Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree464Likes

Thread: Swift Silver??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    215 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I would like to know hiker, but I think it would be disaster to destroy the pieces themselves. Great information tho. Thank ya

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    Whites Specta V3i; Garrett AT Pro
    293 times
    Good idea! Always check downhill. I do that when I dig a rockhouse for Indian artifacts. The power of gravity! lol
    Last edited by EC.Mason; Feb 09, 2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    215 times
    I'd have to hold my breath to check much farther down hill. Haha
    franklin, Rebel - KGC and KY Hiker like this.

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    293 times
    lol I understand. I do have some underwater detectors I could loan ya!

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    215 times
    I couldn't borrow them, we could possibly get together and check it out. I'm pretty sure the water gets really deep quickly in the spot where the smaller piece was found.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    215 times
    I do have some friends on the fire department dive team. It would great practice for them....maybe?

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    293 times
    Be no problem to loan them to you. I said underwater detectors but they are actually AT Pros which can be used under water. Yeah I would be figuring out a way to really hit that site. May be more in the water.

us
    Mr.

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    336 times
    Old Farmers Almanac says a cooler than normal and drier than normal Summer. Maybe wait for a bit of a drought then try your luck with the detector.
    franklin and Rebel - KGC like this.

DSL

Jan 2017
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Hiker View Post
    I thought you all may want to know how 'pure' the samples were. Photo, weigh and measure what you found. Get the GPS coordinates for the find location and document is all. Then take a part of one of them and see what you found. Like I said lead is soft and a knife should be able to shave slivers off, silver won't. Silver is around $20/oz so its not a money thing, its a purity thing.
    You are correct in it not being a "money thing". It's a history thing! Absolutely no way that any person who found the pieces would even remotely consider melting it down just to determine purity. IMHO, they're worth a 1,000 times it's weight in silver as is just because of the possible history behind them. Can u imagine if Native Americans or possibly Swift himself had something to do with those pieces??!! It could potentially be the find of the century and an invaluable piece of history. Not to mention turning legend into fact.
    I agree with Mason on your process of determining the purity of silver content. I just feel it would be a travesty to perform that on these 2 specimens.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    215 times
    I'm curious if there is some way to date the pieces. Will carbon dating give information that will prove when they were smelted, or are there other tests that can be done?
    KY Hiker, franklin and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    Jul 2003
    kentucky
    army all terrain
    202 times
    this type of run off can be found on caney creek just below the large mine where the slag was tossed over the side of the cliff down to the drain. back in those days you could walk across the creek. also on big sinking creek, upper part of sandy on the east side where a fire burned along the cliffs. a large silver vein runs where the dam is now and runs down rt. 1496 the road that heads east before the dam. two miles down that road on the left is silver mines branch. at the end of that branch and across the ridge is johns run creek where silver ore and bars where found but no trailing or slag, also around carter caves there are old silver mine openings, but a lot of lead and zinc in the veins. theirs a lot of silver and lead in those to counties, but its all on government land. has for testing of silver, if the acid test shows nothing, than the acid is bad or there is no metal content to register. acid test will shows a light green color its 65-75% silver, 77-90% silver a gray color, 90-100% silver a creamy color.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    215 times
    Thanks for info Boomer, my home place is just off 1496. I'm very familiar with the area. There is a green tint with the acid test on one piece, the other looks creamy to me, maybe grayish. I have nothing to compare it too. Im certain both contain silver, but I'm not an expert with the acid test, or metallurgy at all, unless it comes to welding it.
    Last edited by Brushy Bandit; Feb 10, 2017 at 02:20 PM.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    215 times
    Any idea where any of the bars or Slag that have been found are located or whose has them now?

us
    Mr.

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushy Bandit View Post
    I would like to know hiker, but I think it would be disaster to destroy the pieces themselves. Great information tho. Thank ya
    Just putting myself in your shoes. If I said I found a big hunk of metal that has silver in it the first question people will ask after where you found it is...How do you know it has silver in it? Or How much silver is in it? I understand keeping in tact but understand there will always be those with skepticism.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    215 times
    I for sure understand where your comin from, but the quality of the silver really ain't important to me. It's that these prove there has been silver found and smelted in this area in the past. I've always heard the legends and myths, and always thought of them as just that, merely stories. These pieces prove to me ,if only me,that there is silver in them there hills. All the other pieces that would prove this have forever eluded me. Either lost to time, kept in secret, or simply just stories, not saying there isn't some of these pieces out there, but my search for them has always ran into a dead end.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links