Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree412Likes

Thread: Swift Silver??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mr.

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    320 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    EC isn't Grayson Lake the area Boomer and the others met one year? (I have read all the threads on here and seem to recall it). Seems I recall a thread mentioning the probability of a large vein being found while building the dam? Or am I confusing this with another location?
    Brushy Bandit and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    Mr.

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    320 times
    The whiter colored piece has nodules that look like it was poured on to soft ground and then cooled. Looks chalky like lead when it oxyidizes. A knife should be able to shave a peice off smooth if its mostly lead. Silver won't shave like that being harder. The yellowish colored one probably has a different ratio of metals to it. I wonder if these are spillage from native lead being heated to make ball ammo for black powder rifles. That might explain the silver content and there shape. No way to tell how old it is though...
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Feb 09, 2017 at 08:47 PM.

DSL

Jan 2017
    28 times
    Okay, as for type of location of find. It was found with a metal detector just outside of a large rock overhang located on a very steep hill with large car size boulders strewn about its face. Possible house/cabin site? NO. Excavated dirt,dump or backfill? NO. Terrain is so steep and remote that it's impossible for dump or backfill to have come from above. Excavation wouldn't be possible because equipment would have to be lowered in by a helicopter and that would only be possible after hand digging a platform large enough to lower equipment onto. For anyone that is remotely familiar with the 150' high rock walls, bluffs and remoteness of the lake itself. Not to mention the numerous long gorges that form the head waters and feeder creeks of the lake itself. When Grayson Lake was impounded in 1969 it flooded a very large natural gorge. It was put in place as flood control management for the town of Grayson. I hope this reply has put the location of find into perspective for those wondering, questioning or doubting the plausibility of it being part of a lost silver mine.
    I'd like to add one thing that I hadn't previously addressed. The larger piece could possibly contain lead as it is very heavy for its size. I'm certain the owner isn't going to separate the piece to find out for certain but it is highly likely.

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    Whites Specta V3i; Garrett AT Pro
    291 times
    No you are exactly right. Back in 2009 or 2010 there was a "meeting of the minds." I believe Boomer, Curtis and many other experts in this field attended. I was going to go but due to a sickness in my family I was unable to. I hated it too especially when it was in my own back yard.

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    291 times
    Silver is often found with lead! I know this country and I know the terrain. I firmly believe you found something special.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL View Post
    Okay, as for type of location of find. It was found with a metal detector just outside of a large rock overhang located on a very steep hill with large car size boulders strewn about its face. Possible house/cabin site? NO. Excavated dirt,dump or backfill? NO. Terrain is so steep and remote that it's impossible for dump or backfill to have come from above. Excavation wouldn't be possible because equipment would have to be lowered in by a helicopter and that would only be possible after hand digging a platform large enough to lower equipment onto. For anyone that is remotely familiar with the 150' high rock walls, bluffs and remoteness of the lake itself. Not to mention the numerous long gorges that form the head waters and feeder creeks of the lake itself. When Grayson Lake was impounded in 1969 it flooded a very large natural gorge. It was put in place as flood control management for the town of Grayson. I hope this reply has put the location of find into perspective for those wondering, questioning or doubting the plausibility of it being part of a lost silver mine.
    I'd like to add one thing that I hadn't previously addressed. The larger piece could possibly contain lead as it is very heavy for its size. I'm certain the owner isn't going to separate the piece to find out for certain but it is highly likely.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    205 times
    I think so too EC Mason, in my mind it has turned a legend and myth into fact.
    EC.Mason, KY Hiker and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    291 times
    You all may have broken this wide open. Ill text you both tomorrow.

us
    Mr.

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    320 times
    Silver melts at around 1760 F. Lead is much lower at around 325 F. A cast iron skillet will melt around 2200 F. If your friend can find an old junker iron skillet and build himself a good deep pit fire (like dakota fire pit) he can get what lead is in there our fairly easy. Next to come out would be Zinc around 785 F. All the good stuff won't melt out until 1760 F and up. Doubtful you could get a pit fire that hot anyway so at least it would be less contaminated than it was found.

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    291 times
    Great idea Hiker! Thanks for that info.
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Hiker View Post
    Silver melts at around 1760 F. Lead is much lower at around 325 F. A cast iron skillet will melt around 2200 F. If your friend can find an old junker iron skillet and build himself a good deep pit fire (like dakota fire pit) he can get what lead is in there our fairly easy. Next to come out would be Zinc around 785 F. All the good stuff won't melt out until 1760 F and up. Doubtful you could get a pit fire that hot anyway so at least it would be less contaminated than it was found.
    Rebel - KGC and MasterMason46 like this.

us
    Mr.

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EC.Mason View Post
    You all may have broken this wide open. Ill text you both tomorrow.
    You all keep the rest of us up to date please. Good luck, hope you find the remnants of the workings in that rock house!
    Brushy Bandit and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    291 times
    This is Brushy Bandit and DSLs find, they have just been nice enough to share some information with me. Im hoping to meet them both soon and learn from them and hopefully show them something that may hep them as well. These guys may have found something that can prove there were mines in Elliott County. I appreciate them sharing with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Hiker View Post
    You all keep the rest of us up to date please. Good luck, hope you find the remnants of the workings in that rock house!

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    205 times
    Great info, but I think itd be a move in the wrong direction to alter them from there present state. I mean what melting has been done to them was done 100, 200, 300, 400? Years ago.

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    291 times
    I agree I would mount those babies above my mantle! Hiker does provide some interesting info on how to test for silver though. I actually wrote that idea down in my notes.

us
    Mr.

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    320 times
    I thought you all may want to know how 'pure' the samples were. Photo, weigh and measure what you found. Get the GPS coordinates for the find location and document is all. Then take a part of one of them and see what you found. Like I said lead is soft and a knife should be able to shave slivers off, silver won't. Silver is around $20/oz so its not a money thing, its a purity thing.

us
    Mr.

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    320 times
    If/when you go back to the find location. I would bet there are smaller 'drops' or spills to get as samples. That is, if the sight was used regularly to melt ore. Check further downhill from previous location as smaller spills would wash/roll down easier. Good Luck.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links