KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The article jeff of pa posted was about Owingsville,Ky. . No where near the property mentioned in the video

I thought John's Run was John's Run near Prestonsburg and Paintsville as shown on the map Prather had in the video? Guess that was Johns creek...

Ahh I see now Carter County. Up near the state line, I-64 runs through it. Sorry. Had no idea there were two Johns Run creeks.

Topo map of that area. https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?l...nad83&zoom=8&map=auto&coord=d&mode=pan&size=m

Silver Mines branch just South of the strip mine on Johns Creek.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
The article says Owingsville But it's about carter county . The name of the hollow referred to in the article is Johns Run but I found on a geologic map as Johns branch near Owingsville. About 1/2 mile up the branch there is a fault line that's crosses the hollow. So it could be possible there is something there as well. Owingsville is NNW of West Liberty, so there must be 3 Johns run/creek/Branch.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought John's Run was John's Run near Prestonsburg and Paintsville as shown on the map Prather had in the video? Guess that was Johns creek...

Ahh I see now Carter County. Up near the state line, I-64 runs through it. Sorry. Had no idea there were two Johns Run creeks.

Topo map of that area. https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?l...nad83&zoom=8&map=auto&coord=d&mode=pan&size=m

That Is close to the mines that Curtis found too.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owingsville is near Mt Sterling, it is possible that the newspaper was out of there. The story said Carter County, the topo map for that area is in my previous post. Not too far from Carter Caves as well.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other

Johns run is probably 10-12 miles south of 64, on rt 1 between Hitchins and Willard. Probably about the same distance from mines Curtis found, the way the crow flies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This video in the original post is always worth a re-watch. I'm betting my money this is the Swift we are all looking for...the dates were changed to secure any land rights disputes that might have come up. 1761 puts it before ANY English claims to the West.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Alexandria, VA there is this ...

Attachments

• SwiftTombstone.jpg
    SwiftTombstone.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 24

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither of those two are the Jonathan Swift of the Swift Silver Mines pamphlet. The older Jonathan Swift would have had his wife's name Desiree Ann Swift on the headstone instead of his son. I found their marriage once in the Fairfax County records. Also his son was too young at the time of the mining. And it could not have been him.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree, but it is good to see you on here again! I haven't seen you or Rebel in quite some time on TNet.

The 'legend and journal' claim 1761-1769 as his time for entering and leaving the mines but looking from an historical point of view, it is likely that 1781-1789 seem more probable. By him saying 1761 this would predate any British claim to the lands and mine locations. By the way, the headstone is of the Jonathan Swift who married Ms. Roberdeau. There is no other documented Jonathan Swift from Alexandria who visited the KY region other than this Swift. If another is found, I would entertain any theory surrounding that documentation!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a book in the Danville Public Library in Danville, Virginia in their Archives records. It had a Jonathan Swift married a Desiree Ann. Her last name was Swift. I don't know if that was before the marriage or after. I have searched at least a dozen times since for that book of weddings in Fairfax County, Virginia but I have been unable to find it. There should be other copies but I have not found one. I found other members of the Swift Party from North Carolina. I sold a pamphlet one time with all the information through Treasure Magazine Ads. But only one was purchased in Pennsylvania. I hope he has had luck finding some of the treasure. My research was not the silver mines but their homesteads where they would have taken all of the treasures to. Unfortunately, Deed Book 1 I needed for the older Deeds and Wills had been stolen. I still found about seven of the men when they sold their properties or Willed them to their descendants.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions