Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been checking on geology professors at the surrounding universities, I've emailed the two that are the closest, just waiting on their reply, hope it interests them enough to get involved.
Also, I've found a W carved in a rock. In the middle of the W the lines extend out and make an x instead of a v. I included a picture of it written paper, my phone was dead and didn't get a picture. I'm calling it a hooked W, haha. Anybody ever heard of this or any idea what it could mean? It's looks like the first picture. 14876528730452114098794.jpg

Attachments

• 14876526925731276957887.jpg
    14876526925731276957887.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gun is used by scrap metal buyers too. There was one in Cincinnati that had it and (yellow) he moved to n. Carolina. I sold him some Inconel and carbide and he checked the inconel with the gun..that is a good idea if you could find one..and you might try the chemistry departments in universities....those are state institutions and they should help a guy out-taxpayers you know-I don't have anything from tests being done near Caney..I was thinking maybe Boomer (lots of posts on this thread) did for a different area (near Carter)..he maybe able to share where he had the assay done.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh almost forgot...the W is in other places near there, its on the large turtle shaped rock in Caney...I think it signifies hollows-used to think it was mountains but not now.

There is an article in a magazine or newspaper (thinking 1980s) that details three guys going to Caney and finding all kinds of Swift stuff on moss covered boulders..I just never found anything they mentioned except the rock/crack with a lid on it. They said it was the "Lighthouse" swift talks about..and there are two monument rocks he talks about -near the line of rocks-they seem to match-but Until you found the silver I was pretty sure the only silver mines were Indian's..maybe....but maybe Swift's. I will try to dig up the article..the guys were from Jellico and spent some time there. Even found rock with the Swift group members names on it...a guy at National Mines Service Company had also found it but said it was under water now. He didn't tell us where it was.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 hollers, hollows down from this W is where the kegs of coins was supposed to be found if I'm not mistakin.
Ive never seen or heard that story bout the guys from Jellico, but my personal opinion is that it's indians, Spanish, or french. I also believe there are mines on down the Sandy into the main part of the lake. Unfortunately they're like the rock ,underwater, no solid evidence for this belief just hearsay.
Yeah I'm gonna keep chasing till I find the right path, that helps me figure out all I can about these pieces.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh almost forgot...the W is in other places near there, its on the large turtle shaped rock in Caney...I think it signifies hollows-used to think it was mountains but not now.

There is an article in a magazine or newspaper (thinking 1980s) that details three guys going to Caney and finding all kinds of Swift stuff on moss covered boulders..I just never found anything they mentioned except the rock/crack with a lid on it. They said it was the "Lighthouse" swift talks about..and there are two monument rocks he talks about -near the line of rocks-they seem to match-but Until you found the silver I was pretty sure the only silver mines were Indian's..maybe....but maybe Swift's. I will try to dig up the article..the guys were from Jellico and spent some time there. Even found rock with the Swift group members names on it...a guy at National Mines Service Company had also found it but said it was under water now. He didn't tell us where it was.

I would be interested in that article if you can find it. If there is a Turtle like rock, names of Swift party carved on rocks, monument rocks... only thing missing is remarkable rock and you got yourself a bonefide Swift location! The \/\/ like symbol seams like an inverted /\/\ found elsewhere, maybe meaning opposite direction from each other or climb the ridge and follow the valley.

Last edited:

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20170222-221847.png

I've got a horse I'll trade for 3 sprinkle dollars. The article is dated 11/16/1891.

A later article says Swift wrote 29 known versions of the journal, and at least 16 known versions of the map, after he went blind. He was selling them to help support himself.

Last edited:

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in that article if you can find it. If there is a Turtle like rock, names of Swift party carved on rocks, monument rocks... only thing missing is remarkable rock and you got yourself a bonefide Swift location! The \/\/ like symbol seams like an inverted /\/\ found elsewhere, maybe meaning opposite direction from each other or climb the ridge and follow the valley.

If the rock wasn't underwater in the 80s, it wouldn't be underwater now. The lake was finished in '68 or '69. Perhaps the article is written years after those guys were here. Does it show pictures?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any updates on the 'objects' found? Have not heard anything in a couple of weeks. Was wondering what the content of the metal is?

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really ain't been on top of anything lately workin 12hrs on night shift,, driving hr and half each way, I'll post when I get some info.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not look like anyone else has any time to search for the Swift Silver Mines. Or either they are out in the wilderness and can't get a land line to post on.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any suggestions...?

Plenty. But no need to tell anyone until I can check them out. First I think someone needs to get in contact with the people that does the gas mine core drilling all over Kentucky.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Gas Mine Core Drillings"...?

Yes, they drill for natural gas all over in Kentucky. I know they have on Blaine Creek and others. Surely if there were any silver veins they would notice them. Also, one could check with drillers drilling for water. Then there are coal mine shafts and ventilation shafts. Someone would have noticed if there were a vein of silver. One could map all of the natural gas wells and eliminate those areas as a source for a silver mine. I believe the Swift Silver mines are in an area that is not to well traveled nor has any gas company been in the area. I have such an area in mind as I have seen both veins of sandstones in the mountains and I have seen silver running down the hill like candles. Only at the time I did not know how silver should look when a hot forest fire burned it or melted it out of the rocks. I already know where some silver veins run and if I can connect them in to Kentucky then I may be able to find the vein Swift mined even if it is not one of his mines.

Digger1974

Greenie
Jun 26, 2017
Huntington wv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all first of all great reads.i have been interested in the swift case and all other surrounding stories. There was a mention of I believe Spanish coins found near Cox cemetery over by West liberty area. If anyone has been itching to go out I'm from the Huntington area would love to be able to go explore.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they drill for natural gas all over in Kentucky. I know they have on Blaine Creek and others. Surely if there were any silver veins they would notice them. Also, one could check with drillers drilling for water. Then there are coal mine shafts and ventilation shafts. Someone would have noticed if there were a vein of silver. One could map all of the natural gas wells and eliminate those areas as a source for a silver mine. I believe the Swift Silver mines are in an area that is not to well traveled nor has any gas company been in the area. I have such an area in mind as I have seen both veins of sandstones in the mountains and I have seen silver running down the hill like candles. Only at the time I did not know how silver should look when a hot forest fire burned it or melted it out of the rocks. I already know where some silver veins run and if I can connect them in to Kentucky then I may be able to find the vein Swift mined even if it is not one of his mines.

Trying to visualize this in 3D, the probability of a core drill hitting a vein of silver would be very remote indeed. Kind of like shooting the broad side of a barn with a .22 rifle from 100 yrds from the hip, and thinking you will hit a knot in one of the boards. No, you probably have a better chance with the rifle than with a core drill! As far as I know, silver veins are relatively thin like veins in an animal and not sediment deposited layers you could drill through.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all first of all great reads.i have been interested in the swift case and all other surrounding stories. There was a mention of I believe Spanish coins found near Cox cemetery over by West liberty area. If anyone has been itching to go out I'm from the Huntington area would love to be able to go explore.

Spanish coins found in cemetery? I have not heard of this or any find near West Liberty. I assume they were found in a rock house or cave? (hopefully not in a grave site!!! )

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
digger, I don't have the info in front of me. about 1978 I was shown an old silver/lead mine, its just west of cox cemetery. just west of cox cemetery, you will see a creek that flows into the licking river from the south. there is a place right next to the creek that is a U shaped hollow, on the left side of the U is the mine. next to the mine is some small square rocks that are vary burnet. this must have been the furnace. she said the coins where found where the old horse path crosses the licking river just north of the cemetery. between west liberty and Paintsville on the paint creek is a place called flat rock end also the bridge there. silver slugs were found and at the mouth of paint creek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread