KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be E-W; Sun rises in the EAST, & sets in the WEST.

An arch has to form on a ridge roughly running North South, thus the N-S orientation to be able to see the East or Western directions through it... also Sun rise and set is close to E and W in June 20-21st (longest day) then it gradually moves Southward until the shortest day roughly Dec.20-21st. The sun also travels with a higher arch in the warmer months. So at noon in June it is almost overhead while in December is more toward the horizon. The point of this is, you can rule out an arch as being the Swift lighthouse if it sits on a East-West running ridge (the opening facing North and South.

Daylight calculator (number of daylight hours, with sunrise and sunset, and daylight saving time) in Lexington, KY, United States (or anywhere else)

Last edited:

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is easy to overlook, when trees are full. I've been trying to find something written about this arch and I can't find anything. I will check the bearings?
Hiker can you see the pictures below, the hooked W and other dots and marks.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is easy to overlook, when trees are full. I've been trying to find something written about this arch and I can't find anything. I will check the bearings?
Hiker can you see the pictures below, the hooked W and other dots and marks.

I don't see a picture in your post...? or are you talking about the previous post?
If so yes I can see the marks, it might be better trying to shade them with a piece of paper and charcoal like people do with grave headstones. That might show other things in relief.
The middle one looks like roman numeral 6 or VI with a faint arrow points downward under it? Or a W with a tail on the front? The stone with the tape across it I can't visualize at all.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coal does not burn as hot as "coke" Probably would not be hot enough to melt silver ore?

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charcoal and coke are very different, what I've read says Swift made charcoal outta wood not coke outta coal.
Coal burns much hotter than charcoal, while coke makes more heat than either one.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I witnessed a cast iron grate in a fireplace insert heated to a white hot point with nothing but wood. Once the grate cooled down it was very brittle and it broke into pieces. So I'm figuring that would have been hot enough to of melted silver.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This new cast iron grates are most likely made with Chinese iron. I used a grate in my fire place one night, it bowed and warped. And the next day, I threw it away. Do not believe it takes much heat to trash the cast iron?

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
this was 30+ years ago and it came with the American made insert. and the wife was chucking hickory wood on it. She was sitting in front f it and said she was freezing when I got home from work. I figure by the insert being an American made they didn't put a cheap china made grate in it.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron is iron no matter where it comes from, if it is alloyed with something else that could cause it to be weaker or stronger (steel).

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my 2 cents worth haveing a little experience in the field cast iron is actually composed of many additives like a cake recipe this is some of them depending how good of quality they want carbon, cu , phosphous, silica, manganese, magnesium, steel , molydenum, sulphur, depending on hardness and how brittle when the carbon is burnt out or the manganese it will break very easily it loses its elongation .

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have to analyze the specific process because it all depends on what state it was worked .. and the eutectic point and if eutectoids are formed...finally got to use some info from metallurgy course in college 1973-hope I remember right. It makes a difference in the alignment structure of the grain.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are in the right ball park i didn't remember enough of this to explain so tried to put it in layman terms this all can be altered by a sharp blow of a hammer while hot it changes the structure of the molecules

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just re-read this tonight,

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/l...n-swift/12327-indian-waybill-swift-mines.html

I am forming a theory related to this and the Prather Book I finished last week. His presumption is Swift bought lands in KY to throw off and deceive would be seekers of the mines to different locations, mainly the British (think spys and loyalists in taverns) during the Rev. war. It would be interesting to know the date of the Indian Waybill through Elliot Co. If anyone knows where to find it or can site a source I would be most appreciative!
So what if Swift knew of the mines in Elliot Co. and those were the 'indian mines' Monde/Munde/Mundy led him to (upper middle or lower?). What if they worked those mines but needed to keep them hush-hush-nudge-nudge...Swift was a merchant at a major port at that time. It would be easy to move and sell the lead as a merchant while minting the silver coin on the side. If one of their crew had a bit too much to drink back in Alexandria and said something they weren't supposed to...what better way to throw off any pursuit of their activity than to purchase large tracts of land with similar features. Those transactions would be recorded and title to land issued...
I find it hard to swallow that Swift was mining silver in KY, the Indians were mining silver in KY, and these two places and groups of people knew nothing of the other place?

Last edited:

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just re-read this tonight,

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/l...n-swift/12327-indian-waybill-swift-mines.html

I am forming a theory related to this and the Prather Book I finished last week. His presumption is Swift bought lands in KY to throw off and deceive would be seekers of the mines to different locations, mainly the British (think spys and loyalists in taverns) during the Rev. war. It would be interesting to know the date of the Indian Waybill through Elliot Co. If anyone knows where to find it or can site a source I would be most appreciative!
So what if Swift knew of the mines in Elliot Co. and those were the 'indian mines' Monde/Munde/Mundy led him to (upper middle or lower?). What if they worked those mines but needed to keep them hush-hush-nudge-nudge...Swift was a merchant at a major port at that time. It would be easy to move and sell the lead as a merchant while minting the silver coin on the side. If one of their crew had a bit too much to drink back in Alexandria and said something they weren't supposed to...what better way to throw off any pursuit of their activity than to purchase large tracts of land with similar features. Those transactions would be recorded and title to land issued...
I find it hard to swallow that Swift was mining silver in KY, the Indians were mining silver in KY, and these two places and groups of people knew nothing of the other place?

Adding to your theory one of the Indians with Swift could have been the Joseph from the Waybill.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody is the hero when they write their own story, the white man he refers to "if the white man hasn't cut them down" might be Swift or one of his crew. I always thought he meant white man as referring to a race of people but maybe he had it pinpointed down.
There are a lot of connections to the stories almost an overlay of sorts. I do not have an origin story about the Waybill other than what Boomer has already posted here on Tnet. I do think uncorrupted info on the Waybill is more likely to be out there because it hasn't made it into the mainstream.
Also I believe the oddities in the Waybill make it credible. I can't imagine some of the lines in the Waybill being put in by someone trying to make it believable. It's very interesting to me as well that we could be looking at the same story written from 2 very different perspectives.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread