Were the Welsh here in KY much earlier than the Spanish?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the same bout as you bout remembering, but I first read it in "The Frontiersman" then I researched it a little bit. I've heard the redheaded giants before, I always thought Vikings, but could a been Welsh. It doesn't have to be a fantasy giant like what pops into most people's thoughts when ya say it. Anything close to or over 6 ft would a been a giant to the Indians ancestors. The way I understand it they were 6 inches shorter than us today.
Then ya got translation and retelling, I may say a hell of man that was redheaded, and you might say a big man or giantof a man.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This fits with an Indian story of the white Indians. Red haired, and were here long before swifts time. Story has it the Indians finally cornered and killed the last of them on an island on the Ohio river. Wish I could remember where I read it.

The place where they were finished off is called Rose Island. Its on the Ohio River at the mouth of Fourteen Mile Creek near Charlestown Park. Not far up river from Louisville.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did not John Filson write about the Welsh when he talked about the fortifications near Lexington, Ky. I thought he mentioned something about giants also.

Filson wrote about the traditions of Madoc. I think he credited the stone structures found by settlers near Lexington to the Welsh/Madoc.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the same bout as you bout remembering, but I first read it in "The Frontiersman" then I researched it a little bit. I've heard the redheaded giants before, I always thought Vikings, but could a been Welsh. It doesn't have to be a fantasy giant like what pops into most people's thoughts when ya say it. Anything close to or over 6 ft would a been a giant to the Indians ancestors. The way I understand it they were 6 inches shorter than us today.
Then ya got translation and retelling, I may say a hell of man that was redheaded, and you might say a big man or giantof a man.

So I recall a History channel series called America Unearthed. As I recall one episode covered several claims of 6-8ft tall red haired skeletons found in caves and burial mounds. In every account the Smithsonian was sent the bones for examination. The Smithsonian cannot find any records of those cases.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I remember hiker, seems like evidence with any ties to the redheaded giants, methodically disappears. Even the show you're talking bout kinda gave the impression of fantastical giants. Which to me is kinda trying to discredit the legend, when the truth is already beyond fasinating. The Giants, if real IMO weren't like Jack and the Beanstalk giants, or the Jolly Green Giant haha. They were 6 feet give or take, and the red hair or blonde hair would have added a mystique for the Indians, who had most likely never seen it before. A red headed man 6 inches taller than you with sparkling blue eyes, metal weapons and armor, would be a GIANT.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I'm a red headed peckerwood! My name was always "Hey Red". I didn't learn about the term Ginger until the last few years. I was always Red on the head like the blank on a dog.... Now I know I'm a ginger!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember mom telling about the Welsh Indians. I wish I could find the reference I read many years ago.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You do ere in your measurements of a giant. The Bible tells us there were giants in the Earth in the early days. When David slew Goliath, Goliath was nine feet and nine inches tall or about three meters tall. The skeletons they found in Kentucky were over eight feet in length. Some larger some smaller. There were giants on Earth whether the scientist admit it or cover it up, we know it to be fact because the Holy Bible says so.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the early days are a few years before 1170 A.D., I was trying to make a case for the Welsh bein the Giants in the Native American legends. I'm open to all possibilities tho. I think if they were 8 or 9 ft we can rule out the Welsh. Thanks ya, Franklin

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do ere in your measurements of a giant. The Bible tells us there were giants in the Earth in the early days. When David slew Goliath, Goliath was nine feet and nine inches tall or about three meters tall. The skeletons they found in Kentucky were over eight feet in length. Some larger some smaller. There were giants on Earth whether the scientist admit it or cover it up, we know it to be fact because the Holy Bible says so.

I believe the biblical giants were supposed to be the result of fallen angels and human women. Don't know if the angels were supposed to have red hair and blue eyes or not though.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the early days are a few years before 1170 A.D., I was trying to make a case for the Welsh bein the Giants in the Native American legends. I'm open to all possibilities tho. I think if they were 8 or 9 ft we can rule out the Welsh. Thanks ya, Franklin

Red haired remains have been found out West that were claimed to be over 7ft. The height of those found East of the Mississippi River is unknown to me. Being that there are no bones to be had for proof, thanks Smithsonian, its all conjecture.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the biblical giants were supposed to be the result of fallen angels and human women. Don't know if the angels were supposed to have red hair and blue eyes or not though.

Most of the red hair in America came from Colonel Tarleton during the Revolutionary War. He raped more women than anyone else in America.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the red hair in America came from Colonel Tarleton during the Revolutionary War. He raped more women than anyone else in America.

Oh Lord, you mean he may be my Daddy?

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most Red Hair in America came from the thousands of immigrants from Scotland and Ireland in the mid to late 1800s. Who ever the Colonel you refer too is, no matter how dasterdly, did NOT procreate most of America's redheaded people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair

"....In Ireland, the percentage of population with red hair is estimated to be at around 10%.[11][12][13] According to Britain's DNA, 34.7% of the Irish population carry the genes for red hair, although this doesn't directly translate proportionally into births of red-haired children.[14]

Scotland also has a very high percentage with around 6% of the population having red hair.[10][15] Previously it was estimated that red hair occurrence in Scotland was around 13%, which had been widely reported in reliable media sources.[16] However, Dr. Jim Wilson of Britain's DNA study used a sample of 2,343 people, and found red hair occurrence of 6% in Scotland, with 35% overall carrying the gene and Edinburgh having the highest proportion of gene carriers at 40%.[10][15][17] The largest ever study of hair colour in Scotland, which analysed over 500,000 people in 1907, found the percentage of Scots with red hair to be 5.3%.[18]

38% of Welsh people carry the red haired gene.[10] A 1956 study of hair colour among British army recruits found higher levels of red hair in Wales and the English Border counties.[19]..."

Last edited:

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive read in more than one place that black hair over time decays and turns reddish. If this is true I'm sure it plays into at least a percentage of the legends that deal with remains only.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread