Pigeon water cave

Dec 1, 2013
clintwood va.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been years since I have visited the cave. No I'm not interested in treasure. But I need someone with knowledge of the cave and the area to message me if you don't mind. I seem to have lost my way to it. With information given to me I can lead others to a couple more caves in the area within a 1/2 mile of pwc...

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im from the area and have been to pigeon water cave at least 100 times. I could take you to it one day weather and time permitting. I also know a couple of other caves near elkhorn city area .

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0096.jpg IMG_20140608_131433.jpg

couple of pics from the water cave

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have caved down in the area for a long time and don't recollect ever being in that one.
Is that a vertical / pit entrance like Schoolhouse or Butler?
(yea, I been to butler) And did a 3 day run thry Bone-Norman with NatGEo kids magazine.

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The entrance isn't straight down its a little steep but no vertical gear is required to enter. Once you get inside you can use gear to explore further but theres plenty to see without gear. Really nice cave, we've been going there for years.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
========================================
Thanks for the link amigo,
That "sump" mentioned in the link COULD have been dry passage at one time.
I have been to quite a few caves where they have either flooded shut a passage or dried up to expose passage.
Man and the party from Florida mentioned really pisses me off. We called that "speleo-terrorism" and in the group I ran with back then it was highly frowned upon.
It is plenty easy, and the proper thing to always ASK,,ANYTIME you venture onto anyones privately owned land.
Never "assume" because everyone else just hiked in that it was ok. Hell legally the landowner IS the liable party in quite a few cases where there has been injury or worse occur in caves.
I would take the time to take a run down on some 3 day weekend to check it out,,if permitted of course. Would be interesting to run an MD in the area too.
Even just a walk around in the summer, in shorts is a good idea.
I say "shorts" because even if you do NOT see a visible passage you WILL feel the cool air on your exposed legs.
I was pretty good at finding caves in the day and dug open enough "cherry" passage.
Now with this conversation, I am feeling the urge,,and for me at almost 60,,,not too sure I can still pull an extensive trip.
Rebel, I would totally dig the opportunity to have a cuppa joe (or shine) with ya and chit chat about any project you may have in mind.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, ya see... I just do R & I; been to the Breaks, LOVE SW VA... YET! I am in Lynchburg, Va. with my "focus" on the BEALE TREASURE & Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest. I have (& still do) a LOT of R & I on the SILVER MINES - including J. Swift's, with LOTS of MASONIC CLUES indicated on trees, rocks, etc... left behind. BRIEFLY, I think J. Swift & "crew" were former pirates on the "high seas", coming in-land... "working" a NEW Enterprise of "raiding" and/or CREATING SILVER MINES; using PORTABLE Smelters to melt down SILVER & other minerals to make COUNTERFEIT coins for the various colonies in VA, TENN, NC, KY... who wanted their own coins... then the FEDS "stepped in". The "Pirates" came up the Chesapeake Bay... to the Potomac River; went on land from Alexandria, Va. (MOST being former Freemasons)... traveling WEST into unknown territory. The Melungeons of SW VA picked up and/or ALREADY knew THE PROCESS, from the Cherokee Nation, who learned THE PROCESS from SPANISH Miners, "back in the day". So!

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome link Rebel, I remember reading it a while ago. The sump that the article talks about is in one of the photos i posted. U can see the green water hose in the photo where they tried to pump the water out. Its truly an awesome cave to explore, I'll post some more pics when i find my other memory cards.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Awesome link Rebel, I remember reading it a while ago. The sump that the article talks about is in one of the photos i posted. U can see the green water hose in the photo where they tried to pump the water out. Its truly an awesome cave to explore, I'll post some more pics when i find my other memory cards.
The "sump" in your "pic" COULD be the one used by SM, in the SMELTING PROCESS; you see, THAT water is PROBABLY full of MINERALS (from CAVE water) added to SILVER to make liquid "SILVER" & then to "stamp"/impress
"coins" for the colonies. EXCESS "SILVER" would have to be cut off... sorta like making Ginger Bread Cookies, from the Ginger Bread Man "mold".

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread