KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About to get laid off for the fall and first part of winter. I'm gonna hit it hard guys. Coppermocasins will all be holed up and I've lots of places on my list, but 2 that keep popping out at me. Hopefully they'll reveal some answers or maybe more questions.

Enjoy and stay safe, especially if your out alone.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful about those coppermocasins. It gets warm they will be out crawling. Rattlers and coppers will be ready to strike on warm days no matter what time of year.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
YEP, Copperheads are NASTY snakes; Water Moccasins/Cotton Mouths (snakes) are USUALLY of concern near water...

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I tried my luck at panning this evening. The dirt I gathered over the past few days from 2 of the spots that have been sticking in my head. The 2 small shinys show bright red with silver testing solution. I suspect copper, cause of the green and lead or antimony from the others. Any ideas? 151173725895622155808.jpg

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like silver and copper to me.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I tried my luck at panning this evening. The dirt I gathered over the past few days from 2 of the spots that have been sticking in my head. The 2 small shinys show bright red with silver testing solution. I suspect copper, cause of the green and lead or antimony from the others. Any ideas? View attachment 1520261

Nice chunks you found there, did you try using a metal detector over them? Red may be iron too.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice chunks you found there, did you try using a metal detector over them? Red may be iron too.

Hey Hiker, they're really small actually, shoulda put something for reference. I'm zoomed way in, there. Not sure what all I've got there, went through a Lot of dirt to get this, I'm left wondering what all I sloshed outta the pan.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Hiker, they're really small actually, shoulda put something for reference. I'm zoomed way in, there. Not sure what all I've got there, went through a Lot of dirt to get this, I'm left wondering what all I sloshed outta the pan.

I was told many years ago, if you find rounded edges on pebbles and small rocks it indicates tumbling in or through water for many (many) years. Sharp edges indicate flaking and or breaking away from larger stones more recently. It probably depends on the type of rock/sediment/deposit...I have seen limestone that has jagged edges along creeks here around the Louisville area (creek stone) with tons of fossils in it. Again, geology was never my strong suit... just repeating what I recall others have said.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I see what could be a piece of copper, two pieces of maybe silver, or welding slag, and flakes of a silicate of some kind. The rest I’m not sure of.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what could be a piece of copper, two pieces of maybe silver, or welding slag, and flakes of a silicate of some kind. The rest I’m not sure of.

Thank ya for reply, exactly what I'm Thinkin too. I can't say it's for sure silver, I just know what the silver testing solution does. I like hearing y'alls thoughts, keep em Colin if something pops in your mind. 15120149422781646124839.jpg

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey brushy rgb1 here if you have some nitric acid silver will desolve in 20% nitric and rest distilled water after it disolves add either some hcl muratic acid or uniodized salt if it is silver it will give a white currdy looking precipatate this is silver chloride dry it completly [it dries very slowly ] weigh it or smelt with soda ash to get a bead this will prove if silver hope this helps rgb1

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a carving today. No pictures but the carving is: YI ELUE
I wish I had my phone with me because the Y had a circle around the bottom. It was more like a symbol rather than a letter Y. I googled ELUE and it comes up French for elected, but can also mean Beloved. Any suggestions or ideas?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a carving today. No pictures but the carving is: YI ELUE
I wish I had my phone with me because the Y had a circle around the bottom. It was more like a symbol rather than a letter Y. I googled ELUE and it comes up French for elected, but can also mean Beloved. Any suggestions or ideas?

coelbren aphabet? basically ancient welsh... the coelbrenAphabet.gif letter Y look familiar? Turkey track....

Y could be Yeshua read jesus.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will get pictures, the terrain is so tough I usually end up damp to wet, so I don't like taking my phone. But I'll put in a baggie in my backpack. I'm excited for ya to see Hiker. Thank ya

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will get pictures, the terrain is so tough I usually end up damp to wet, so I don't like taking my phone. But I'll put in a baggie in my backpack. I'm excited for ya to see Hiker. Thank ya

You could take some paper and a pencil and try doing a rubbing as well. Roll the paper up and put it in a zip lock bag to keep dry for the trip. Just a thought.

Bill

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a curiosity, but today I read a copy of Swifts journal for the first time. It mentions the 83rd meridian, it runs almost right through one of the locations we have suspected was a silver mine. Got my heart pumping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread