KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...would like to see a bigger map....lots of changes in area. Mason said they did some blasting at the line of rocks when they were getting ready to fill the reservoir... maybe they did more.

Did a little online research on Army Corps of Engineers and their work on various dams and levies in the Mississippi valley a while back, mostly from 1930s and 40s. Typical for them to remove loose of compromised material (rock) and use it for levy building or to fill in 'bypass' or shortcuts the rivers had made in the past. It looked to me that they made sure the channel stays clear of material over the years and assures where the water would flow in a flood event and not flow through the bypass. Why it would matter on a creek behind a dam I can't be certain. I'm don't know much about hydrology.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its interesting. What stands out to me is how Caney splits and runs through the inlet above the horseshoe bend, which it no longer does.

Look at a detail map of the lower Mississippi River it did that in multiple places. Can't imagine that creek holding that kind of flow of water to make that cut. That must have been made during the melt of the last ice age? By the way, good to see you back on here again Brushy!

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a little online research on Army Corps of Engineers and their work on various dams and levies in the Mississippi valley a while back, mostly from 1930s and 40s. Typical for them to remove loose of compromised material (rock) and use it for levy building or to fill in 'bypass' or shortcuts the rivers had made in the past. It looked to me that they made sure the channel stays clear of material over the years and assures where the water would flow in a flood event and not flow through the bypass. Why it would matter on a creek behind a dam I can't be certain. I'm don't know much about hydrology.

To accomadate boat traffic, there's a boat ramp just above the line of rocks.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boat ramp? hmm I didn't think a creek would be deep enough for motor boats...I really need to see this place sometime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread