Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree271Likes

Thread: Swift Silver??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    153 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I was at Caney yesterday, the water is very low, 20-25 feet wide in places. With the weather the way it's been, combined with the low water it makes for the perfect time to be up there.
    KY Hiker and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    Having the time of my life!

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    110 times
    This is a great find! I see both sides..we may never know..The Indians were very capable of smelting the silver in later years as they had learned the betterways from the white man. Until then a lot of their silver would have been less pure. There is a way to find out, but it costs some big bucks, have it tested with a mass spectrometer it will give you all of the minerals and metals associated with the sample. Then we could compare that with some of the coins and bars found throughout KY and even from the Pigeon water cave find…some might match. We could also take some samples from the six WAY BILL mines upCaney Creek (now that we know where they are) and compare them, even though thepieces found may be more pure they would have some of the same trace elements. Anyone have the connection to the MS equipment? Keep in mind allof the info they got from Hijacker Cooper's tie..hundreds of pieces of info.

By the way this looks nothing like the silver found in Ohio where the Shawnee were finding it not far from Xenia. I have seen one guys find of about 10 pounds ofit..that silver looks like it was spattered by hitting rocks or something. It has been Mass Spectrometer analyzed and contains not only silver, but a large percent of Platinum. There is a ledge of silver that goes several miles 10? Not far from Carter KY and has outcrops that the Indians may have got pieces of. It has some gold in it at places. There is a vein that goes under the Grayson Reservoir Dam — starts near the overflowsection and goes into the hill close by (left if you are facing the dam from down river).
    I think boomer mentioned something about other silver possibilities near the Dam.
    Last edited by Curtis; Feb 17, 2017 at 02:24 PM.
    Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    153 times
    I've been around a ms gun, a couple years ago in a power plant. They had specialty company come in and identify some old structural steel, so they could document a welding procedure. I remember all the talk bout how expensive the equipment was, it told down to decimals the % of each element present. I don't have access to it now. It was a wicked piece and very simple to use. Not sure if ms gun is proper name for it now that I think bout it but we called it "The Gun". They didn't like Boiler makers "playin" with it, I know that For Sure.
    Curtis do you have access to the results of tests done on other pieces, or pictures of other finds in the area that you can share?
    Last edited by Brushy Bandit; Feb 17, 2017 at 05:57 PM.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    153 times
    I have an acid kit, it contains different acids for 4kts of gold, platinum, and silver. Both pieces show a reaction that means silver. This has been my only experience with the acid and I don't know anything other than what the paper that came with the kit tells, which I would consider very minimal and basic. Also Boomer gave a little info on it. Seems like the acid is more for determining plated or solid jewelry. When you see the pieces in person, I believe it is obvious that they contain silver and are more than slag, so the acid really aint much help.
    Last edited by Brushy Bandit; Feb 17, 2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

us
    Mr.

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    201 times
    That equipment sounds like something a University would have. You could try calling U.K. geology dept.
    If its used to check the integrity of welds in steel structures then maybe a state bridge inspector would point you in the right direction?
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    153 times
    It didn't test the quality of the weld just gave the elemental makeup and % of each in the selected piece of metal. It's something I'm gonna look into, simply because I would like to know the story of these pieces and I don't know what other direction to go in.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    153 times
    I've been checking on geology professors at the surrounding universities, I've emailed the two that are the closest, just waiting on their reply, hope it interests them enough to get involved.
    Also, I've found a W carved in a rock. In the middle of the W the lines extend out and make an x instead of a v. I included a picture of it written paper, my phone was dead and didn't get a picture. I'm calling it a hooked W, haha. Anybody ever heard of this or any idea what it could mean? It's looks like the first picture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14876528730452114098794.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	1417360
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14876526925731276957887.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	1417358  
    Last edited by Brushy Bandit; Feb 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM.

us

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    110 times
    The gun is used by scrap metal buyers too. There was one in Cincinnati that had it and (yellow) he moved to n. Carolina. I sold him some Inconel and carbide and he checked the inconel with the gun..that is a good idea if you could find one..and you might try the chemistry departments in universities....those are state institutions and they should help a guy out-taxpayers you know-I don't have anything from tests being done near Caney..I was thinking maybe Boomer (lots of posts on this thread) did for a different area (near Carter)..he maybe able to share where he had the assay done.
    Yea, though I walk through the Valley of Death I will fear no evil for thou art with me.

us

Sep 2008
    Cincinnati
    110 times
    Oh almost forgot...the W is in other places near there, its on the large turtle shaped rock in Caney...I think it signifies hollows-used to think it was mountains but not now.

There is an article in a magazine or newspaper (thinking 1980s) that details three guys going to Caney and finding all kinds of Swift stuff on moss covered boulders..I just never found anything they mentioned except the rock/crack with a lid on it. They said it was the "Lighthouse" swift talks about..and there are two monument rocks he talks about -near the line of rocks-they seem to match-but Until you found the silver I was pretty sure the only silver mines were Indian's..maybe....but maybe Swift's. I will try to dig up the article..the guys were from Jellico and spent some time there. Even found rock with the Swift group members names on it...a guy at National Mines Service Company had also found it but said it was under water now. He didn't tell us where it was.
    franklin, KY Hiker and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    153 times
    2 hollers, hollows down from this W is where the kegs of coins was supposed to be found if I'm not mistakin.
    Ive never seen or heard that story bout the guys from Jellico, but my personal opinion is that it's indians, Spanish, or french. I also believe there are mines on down the Sandy into the main part of the lake. Unfortunately they're like the rock ,underwater, no solid evidence for this belief just hearsay.
    Yeah I'm gonna keep chasing till I find the right path, that helps me figure out all I can about these pieces.

us
    Mr.

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    201 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Oh almost forgot...the W is in other places near there, its on the large turtle shaped rock in Caney...I think it signifies hollows-used to think it was mountains but not now.

There is an article in a magazine or newspaper (thinking 1980s) that details three guys going to Caney and finding all kinds of Swift stuff on moss covered boulders..I just never found anything they mentioned except the rock/crack with a lid on it. They said it was the "Lighthouse" swift talks about..and there are two monument rocks he talks about -near the line of rocks-they seem to match-but Until you found the silver I was pretty sure the only silver mines were Indian's..maybe....but maybe Swift's. I will try to dig up the article..the guys were from Jellico and spent some time there. Even found rock with the Swift group members names on it...a guy at National Mines Service Company had also found it but said it was under water now. He didn't tell us where it was.
    I would be interested in that article if you can find it. If there is a Turtle like rock, names of Swift party carved on rocks, monument rocks... only thing missing is remarkable rock and you got yourself a bonefide Swift location! The \/\/ like symbol seams like an inverted /\/\ found elsewhere, maybe meaning opposite direction from each other or climb the ridge and follow the valley.
    Last edited by KY Hiker; Feb 21, 2017 at 10:36 PM.
    Brushy Bandit and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    153 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170222-221847.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	612.7 KB 
ID:	1418125

I've got a horse I'll trade for 3 sprinkle dollars. The article is dated 11/16/1891.

A later article says Swift wrote 29 known versions of the journal, and at least 16 known versions of the map, after he went blind. He was selling them to help support himself.
    Last edited by Brushy Bandit; Feb 23, 2017 at 09:10 AM.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Hiker View Post
    I would be interested in that article if you can find it. If there is a Turtle like rock, names of Swift party carved on rocks, monument rocks... only thing missing is remarkable rock and you got yourself a bonefide Swift location! The \/\/ like symbol seams like an inverted /\/\ found elsewhere, maybe meaning opposite direction from each other or climb the ridge and follow the valley.
    If the rock wasn't underwater in the 80s, it wouldn't be underwater now. The lake was finished in '68 or '69. Perhaps the article is written years after those guys were here. Does it show pictures?

us
    Mr.

Oct 2014
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    Whites Prizm III
    201 times
    Any updates on the 'objects' found? Have not heard anything in a couple of weeks. Was wondering what the content of the metal is?
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Carter County, KY
    153 times
    Really ain't been on top of anything lately workin 12hrs on night shift,, driving hr and half each way, I'll post when I get some info.
    franklin, Rebel - KGC and KY Hiker like this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links