KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just find it strange that the reference is to Kentucky, yet when you search for Log Mountain near the Cumberland Gap you end up in TN. A topo map of the area shows the surrounding mountains as strip mines with Log Mountain in the middle.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah sadly this area has been forever changed with strip mining, and "progress". I find the oldest topos and compare to the newer ones. early 1900's topos will give you the better lay of the land. 1800's maps are good for finding a lot of the original roads. Earlier than that will give you original names of places, and paths that usually followed game trails. The Log Mountain area is an area I'd like to go to myself one day.

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Wish I could afford one, but I can't so I use my tongue
Primary Interest:
Other
..... although I am searching present day WV, the FIRST thing I have realized during my search is that these mines were all referenced prior to the American Civil War. (I think WV was formed out of more reasons than North Vs South) ... I personally believe that NO ONE during this time really knew where the hell they were. ....... State lines mean nothing to me. As far as this search goes, I believe the town names and geographical descriptions are MOST IMPORTANT

........ Anyone have any references to Jonathan Swift's mines being in Indian Camp, West Virginia.? .... Indian Camp is prehistoric, lots of things have been found there, including silver "necklace charms" and Indian stone pipes inlaid with silver .... there were really strange tools found in a cave near Indian camp. the finder had no idea what they were for and had them "refashioned" for something he could use. .. THAT MAN LATER FOUND FOUR SILVER BARS WHILE PLOWING A FIELD ......

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..... although I am searching present day WV, the FIRST thing I have realized during my search is that these mines were all referenced prior to the American Civil War. (I think WV was formed out of more reasons than North Vs South) ... I personally believe that NO ONE during this time really knew where the hell they were. ....... State lines mean nothing to me. As far as this search goes, I believe the town names and geographical descriptions are MOST IMPORTANT

........ Anyone have any references to Jonathan Swift's mines being in Indian Camp, West Virginia.? .... Indian Camp is prehistoric, lots of things have been found there, including silver "necklace charms" and Indian stone pipes inlaid with silver .... there were really strange tools found in a cave near Indian camp. the finder had no idea what they were for and had them "refashioned" for something he could use. .. THAT MAN LATER FOUND FOUR SILVER BARS WHILE PLOWING A FIELD ......

I have searched on Indian Camp Run for a lost Civil War Payroll. It is believed to be NE of Buchannon. Swift and his men did camp on Indian Camp Run and mined a small amount of silver. Not to rich in the area. There are rumors of a thick rich vein of silver near there where the mountain trail crosses the Old Seneca Indian Trail. Also in one of those caves on Indian Camp Run there was a huge compass carved over head with a compass reading but it fell from the ceiling and no one knows what direction it was pointing. French Trappers camped NE of Buchannon, there is a wonderful site there to behold. A large sycamore tree that the French Trappers camped under is still there today over 250 years later. It is so large today you could park three or four volkswagons under it. Some kids built a large fire under that tree I hope they did not damage it. Everyone should go and see what I think is one of the most breath taking sites in WVa.

The roads around Indian Camp Run when we were there in 1994 was almost single lane gravel and dirt roads. I had to slid our rental van side ways between two trees at the foot of a steep hill. Luckily I could drive sideways. We also had to cross a rocky river about like the river scene with the sirens on "Oh Brother where Art Thou" Beautiful country and a great place to look for treasure. We stayed at a "bed and breakfast" that still had Colonial Furniture and their rates were quite reasonable. Can not remember the name but it was in Buchannon.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wonderful.! ... i loved reading this.! ... if you can give me a little more info. about this huge tree the French Trappers camped under. .... i am quit familiar with the country up this way, I was born and raised near Indian Camp ..... see my recent posts for more on the Silver Mine at Indian Camp I whole heartedly believe there is a hidden Silver Mine. ......... theres tooo many EVIDENCES ... the tools that were found, the silver bars that have been found, and I have seen many of the markers described in Jonathan Swift's journals (although at the time didnt know what they were in reference to), ive seen the smeltering cave - IT's THERE

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Weren't the Shawnee Nation from Ohio using that land as HUNTING GROUNDS...? I know that they were in the Shenandoah Valley of Va., along the Shenandoah River...? I found MANY of their arrow-heads & tomahawk heads, as a kid.

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Weren't the Shawnee Nation from Ohio using that land as HUNTING GROUNDS...? I know that they were in the Shenandoah Valley of Va., along the Shenandoah River...? I found MANY of their arrow-heads & tomahawk heads, as a kid.

indeed the Shawnee were using this land, as were many other tribes. it's been said that the layers of ash alone are thousands of years old, making Indian Camp WV one of the oldest known sites here in America. ..... again, I believe the formation of WV had nothing to do with the whole North Vs. South. ................... the last known mentions of the Silver Mine at Indian Camp were only a couple years prior to the formation of the state (not to mention the other secrets hidden in WV and of-course political reasons, but I do not believe that WV was born of the Civil War alone but to hide the secrets thereof)

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have searched on Indian Camp Run for a lost Civil War Payroll. It is believed to be NE of Buchannon. Swift and his men did camp on Indian Camp Run and mined a small amount of silver. Not to rich in the area. There are rumors of a thick rich vein of silver near there where the mountain trail crosses the Old Seneca Indian Trail. Also in one of those caves on Indian Camp Run there was a huge compass carved over head with a compass reading but it fell from the ceiling and no one knows what direction it was pointing. French Trappers camped NE of Buchannon, there is a wonderful site there to behold. A large sycamore tree that the French Trappers camped under is still there today over 250 years later. It is so large today you could park three or four volkswagons under it. Some kids built a large fire under that tree I hope they did not damage it. Everyone should go and see what I think is one of the most breath taking sites in WVa.

The roads around Indian Camp Run when we were there in 1994 was almost single lane gravel and dirt roads. I had to slid our rental van side ways between two trees at the foot of a steep hill. Luckily I could drive sideways. We also had to cross a rocky river about like the river scene with the sirens on "Oh Brother where Art Thou" Beautiful country and a great place to look for treasure. We stayed at a "bed and breakfast" that still had Colonial Furniture and their rates were quite reasonable. Can not remember the name but it was in Buchannon.

please, please email me directly .. I would love to chat with you (although you may have to remind me why)

bulletprobe

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johanthan swift mines

hello my friends if ever your looking for the legendary mines of jonathan swift its looked in the fields of canada not in the usa

bulletprobe

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if ever looking for the legendary silver mines of jonathan swift its location is in canada not in the usa it is located in a forest park in canada and its a open pit mine my friends

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
if ever looking for the legendary silver mines of jonathan swift its location is in canada not in the usa it is located in a forest park in canada and its a open pit mine my friends

That solves it for me then! Ya'll can stop looking now, I told you all last year that it had been found....lol.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so sorry you are so missled i know for a fact they are in usa i have found three mines in a group the silver is there soon i hope to have lease contract then intend to show certain people not only mines but also the silver im very old and mabey a little senile however i intend if i live long enough to enlighten all dont know it all just what i have found good luck to you in your dreams rgb1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions