mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Does anyone know the stories of Money Making Sol Mullins? I've read that he found the Swift Silver Mine and used the silver to counterfeit money. Through research i could only find that he did in fact exist and was caught by the feds counterfeiting money. So it is possible he found one of the mines but was just wondering if anyone had any info on it.
HA! Sol Mullins was a "crafty" Melungeon; his WHOLE family was involved in the "new enterprise" of counterfeiting coins, with SILVER from Melungeon SILVER MINES. Have several books on him from Swift SILVER MINES & Melungeon SILVER MINES; much R & I is necessary. HH! Good Luck! Have FUN! :coffee2: Bee Ale (BEALE)...? BTW, I like this info; "google" Counterfeitin' Solomon Mullins of SW VA, E KY, & WV. Heh...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rebel, I googled Sol and found tons of info on him, just been trying to tie him to the swift mines. In some of the info it states that he claimed he found the swift mine and used the ore for the money he made. Best i could find so far is he lived at Holly Creek which is present day Clintwood and he coined the silver on a cliff they called Sols Cliff. I've been trying to find the location of the cliff with no luck yet. Gotta dig deeper lol.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks Rebel, I googled Sol and found tons of info on him, just been trying to tie him to the swift mines. In some of the info it states that he claimed he found the swift mine and used the ore for the money he made. Best i could find so far is he lived at Holly Creek which is present day Clintwood and he coined the silver on a cliff they called Sols Cliff. I've been trying to find the location of the cliff with no luck yet. Gotta dig deeper lol.
You have already found it... where the flat rocks are.

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking it could be Sols Cliffs but wasn't sure. It makes sense cause the cliffs are near an old homestead that was owned by a mullins family. I haven't got to comb the area to well so far but im gonna try to further investigate it this weekend if time and weather permit. Thanks for all the help

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I was thinking it could be Sols Cliffs but wasn't sure. It makes sense cause the cliffs are near an old homestead that was owned by a mullins family. I haven't got to comb the area to well so far but im gonna try to further investigate it this weekend if time and weather permit. Thanks for all the help
Yeah... that "old homestead" MAY be the site of the ORIGINAL SM home; I saw a "pic" that you "posted" of a "BLOCK ROCK", which MAY have been where he did the "striking" for counterfeit coins. Check top of that squared rock for "wear" in the middle. HH! Good Luck!

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be sure to check the squared rock out on the next trip there. I might take a trip to the water cave this weekend, I haven't been there in a few months and my cousin has been wanting to go back so I guess I'll take him back lol. I never pass up a chance to go there lol.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I'll be sure to check the squared rock out on the next trip there. I might take a trip to the water cave this weekend, I haven't been there in a few months and my cousin has been wanting to go back so I guess I'll take him back lol. I never pass up a chance to go there lol.
HH! Good Luck! Be Careful of wet rocks!

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rebel, if i get to go I'll try to get some cool pics. Both you and DeepseekerADS are right. The stories are very similar, I'm sure a lot of counterfiting went on back then. The people who counterfited the coins had all the resources and perfect places to hide their operations.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks Rebel, if i get to go I'll try to get some cool pics. Both you and DeepseekerADS are right. The stories are very similar, I'm sure a lot of counterfiting went on back then. The people who counterfited the coins had all the resources and perfect places to hide their operations.
You BETCHA!

jim bridger

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sutherland's Pioneer Recollections of Southwest Virginia has quite a bit of info on Sol Mullins. A quick look at the index shows 30-plus references to him.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought that legend was over near Rt. 58 heading up to Lover's Leap - one of those mountains there. I've never heard of any silver on Bull Mountain, though more than a decade ago a gold nugget was found in a stream on Pole Bridge Creek (?). I've panned and sluiced my creeks with nothing found.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I heard/read of Silver "veins" up there; logging operations (with ROADS!) were just a "COVER"... dunno.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Google" Patrick County, Va. - GOLD Veins; Patrick County, Va. - SILVER Veins. Wife found some SILVER at Fairy Stone State Park...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://thediggings.com/mines/usgs10079800

Apparently the gold was found in 1955, but by 1974 it was determined it was not commercially viable to mine it.

Pole Bridge Road is about two miles to the East of me - thus my interest. It was named after the creek the road follows, but the spot it was found could be a bit further geographically.

And that is why I've panned and sluiced my waterways. No color here, thus far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread