OP
OP
Curtis

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, winter would best to walk. but if we could do it with a boat, It will be so much faster...even a pontoon boat...They rent them at the marina for $200 for 10 hours..checked it out for the expedition unknown guys...if we had enough interest and a for sure thing I would spring for the boat(pontoon).

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant walk all the way to the Lid Gap even at winter pool, you'd have to cross at least 4 or 5 ft of water twice, and the muds deeper than that. Haha And above the creek need on the ridge you would have to repel down cliff. You can get to the line of rock and the first horseshoe bend tho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curtis

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right Brushy, In my crude way I was trying to say that. haha. I think we did it once, went all the way on land...the tightest place was just before the huge rock house the ol mine is in...used fallen tree to make it. had to go up the small hollows that had mud at the mouth of them. On the other location...If you go down the old logging trail (where the saddle tree is) it brings you close to the line of rocks, maybe 100-200 feet away then you have to have a boat as the water comes right up to where the logging road goes into the river. I think.

OP
OP
Curtis

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I say something wrong or is it summer and everyone is on vacation?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been busy with the garden and yard. I'm about to go back to the RRGorge and take some more pics of the area around the pointer tree. I check daily on here and was wondering when you were thinking of going to Caney?

OP
OP
Curtis

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just visited with Mason via email, he says he is up for it, but doesn't have a boat now...he mentioned renting one from the Marina and a few of us chipping in...its $200-$250 for 10 hours for a pontoon that holds at least 10 people. We could visit the whole Way Bill from the Crane to the Caney boat ramp! Take all the pictures we want and even look for some of the landmarks Boomer has mentioned.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtis I cant remember if you wrote about how one of the Waybill mines was "stripped mined" in this thread or not but I think I know the rock house your talking about. Its between the gap and line of rocks. If your going down Little Sandy it would be on your left. If you go to the far side of the rockhouse in the deepest part you will find some rocks covering two old pieces of plywood that are braced by two pieces of rebar covering a hole. About 10 years ago I was in there with my detector and it picked up the rebar. I found the boards, moved them then seen the rebar. The hole which a smaller man can climb in had buckets from what looked like the 1980s and someone had made what I called scoops out of cut coffee cans with a bolt ran through it. I could go down so far but it got tight. For some reason we took the buckets and scoops. I was with my Dad and have pictures of this Ill dig out. When we left we covered the hole back up. What it was used for I don't know, but someone drug those boards and rebar down in those cliffs to hide that hole for some reason. You may have already found it but just had it on my mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curtis

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Mason,

that sounds interesting, I didn't find it...but we should check it out.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like someone was doing a little exploration mining of their own. I heard Mrs. Timmin's sank a hole similar along Swift Camp Creek. No coffee cans though LOL!

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I didn't understand the "scoops" that we found. Could have been kids doing something but again just the fact that someone brought big pieces of rebar and the plywood that far off the beaten path puzzles me. I have those pictures somewhere and will dig them up.

OP
OP
Curtis

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mason has/had a relative that lived in the area of there line of rocks or farmed it, he might know what it may be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread