Swift Silver??

DSL

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The included pics are of silver found in the Grayson Lake area of Elliott county Kentucky. The 2 pieces were found 3 weeks ago and have been acid tested. Results-SILVER!!!! Not just silver but very pure silver as the acid had no effect on the pieces. They were tested in multiple areas and all showed same results, SILVER!! Can't say as to internal content but would venture to say the same results would be found. The smaller piece of the 2 weighs 3.3ozs. Larger of the 2 weighs 11.64 ozs.
Not able to confirm that these have ANYTHING to do with the Swift legend but it sure make me wonder anyway. I am not the lucky finder of the pieces but do know where they were found and know the finder personally. He is a man of great integrity and honesty. If he tells me he found them and where he found them then I have NO doubt as to the credibility of the information.
You can see in the pics, run marks and ripples from being heated. On smaller pieces a curved flat back indicates to me that it was heated and poured with resulting piece left to harden as either overflow or end of pour from container. Have no doubt as to the truth behind this story. It's more than just a story. IT'S A FACTUAL EVENT THAT DID TAKE PLACE AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.

Attachments

• IMG_2969.JPG
    IMG_2969.JPG
    719.9 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_2972.JPG
    IMG_2972.JPG
    963.4 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_2971.JPG
    IMG_2971.JPG
    698 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_2970.JPG
    IMG_2970.JPG
    952.8 KB · Views: 542

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say almost pure silver makes me think they could have been someone's sterling silver from a house fire or cabin burning down? Does not have anything to do with Swift Silver mines.

OP
OP
DSL

DSL

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering location of find (6"-8" underground) and surrounding mines along with the Indian Way Bills.......It definitely has something to do with mines. Swifts mines...can't say myself or can anyone else with any certainty. I just know what was found, where found and it's general location to one of many proposed locations to Swifts mines. How can you say "Has nothing to do with Swifts Silver Mines." with certainty?

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Considering location of find (6"-8" underground) and surrounding mines along with the Indian Way Bills.......It definitely has something to do with mines. Swifts mines...can't say myself or can anyone else with any certainty. I just know what was found, where found and it's general location to one of many proposed locations to Swifts mines. How can you say "Has nothing to do with Swifts Silver Mines." with certainty?

How can you say it has everything to do with Swifts Silver Mines with certainty?

I've detected over home sites that were burned and then buried.....bulldozer comes along, digs a three foot trench, pushes left over debris into the trench then pushes the dirt from the trench over top of the debris. The scenario that franklin proposes is very plausible and most likely closer to the truth than a silver mine.

However, I'm an optimist, perhaps more of the back story will convince me further.

OP
OP
DSL

DSL

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you say it has everything to do with Swifts Silver Mines with certainty?

I've detected over home sites that were burned and then buried.....bulldozer comes along, digs a three foot trench, pushes left over debris into the trench then pushes the dirt from the trench over top of the debris. The scenario that franklin proposes is very plausible and most likely closer to the truth than a silver mine.

However, I'm an optimist, perhaps more of the back story will convince me further.

Please read my post and my reply to Franklin again. I never said it had "everything" to do with Swifts Silver Mines in either post. Location found rules out your theory. Although a very plausible explanation indeed. Just that you couldn't get any kind of mechanized equipment into the area. Now or at any point in the past.
Glad you do have an open mind as I'm just posting what I thought was a VERY interesting find. Especially for the location of the find.
"Forever an optimist!"
If more info or interesting finds are gathered I will post.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a very interesting find! Ive been wanting to see some physical proof of the Indian Silver Mines for awhile now. I live In Elliott and the Waybill has always intrigued me. I totally understand and respect everyones opinions, but Im like you; if that came from the cliffs in an area where there would not have been a home, then it is probable it is from native silver in that area. Awesome find my friend.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given the location of the find I would suspect possibly Indian silver?

Then you too know where this was found? I have not read from DSL post exactly what type of terrain the silver slugs were found? He only said in the Swift Mine area that covers about seven states. Now he ruled out heavy equipment but I have metal detected old log homes most only had dirt floors but when a house or cabin burns it gets hot enough to melt silverware and sterling silver service ware and turn it into chunks just like those posted. I may be wrong but silver out of ore will have impurities such as copper, brass and lead usually about only sixty percent silver. Now when someone tells me it is almost pure silver or is pure silver immediately I say that it is silverware that has melted in a house fire. Now DSL has not ruled this out he only says that he knows where it was found. Well where, not the location of the find but the type of location of the find. Was it found on top a cliff where no one would build a house or log cabin. In a crevice on the side of a cliff, under a cliff or inside of the bowels of the rocks and cliffs. Now if he found it 6 or 8 inches deep in soil then as DSL said then yes there could have been a cabin there that burned down and over the years the silver would sink into the ground until coming upon hard packed soil or bedrock. I need more information to make a decision but pure silver is not smelted silver from ore.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Brushy is just assuming that this was found in the wilderness somewhere on the Grayson Lake area like I am. If it was found in a secluded spot where a home would not be then there is a chance its real. Don't think Brushy was saying he "knew" where it was found just putting together the relation of the Waybill and Grayson Lake. I understand what your saying though Franklin.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The heavier piece I think almost certainly Contains lead in my opinion from the weight and feel of it. The pieces have been acid tested
DSL gave the area as the Grayson lake area ,that covers 1 of the 7 seven states you mentioned.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the exact spots where the pieces were found. They weren't found together, and both were in wilderness, one very close to a rock cliff at Caney.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen your message ya sent DSL. Id love to find out all I can about this area, and would appreciate anything you would show me.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EC isn't Grayson Lake the area Boomer and the others met one year? (I have read all the threads on here and seem to recall it). Seems I recall a thread mentioning the probability of a large vein being found while building the dam? Or am I confusing this with another location?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whiter colored piece has nodules that look like it was poured on to soft ground and then cooled. Looks chalky like lead when it oxyidizes. A knife should be able to shave a peice off smooth if its mostly lead. Silver won't shave like that being harder. The yellowish colored one probably has a different ratio of metals to it. I wonder if these are spillage from native lead being heated to make ball ammo for black powder rifles. That might explain the silver content and there shape. No way to tell how old it is though...

Last edited:
OP
OP
DSL

DSL

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, as for type of location of find. It was found with a metal detector just outside of a large rock overhang located on a very steep hill with large car size boulders strewn about its face. Possible house/cabin site? NO. Excavated dirt,dump or backfill? NO. Terrain is so steep and remote that it's impossible for dump or backfill to have come from above. Excavation wouldn't be possible because equipment would have to be lowered in by a helicopter and that would only be possible after hand digging a platform large enough to lower equipment onto. For anyone that is remotely familiar with the 150' high rock walls, bluffs and remoteness of the lake itself. Not to mention the numerous long gorges that form the head waters and feeder creeks of the lake itself. When Grayson Lake was impounded in 1969 it flooded a very large natural gorge. It was put in place as flood control management for the town of Grayson. I hope this reply has put the location of find into perspective for those wondering, questioning or doubting the plausibility of it being part of a lost silver mine.
I'd like to add one thing that I hadn't previously addressed. The larger piece could possibly contain lead as it is very heavy for its size. I'm certain the owner isn't going to separate the piece to find out for certain but it is highly likely.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No you are exactly right. Back in 2009 or 2010 there was a "meeting of the minds." I believe Boomer, Curtis and many other experts in this field attended. I was going to go but due to a sickness in my family I was unable to. I hated it too especially when it was in my own back yard.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is often found with lead! I know this country and I know the terrain. I firmly believe you found something special.
Okay, as for type of location of find. It was found with a metal detector just outside of a large rock overhang located on a very steep hill with large car size boulders strewn about its face. Possible house/cabin site? NO. Excavated dirt,dump or backfill? NO. Terrain is so steep and remote that it's impossible for dump or backfill to have come from above. Excavation wouldn't be possible because equipment would have to be lowered in by a helicopter and that would only be possible after hand digging a platform large enough to lower equipment onto. For anyone that is remotely familiar with the 150' high rock walls, bluffs and remoteness of the lake itself. Not to mention the numerous long gorges that form the head waters and feeder creeks of the lake itself. When Grayson Lake was impounded in 1969 it flooded a very large natural gorge. It was put in place as flood control management for the town of Grayson. I hope this reply has put the location of find into perspective for those wondering, questioning or doubting the plausibility of it being part of a lost silver mine.
I'd like to add one thing that I hadn't previously addressed. The larger piece could possibly contain lead as it is very heavy for its size. I'm certain the owner isn't going to separate the piece to find out for certain but it is highly likely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread