Prather's Book On The Swift/Long John Silver Connection

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought his book a few years ago tittled: "The Strange Case Of Jonathan Swift And The Real Long John Silver". Has anyone else here read this book? (I am sure there are many) To me, the history and general information on Swift was enjoyable but, I just was not convinced about any Robert Louis Stevenson connection. It felt like to me that a giant leap had been made without enough supporting evidence.

What are your thoughts? I live in Kentucky and most of the folks around here have never heard of any of this. I stumbled upon this legend about 25 years ago and have read a bit here and there but Prather's book was the first chance I had to get a lot of information from a single source.

I checked the topics prior to making this one and did not see this book discused in any of them. If I missed where it has been discussed then I apologize in advance. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Bill

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased his book a little over three weeks ago. It was right interesting the first thirty pages or so and the last thirty pages or so but when he got off on the Long John Silver he lost me and I did not want to read it. It was all right as he was on the same trail of research as I was and I had hoped it would help me along. But no I am right back where I was. The book was cheap so I did not expect too much.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing Pirate labs. I haven't read the book but I have read a review or details about it. I remember that he used facts and created fiction to go along with it, like the da vinca code. He thought that
Louis Stevenson might have been inspired by the Swift legend, to create Treasure Island. You've made me curious tho, I'm gonna look it up.

OP
OP
P

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing Pirate labs. I haven't read the book but I have read a review or details about it. I remember that he used facts and created fiction to go along with it, like the da vinca code. He thought that
Louis Stevenson might have been inspired by the Swift legend, to create Treasure Island. You've made me curious tho, I'm gonna look it up.

I totally agree that it seemed like he made up connections of facts to form a theory and somehow was able to draw conclusions that I do not think were supported by the evidence. It is well worth reading though, because there is a lot of information about the history of that time and he goes over the various legends of Swift, I just can't make the Long John Silver leap at all.

Bill

OP
OP
P

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased his book a little over three weeks ago. It was right interesting the first thirty pages or so and the last thirty pages or so but when he got off on the Long John Silver he lost me and I did not want to read it. It was all right as he was on the same trail of research as I was and I had hoped it would help me along. But no I am right back where I was. The book was cheap so I did not expect too much.

Well, I paid around $20 for it which included shipping so I forced myself to read the whole thing, ha ha. I did enjoy many parts of this book but, like you, I think the Long John business is really out there. One thing that always gets me about books of this type is that IF the author had all of the evidence and clues required to locate the mines/treasure, etc. why doesn't he do it? Then, he could write a book about that which really would be worth reading.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought his book a few years ago tittled: "The Strange Case Of Jonathan Swift And The Real Long John Silver". Has anyone else here read this book? (I am sure there are many) To me, the history and general information on Swift was enjoyable but, I just was not convinced about any Robert Louis Stevenson connection. It felt like to me that a giant leap had been made without enough supporting evidence.

What are your thoughts? I live in Kentucky and most of the folks around here have never heard of any of this. I stumbled upon this legend about 25 years ago and have read a bit here and there but Prather's book was the first chance I had to get a lot of information from a single source.

I checked the topics prior to making this one and did not see this book discused in any of them. If I missed where it has been discussed then I apologize in advance. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Bill

I have not bought this book yet, it is on my list of things to read. I believe the author said that Treasure Island should be read before reading his take on things...so I have added that to my reading list as well...it is an old classic. As to your wondering about any discussion on this topic. I did post a video presentation of the author in Prestonburg, KY in a thread. Link to it is below.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/l...esentation-about-swift-given-prestonburg.html

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I saw that video, thanks. In the video he placed a cardinal map near Shelby Branch on the Levisa River. Then in his book he made a cardinal map of 23,000 acres plus or minus down near Mammoth Cave on the Green River. Why two locations? He had a logical explanation for both locations. I particularly liked his old deeds and maps. They are hard to find without going to Lexington or Frankfurt, Kentucky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread