Spanish Map 1632 Part 2

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
I was going to give you all, the info in one large map, but I have to do it in sections. Paul Henson gave me info on the silver mine hollow in Jackson county. looking at the place (wow) it was dug-up like lower devils creek. At the mouth of the hollow I did find a carving that was vary old with a line carved down the center. the carving was shaped like a triangle with one point showing north along with the line down the center. if you notice there is no triangle on the Spanish map. later on I found out why. the two lower points of the triangle ran east and west.
the maps below will show how it worked out. the large cross on the Spanish map is a small valley running east and west with a sharp turn on the east end heading south. there are two drains on the west end of the cross heading north and south with the south arm short and the north arm long. between the two arms is a large lime stone rock that was cut in the shape of a bear with the arms out stretched and the mouth opened. I noticed the head faced down the valley and it was looking dew east. look at the photo of the bear and you will see that one eye is closed. I found that the eye had been chipped away with only one eye pointing east. I know that a vary old Indian group must have done it because in the mornings the rising sun would show in the mouth of the small opening. some one later on chipped the eye shut. two make a pointer to something else? the lady that owned the place said I could look at it all I wanted. but that was back in 2003. I donot know who has the place now, but a contract would help because there may be something buried inside the mouth? or at the end of the valley, also check each end of the arms.
the map showing the triangle in red also shows an arrow center bottom. showing a hill that the line runs though, vary near the center of the hill are carvings. east end of lower line is wind cave, you will see a small ledge on east side that has a small turkey track pointing to the opening of the cave and another pointing down the creek. I never got to go up on the upper side of the triangle to check out the creek or the top of the hill there. on the Spanish map at center left it shows the two ends of creeks that do not match topo map. the two branches notice the ends stop side by side. the one on your left is about where silver mine hollow would be. remember the triangle I found at silver mine hollow, run a line across them and you have the lower part of the triangle. the upper part the cross.

Attachments

• jackson trianle 2.jpg
    jackson trianle 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 271
  • 1632 CROSS LOCATION.png
    1632 CROSS LOCATION.png
    404 KB · Views: 229
  • head of cross 1632.png
    head of cross 1632.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 264
  • spanish-swift 001.jpg
    spanish-swift 001.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 242
  • spanish-swift  bear.jpg
    spanish-swift bear.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture 4 looks like a natural formation to me...are the fence boards there to keep kids out? I can't tell if it is a collapsed cave entrance or just a spring converted to a cistern. I don't see evidence of carved rock, just layers of natural rock IMO. Maybe the head of the cross and this location are one in the same, could this have been a mineral deposit (salt lick)? Close water sources and salt sources were much needed pre 1900s. Not knocking your research boomer, I just don't see anything other than a natural formation in my untrained eye.

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
bear rock

well hiker, this rock structure is reverting back to the natural state. the first time I saw this was way back in 1990 and than in 2003. I had time so I started working on the Spanish map. working on stuff here in Kentucky I found that with so many indian groups living here over thousands of years I had better know the deference between indian carvings and English, French and Spanish marks. that's when I started learning about indian mounds and structures. I studied that bear for 3 days the original bear head was almost round, but over hundreds of years with rain, mud slides and winter ice, snow storms. it has put it in the state you now see it. first they used lime stone slabs to build up the head and extended slabs for the arms ( I'm guessing the arms were about 4 feet high.) you can still see the chisel marks in some places. if you look close under the nose you will see a large block of stone supporting the nose. the mouth was covered to keep pesky critter's from using it for a den. also the way the valley runs the bear is pointing right at the morning sun rising over the ridge. has for the closed eye, you still can see the hammer marks where someone closed it.( for all of you, make sure you get permission with the land owners before you start a search and try to get a contract for the land owners and your safety ). i'll have part three in a few days

Attachments

• spanish-swift 002.jpg
    spanish-swift 002.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 180

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread