silver are in the hunt! I talked to a passerby out around Caney Creek, he mentioned an uncle had found some really good carvings in the area that were a map and copied them down on paper, then obliterated the carvings with a sledge hammer, now he is dead and the nephew doesn't think his aunt saved the papers! What a waste! I can not imagine being that greedy....it just too foreign to me. I like to share information if I cannot find it maybe someone else can with that part I shared...That's why the "meeting of the minds" a few years ago was such a god time, everyone was sharing ideas and finds. I always try to answer questions and keep people off the wrong track with info, trying to emulate Boomer. Ya all keep looking! We might run into each other out there.

HH! Good Luck to ALL!

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I think if it is ever found, it will be by accident. If the true carvings have been destroyed over time, then that's the only way.

caveman2

Jun 12, 2010
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I have family that lives in frenchburg, and im planning on coming up there and looking, my moms ex husuband said him and his cousins searched for the mines all their lives, they found a cave with smelter and an x over the cave, but I am coming up there, maybe we can meet and share ideas

OP
OP
H

Howerton Bradwell

Nov 28, 2013
Maysville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who was your mom's ex-husband? He was probably with our group that hunted in that area back in the day and a very good friend. I have the land under contract for the next two years to conduct a treasure hunt where the following carving was located. I can't say where this is located, but it is somewhere in Eastern Kentucky. I want to share something with everyone. When you find a carving have some different size artist paint brushes with you. You can find these in the art section at Wal-Mart. You also need a small cup of some kind. Take carpenters red chalk and mix with water. Then paint in the areas where the carving has been cut into the stone. It dries almost instantly, doesn't harm the rock, and photographs really well. Within a few years the chalk will have washed off or blow away. Another trick of the trade is when you find carvings that you can't read, come back at night and shine a light across the top of the rock. We have done this several times and were able to read what was carved without any trouble. 016.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Howerton Bradwell

Nov 28, 2013
Maysville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a good video on you tube worth watching. About 7 min. into the video there is some interesting information about Swift. Type in...Greatest Mysteries-Secrets of Fort Knox Documentary

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Swiftfan

Old Swizzle here, Mom's still in bad shape, I ain't been able to get out much! Finding the mines and cave is very hard even with the carvings, there are still several carvings out there that are useful if you know what to do... and use them.
Like you said, "the only other way the mines and cave will be found is by accident". Hope I can get back at it before that happens. Wanted to yell at ya brother!

Your Friend,
Swiz

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to hear from you! Sorry your mom is not doing well. I have been taking care of mine now as well. Not a lot of time on the ground, but plenty of time for map study and map making. I have some areas I'd like to go to, not for the mines, but locations related to the trips in and out of the mine area. Might help me find where they were.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
At times, destroyed carvings MAY mean "Treasure" has ALREADY be found...
True, But if I found it, the carvings would be meaningless then, why destroy it? let everyone else keep looking... while I lay back and enjoy an early retirement!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread